DIY Skills

I’m another one that’s rubbish.
I do all the gardening and growing stuff, but no good with inside jobs.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

;-):wink:

50 years ago I was servicing my own car, 40 years ago I was growing veg, tiling a bathroom wall, 20 years ago I was still doing my own decorating. But nowadays I leave all that to the younger generation.

I wish there was a like button here…brilliant Bratti!

Managed to stop the leaking from the down pipe that may be an expansion from the boiler, whenever the central heating went on. I stuck some Gorilla tape around the join yesterday, and above and below. Seems to have done the trick.

Nothing like the best tools for the job…

http://i.imgur.com/fyDq08N.jpg

I am no longer capable with anything requiring a fair amount of physical effort due to my age, but anything bench fixable will always command my attention. When I was physically capable I successfully tackled all tasks from roof to groundwork, but when decorating reared its ugly head, I soon decided to pass that lot over to trusted professionals, because being a perfectionist, paint and me to not get along nicely together :wink:

Tightening your nuts? :-p

grapevine is out

yes yesterday decided not worth keeping. The small red grapes didn’t taste nice anyway and not enough to press for even a glass full
So cut it down and got out the main root leaving more light into the greenhouse and small flower bed

In doing so I disturbed a paving slab cut to fit at the time (part of one cut for an angle)

this is where the vine stem was and 2x2 rotten support post in that rough grey bit

So just now cemented the red paving slab back and it looks horrible now the vine doesn’t hide it.

Easiest thing is a flower pot or small trough to hide it. Yes I could go get another slab and cut but can’t be bothered

Very firmly.

I’m pretty handy at most things, having spent most of my working life in construction, but my Achilles heels are plastering and electrics which, if anything other than an absolute necessity, I invariably leave to the experts! :slight_smile:

I reckon that unless your nuts are well secured, your screws could become loose;-)

Before you consider any kind of filling-in, what about planting some spring bulbs for a small but pleasant display after what could be a cold winter:-D

I reckon that, if your a bloke, if you don’t check your nuts regularly, you’re a right spanner.

an idea did think of as well, just got to go to garden centre to measure up a trough first that is slim . Same as we’ve strawberry plants in

Is it AF - Metric - BSP or Whitworth Besoeker…?

I think that family passing on of DIY skills should be as important as Potty training or learning to read & write.

The youngsters should be involved in every task.

I know people who are happy even though they have to get someone in to change a plug fuse!

:shock:

I’m not much good at plastering either. I have had a go and can get it to a reasonable finish for tiling over or perhaps in a cupboard but I take my hat off to the experts. The plasterer I used to give work to was an absolute genius.

I’m happy to try my hand at some things, though I’m not an expert at anything.

Electrical work - to an extent, probably limited to simple connections and fittings, etc.
Building - I did once build a lean-to garage which is still standing and looks reasonably straight!
Woodwork - I put together a set of bookshelves filling the whole side of a room and a couple of cabinets. Certainly not professional carpentry, though.
Roofing - I have replaced our guttering, but that’s about it (and admittedly we are in a bungalow - I’m afraid of heights).
Gardening - Marge’s department.
Plumbing - not a chance, though I once replaced a washer!
Painting - hate it. If I really have to do it, Marge has to do the edges.
Plastering - What’s that?