DIY Skills

How would you rate yours?:smiley:

1 Like

not very high

Iā€™m not bad Paulineā€¦i quite like decorating and furniture restorationā€¦Iā€™m rubbish with electrics .

Donā€™t be daft manā€¦your DIY is brilliant,what ever made you say that?

You have posted some of your diy work,Iā€™m shocked at your reply.:shock:

Another modest personā€¦any more projects on the go Summer?:smiley:

Why do you ask Pauline, got a project in mind?

Iā€™m rubbish .

Pauline
There are far more skilled members on here than my little efforts

I disagree,you are up there with the top ten diy members.

I have seen your work,excellentā€¦your wife is very blessed to have such a practical manā€¦

I am pretty rubbish as wellā€¦

But your paintings are amazing,trust me I have viewed them.

Very special giftā€¦I belong to an art site on FBā€¦I am amazed by their giftingā€¦yet it comes so naturally to themā€¦like yours does.

Good at decorating.
Not bad with basic electrics and plumbing
Good with a Black and Decker drill (Dad taught me well)
Good at laying carpets and making soft furnishings
Good at tiling - find it relaxing.
Wonā€™t touch gas.
Rubbish at gardening!

My Dad always said that the most important thing to know about DIY was when to call in the professionals!:-D:-D

I wouldnā€™t say Iā€™m good but I do like decorating, Iā€™ve not long finished painting and wallpapering our dining room. Itā€™s a slow job for me and I need to wear my back brace for but I get there eventually. Mr Mags canā€™t use steps but he does help me by putting the paste on the wallpaper and holding the steps when Iā€™m on them. He can still do his ground level diy jobs which I sometime help out with. :slight_smile:

Brilliant Pauline! Iā€™ll have a go at anything. My engineering background has served me well over the years, but itā€™s the drive and enthusiasm thatā€™s left meā€¦:frowning: Just canā€™t seem to be arsed these daysā€¦ I donā€™t want to die on the end of of a brush, or up a ladderā€¦:009:

Iā€™m good at Laplace transformers.

Well Iā€™m not modest. Iā€™m good at D.I.Yā€™s.
Iā€™ve got my own tools; both hand and power. My own bandsaw, scroll saw and lathe. Iā€™m a woodcarver and painter - both acrylic and water colours. Iā€™ve helped my husband replace an entire back wall including windows & doors ( joists,sils,partial floors, etc),
Help laid our top floor with solid maple wood, help cut down trees, paint & decorate. Iā€™m a avid gardener and even built my own cedar greenhouse in 2017 by myself which Iā€™m quite proud of.

Brilliant Bratti!

Personally I hate things like painting but I have tools and used to be good at repairing things like cars and mechanical or electrical/electronic things in general.

These days not so good because I do it less, for example I canā€™t crawl under a car anymore, well I can but once there getting out is a problem.

I used to do lot of welding too and made lots of things, I have been thinking of getting a MIG welder for smaller jobs now that oxy acetylene cylinders are so ridiculously expensive.

My kids often bring things for me to repair or build but I do a lot more pointing and telling them how to do it nowadays.

Competent at some things, and Iā€™d give it my best shot. I actually love DIY and learning how things in the house work.

Have done my own painting in the past, albeit not a professional finish, but hey, my home! Love woodwork, and have made many items.

Can change a plug, and a fuse.

Have my own set of tools. Drills, jig saw, sander, screwdrivers, and all the various bits that go in a tool box.

Today I have bought some Gorilla tape and will have a go at sealing the leaking pipe that goes from my boiler (the leak is almost at ground level). When I put the heating on, water escapes from maybe the joint or a crack, and as I want the heating on nowadays, am fed up at seeing all that water escaping.

@ Bratti

Some nice plants there :wink:

Hmmm I enjoy gardening and absolutely love doing things in the garden hard or soft DIY.

I am not bad at wallpapering and do enjoy the finished result. With painting woodwork not bad, but not a lot of patience so have to be in the mood.

Cannot stand putting emulsion on large areas so choose wallpaper every time.

Happy to have a go at plumbing in washing machine and fit kitchens units etc not keen on the circular saw so happy to get worktops if required done by professionals and my ā€œfearā€ makes me not ā€œsafe enough to tryā€ not bad at tiling or grouting have laid laminate and carpet. Built sheds from flat pack and from scratch.

But some things I will get in professionals such as hanging doors etc