Dining out alone

QR codes are joyless things! Browsing a proper menu is all part of the experience, a ritual even?

4 Likes

Menus now have calorific information on them.
As a cutlery numpty, one would like to see a Knife and fork difficulty classification displayed also :smiling_face_with_tear:

4 Likes

One could choose their Steak options for example based on it :laughing:

Your sawing away and a sprout jumps ship :+1: :laughing:

2 Likes

I think the french and italians have more of a love of food than us english - we tend to ā€˜shovel’ it in, or eat to live…

4 Likes

ā€œWatch Keepingā€.
ā€œ5 Watchesā€: 4 On, 8 Off. Dining With Company.

Slap, Bang, Wallop.
2 ā€œDog’ Watchesā€.
Each 2 On, 8 Off. [To break the Routine]
Dining Alone. Perchance with One other.
Who wants to be alone anyway?!

Do that nonstop for 2yrs. On The Trot.
ā€œDining Aloneā€. Breakfast Lunch or Diner.
Is as easy as. A ā€œDogā€ with a Bone.
:rofl: Not Laffin.

2 Likes

Good question!

1 Like

I want to be alone
sometimes
but not in a restaurant
ever

3 Likes

Other people want me to be alone, sometimes.

3 Likes

alone with your thoughts.

2 Likes

The queue boards the bus, you stay put, and revel in the Empty Bus Stop Syndrome :grin:

2 Likes

Walking into a posh restaurant alone gives me the same feeling when I’m with Mrs Fox in M&S.
I’m following her around the lingerie department while she examines bra’s and panties…
My attention is suddenly drawn away to something, and when I look back, Mrs Fox has disappeared…
:open_mouth:
So there I am, surrounded by bra’s and sexy knickers and everyone wondering what the hell I’m doing there…
:disguised_face:

5 Likes

Just strike up polite conversation!
ā€œExcuse me, but haven’t I seen you in Ann Summersā€?

Always works for me! :open_mouth:

2 Likes

:joy: Brill.
ā€œeveryone wondering what the hell I’m doing thereā€ā€¦

As was Jethro.
Sitting There. Looking after the bag Green Groceries’ Waiting for his wife to call him to a cubicle and give his opinion as to which Bra he prfered.
About to nod off. She suddenly calls him.
Jumping up, some of the shopping fell out of the bag.

Scrambling to the cubicle. There was a loud Scream.
ā€œWhat the devil are you doing hereā€.
ā€œWith that Melon in your handā€
Yep typical Jethro.
It was the Wrong Cubicle
Security Arrives. To chuck him out
image
ā€œSorry Guv. But that was the Right Sizeā€.

Now we Know Why.
He is Right to Eat Alone.
And Fitting Bras. Is Left Alone.
:wink: E :wink:

2 Likes

Due to traveling quite a bit before retirement (and some of it solo), I am well versed in solo dining. I still do it quite often when I’m at my beach house and my wife decides to stay at the other house. Many times, I will sit at the bar and eat. Allows me to see what’s going on behind the bar, sometimes (depending on the restaurant) in the kitchen and strike up conversations with the bartenders and/or other patrons. I’m not the most outgoing person but have found that I often end up in conversations with others when sitting there.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum Rob!
You can’t beat good old fashioned hospitality

brian-glover_an-american-werewolf-in-london-3253929084

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Welcome from me too.Just don’t go out on the moors at night. :fearful:

3 Likes

And welcome from me too Mr Rob61 from North Carolina. I also dined mostly alone when I was travelling extensively on business.

2 Likes

Yeah, a big welcome from me too Rob…You got two houses?
:astonished:
One thing I hate when visiting a restaurant or cafe is sitting facing a wall.
Mrs Fox and me went for lunch at the village cafe’ yesterday, there are a row of tables down the side for two with a bench seat along the wall and a chair on the opposite side.
Mrs Fox made for the bench seat while I took the chair facing the wall.
It felt like being cut off from humanity, all the coming and goings behind me with Mrs Fox keeping an eye on proceedings while I stared at the wall devoid of any action or even conversation, while Mrs Fox nodded and chatted with some of the other diners.
:frowning_face:

3 Likes

Oh yes!
I hate that too Foxy… makes me feel most uncomfortable :persevere:

2 Likes

Bingo!

Found it on Amazon… better get practising. I’ll dig out a couple of old t shirts! :spaghetti::open_mouth:

3 Likes