Dining out alone

Out for Sunday lunch with my daughter at the weekend we noticed a lady being shown to a table, after ordering a glass of wine and her meal she sat reading her book until it arrived, eating it quite happily

Not sure I could do that, I think I would feel too self conscious,
maybe if I knew the staff

Could you, do you eat out alone ?

3 Likes

On the odd occasion that I have eaten alone in some establishment, it does feel strange and a bit uncomfortable.
Mrs Fox was assisting at the local Festival of Art last weekend. After passing the village cafe’ on my way to have a wander round the festival, I decided to call in at the cafe’ for a light lunch.
The cafe’ was alive with conversation and the chinking of pots as I strutted through the door.
Some people were surprised to see an old bloke in a pair of shorts march up to the counter with one eye on a small vacant table at back of the premises.
I ignored the stares and approached the waiting assistant stood behind the counter.
ā€œCould I have one of your finest jacket potatoes with Tuna pleaseā€ I asked…
She smiled and informed me in no uncertain terms that the usual cook was on holiday this week and only cake and tea were available.
It felt like a punch in the stomach, everyone held their breath and stared, it reminded me of the times when I was young and gingerly crept into the chemist for a pack of condoms…
:open_mouth:
ā€œNo problemā€ I replied ā€œI fancied something more substantialā€ She smiled and apologised as I backed out of the establishment…

2 Likes

Its good Foxy, to see a geezer of a certain age, making a stand. :icon_wink:

2 Likes

No.Although I don’t like dining out at all. :grinning:

2 Likes

It has its pros and its cons :grin:

1 Like

Someone else does the cooking and washing up I suppose.

3 Likes

I travelled a lot on my job and often stayed in hotels where I ate by myself.

4 Likes

I don’t have a problem with it at all and have dined many times on my own, usually when it’s been to do with work or when I used to compete in certain sports.

These days, that is all behind me and I can’t envisage when I’ll dine alone again being as I’m retired. But I wouldn’t bother me if I had to again.

3 Likes

Dining alone has less dilemmas, one does not have consider ā€œGoing Dutchā€ :smile:

4 Likes

I have done when travelling in the past. I was okay with it but much prefer company, depending on who it is of course! :open_mouth:

1 Like

That’s what makes car ownership so necessary nowadays, you can use the ā€œDrive Throughā€ :icon_wink:

1 Like

Can’t beat candlelight! :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

I know what you mean about feeling self conscious.
I think men tend to do this more than women, but i often nip into the pub for an informal bite to eat when in town shopping alone.

It’s very different to dining alone in the evening at a proper restaurant, which is more of a social ocassion.

If i travel up north to see my sister, i often stay at a hotel on the way, so eating alone can’t be avoided at breakfast time etc.

2 Likes

I do it all the time, doesn’t worry me at all.

Often I see people I know when eating locally, we have a chat but they know not to invite me to join them, I always refuse.

At one place I asked to be moved because the seated me by the kitchen entrance out of the way.

2 Likes

I’ve dined alone most of my life while out on a wild desolate windswept moor…

Sorry about the quality, photography had only just been invented back in 1981

3 Likes

Nothing wrong with snapshots Foxy, there’s a kind of honesty!

2 Likes

Yes I’m quite happy doing this in informal places, usually when I’m killing time somewhere. No one takes any notice of you they’re all too wrapped up in their own problems.

4 Likes

Or busy fiddling with their phones.
:iphone:

5 Likes

I’m definitely a phone ā€˜fiddler’ but only when sitting at a table on my own - never when in company!

1 Like

Going into a restaurant and getting a table for one can feel a bit awkward but after a few times it is surprising how you get used to it. And its certain the restaurant staff are used to single diners. I much prefer going out to a restaurant than dining on my own in a hotel restaurant - for some reason I am put off by many other solitary diners.
I remember doing a project up in Newcastle and Monday evening was always on my own (others in team came the next day). My routine was walk from the hotel up Earl Gray Street, turn off onto a side road and into a pub / restaurant (PTMY). Grab a beer, they had a great selection, drink half while reading one of the newspapers they provided. Take the rest of the pint into their restaurant, finish while ordering & waiting, read my book, order a glass of wine and scoff my dinner. Same every Monday - perfect.

3 Likes