Dining out alone

I think it’s kinda sad seeing someone dining alone when it’s not work related.
Speaking from experience of course.
From a work point of view, I ate alone many times when it was too late for Mrs Fox to do a dinner for me when doing a long distance delivery as a courier. Little Chef’s or MacDonalds were usually the prefered eating establishments and I never felt uncomfortable in either of those.
For Mrs Fox and me life has never been a bowl of cherries (or something) all of the time during our 54 years of marriage.
And a couple of times I needed more space to contemplate our future.
The last occasion was a couple of years ago when I left home and stayed in a Premier Inn for 4 nights in Hull. I ate breakfast alone and even ventured out to a restaurant for Sunday lunch.
A right Billy No mates…
Evening meal was usually a pack of M&S sandwiches while watching world snooker on the telly.
Days were spent in the good weather meandering up and down the banks of the river Humber.
I returned home after the fourth night and we Ironed out our problems…
We remain together to this day…

1 Like

Having dined out, in a work related matter, with other people I can very much confirm that often its preferable to eat alone than try to make conversation with some dull person from another company. Putting up with dismal work chat is much sadder than sat on your ownsome with a good book, a decent bit of nosh and a nice glass of something.

5 Likes

It never bothers me dining alone. Do it all the time! You have to, with no family nearby, or friends doing their own thing. I don’t see why I should miss out on a good meal (hopefully) and the opportunity to sit with a book.

I was in the carvery today while dog at groomers, but just had a pot of tea, and a comfy armchair. When I finished, I stood by my car admiring the Broads. Can’t beat it.

5 Likes

A cheeseburger from the Saver Menu, no fries. I might sit for a minute or two. That’s about it.

3 Likes

Just a Hamburger on the saver menu and cup of tea usually hits the spot for me d00d

A famous dietician was asked ‘If you really had to eat something at MacDonalds, what would it be’
She replied…Just a Hamburger.
Good enough for me…

2 Likes

I’m going to suggest that scoffing fast food does not really equate to dining out. Even if you sit in. Dining out surely means a proper restaurant and spending more than 15 minutes sat down. Other indicators might be, but not limited to, cloth napkin, table cloth, waiter/waitress, wine list, food cooked to order, subtle lighting, ordering at the table rather at a counter.

2 Likes

Except for the first two that is dining in an Australian licenced club. Oh, and perhaps less of the subtle lighting (though some do)

1 Like

It all depends which class you belong to Lincs…
‘Dining out’ means different things to different people…
I regularly visit a Fish and Chip restaurant and I consider it ‘dining out’ even though I don’t drink wine or shove a napkin down the from of my shirt…

As it happens, I’m just on my way to ‘Dine out’ at my favourite garden centre, but Mrs Fox will be accompanying me…so not alone…and because it’s a bit of a drive…no wine either.

2 Likes

I agree with what some of you have said, if it’s work related ok, or maybe during a long journey, but I wouldn’t like actually dining in a restaurant alone.

3 Likes

Fair points but I’m going to stick with my claim that grabbing a burger from MacD’s is not dining out.

4 Likes

In our house we say ‘shall we eat out tonight’?
This could mean either fish and chips, a big mac (which i don’t eat anyway) or a restaurant.
It’s just the opposite of ‘eating in’.

3 Likes

I am a bit awkward, never attended the knife and fork etiquette course.

Had to work it out unilaterally :grin:

Best off ordering a dish that involved a spoon :laughing:

1 Like

I vote we all go back to basics… :+1:

1 Like

Back in the formative years, one did not need a knife and fork for egg and chips.

2 Likes

You need to attend a course to work out that one goes in one hand and the other goes in the other hand?

1 Like

Decorum is never black and white

1 Like

It would take a certain amount of confidence and dexterity to go out on a date if she had a preference for twenty inches!

Especially in a pristine crisp white shirt!
I used to quite like that long spaghetti…

2 Likes

That stuff is a battle with a knife and fork, unless you are very dexterous :icon_wink:

3 Likes

Yes, I’m sorely tempted to buy some and have a practice!
I’ll just need to find some really nice Italian wine to help me on my way :yum: :it::spaghetti:

3 Likes

That will definitely help with the decorum :icon_wink:

3 Likes