Dieting - how is everyone else losing weight and are your ways working?

Well done Alicat and marpaul… I hope this week is a good one and at the end you can say goodbye to a pound or two in weight not in Morrisons or Asda.

Don’t tell anyone but I listened to one of the links young Ted put up and the bloke said that walnuts do not raise your blood sugar levels so you could snack on them.

Fruit on the other hand does raise your blood sugar and so you would be hungry again quite quickly. Get some soft cheese and eat it with celery one of me faves.

I appreciate it is difficult for some people to understand science which is why I took the trouble to explain to people how to use the site IGNORE facility so they are not obliged to have their thoughts challenged if they don’t enjoy science based debates.

For many people the low carbohydrate diet doesn’t contain enough of the right kind of fibre.
There is absolutely no restriction on above ground vegetables in most low carbohydrate diets.
If we are going to change and improve the nature of our gut flora to reduce the pathogenic flora associated with obesity, it is important to ensure a regular supply of Fructooligosaccharide however if you start with Jerusalem Artichokes beware it takes a while for your gut flora to get used to metabolising them and the short term consequences may be embarrassing.
If you are taking sufficient magnesium there should be no problem with regularity on a low carbohydrate HIGH FAT diet.

It isn’t necessary to increase meat/protein content when eating a low carbohydrate diet. I accept some people give the impression low carbohydrate diets allow you to eat to appetite but that should not be taken as eating everything that’s available. If you are eating sufficient fat then the satiety hormones should be secreted and the ileum brakes to appetite should be activated.

I see no point in discussing this topic with you further Ted .
I can see that you are not going to think for yourself and so will inevitably not benefit from the latest research that’s available and which has enabled me to improve my quality of life and exist without the need for prescription medicines.

It is sad that some people have such closed minds they aren’t willing to understand how they may benefit if they considered the wealth of information that is now freely available online.

Regarding fibre. I and hubs eat plenty of nuts and seeds throughout the day and I take psyllium husk every day too. My husbands diabetic meds keep his bowel regular, but I need the extra fibre.

Today for breakfast we had sausages, bacon and eggs followed by strawberries.

After his weight loss hubs is busy with DIY and feeling very much better. He is now taking extra magnesium and Omega 6,3,9 and Vitamin D3

Why we get fat

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9079LV4tY&feature=channel]http://i4.ytimg.com/vi/KH9079LV4tY/default.jpg
2012 Provost’s Distinguished Lecture: Gary Taubes

For people who have not yet heard Gary Taubes this is the most recent version of his talk.

Comes from
[url=http://lib.utsa.edu/general/why-we-get-fat/]http://lib.utsa.edu/files/default/UTSA_Logo_Orange.jpg
Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat: Adiposity 101 and the Alternative Hypothesis of Obesity Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2012 6:00 p.m.

Review of the talk here.
Cutting the fat Expert explains alternative theory on why we gain weight

I’m not convinced anyone needs extra omega 6, in most modern meat the omega 6 level is already too high and we really just need omega 3 to balance it out. We make our own omega 9 so don’t have to supplement with that.
While the amount of omega 3’s (EPA & DHA) we get from FLAXSEED/LINSEED is disappointing it’s still the case that ground flaxseed is a good source of both soluble and insoluble fibre and vits/mins

Time to put a sock in it Ted

Surely if I had said anything that was untrue or not scientific or not evidence based that may be the case but I am absolutely convinced everything I have written is the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

The only people who should shut up are those who are totally unable to back up anything they say with anything that looks like evidence.

Surely you agree that if we believe what we are saying is true and have the evidence to support what we are saying then we should have the courage of our convictions and stand our ground against those who only talk poppycock.

A great scientific answer Suzanna!;-):lol:

Its just so boring all it proves is that Ted stayed awake during the copy and paste lesson at his local college. well done Ted

Well perhaps you could explain how fat gets into fat cells and what the circumstances are which allow the body to use the calories stored in fat cells as fuel?

This is what dieters need to understand and the idea that they either have to endure hunger (semi starvation) or exercise to release those stored calories isn’t the answer because we know from all the research that been done that 98% of people doing that regain their lost weight over the next 5 yrs. It has to be a way of eating people can stick with long term.

We’ve been saying eat less exercise more for the last 30 years, that obviously isn’t working so it’s about time we made the effort to understand the science so we don’t keep making those same mistakes.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

We could try doing the same as they are now doing in Sweden

[url=http://www.dietdoctor.com/the-swedish-low-carb-revolution]http://s3.dietdoctor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/LCHFDemoskopEngelska21.jpg
The Swedish Low Carb Revolution

We don’t have to act stupid or be stupid,
We can use our brains.
If you haven’t anything constructive or helpful to say why not stay silent.

Young Ted I believe you are now winding us up. You are thouroughly enjoying yourself. I totally agree, afterall it was me that started this in the first place but not everyone wants to hear it. As I said before young man you are pushing on an open door.

Thanks Cookiecate and thanks for all your advice and information, very helpful. :023:

Pity this thread was hijacked and turned into chaos. Anything I can ever do to help you in your journey to good health and weightloss will be my pleasure. Ihave lived with being overweight all of my life and I know this is my last chance to get gorgeous.

Well if I can do it anyone can.
I’ve got the disadvantage that because of my late effects of polio I’m totally unable to work off surplus calories.
I had to find a way to lose weight that fitted in with my love of red wine and eating yet didn’t require me to exist on starvation rations.
So many people think that you have to eat less and exercise more, yet when they try that they find either they can’t keep it up or they just get used to exercise more and their metabolism slows down so they find it doesn’t make any difference.
But there is a way and I’m sure you can all learn from someone who has successfully lost weight and not regained.
On my PC at the moment I’m reading this paper where it tells us the high-protein fed mice needed almost 7 times more energy to achieve a weight gain of 1 g than mice on the high-sucrose diet Now who still thinks that a calorie is a calorie when it takes 7 times more protein than sugar to increase weight 1g?

You mustn’t shut you minds off to what scientists and researchers can tell us. It’s such a shame that so many people have closed minds and are dead set on making the same mistakes time and time again without learning from the science how these mistakes can be avoided.

You must have had a struggle with keeping in the boundaries of a healthy weight.

Certainly I could not survive on the starvation rations or even eating less and exercising more. I have arthritis and I find any exercise apart from swimming very painful.

I am convinced that my metabolism slowed down and has been difficult to kick start again after living on amphetamine pills that my doctors used to give me like they were smarties.

I would have one boiled egg with a slice of toast in the morning and nothing else until I drank a bottle of wine each night to bring myself down from the high the pills had put me on. This went on for weeks, months and years.

I have tried low fat diets with the aid of xenical capsules which pass 33% of any fat that you take in through your bowels. This is most unpleasant and I ended up not eating any fat whatsover and still only lost a few pounds each month.

Then we talked to my husbands doctor and although he would not give his blessing on a low carb high fat diet he eventually agreed that being obese and having no control over blood glucose was just as much a risk as getting kidney disease through too much fat.

Since we both began to eat properly we are in control of our food intake we don’t get hungry and we are not tempted to eat anything that we shouldn’t.

What is annoying is when my husband went back after losing weight and showing his blood glucose had gone down. They stll said ahhhh yes but your cholesterol will go up. So we are now waiting for the test results to come back to show that his cholesterol will not have gone up. Certainly not the bad one any way.

You are quite right we must never shut our minds to anything that is out there. People died because doctors didn’t wash their hands and I expect the first doctor to point that out was scorned. I will always listen to anyones views even though I may disagree sometimes.

It’s obvious Ted that the science of food and it’s effect on one’s diet interests you greatly but I think you are going to needless lengths to get your findings across to the members on this forum.
I don’t believe this thread was meant to be a heavy science lesson on how much knowledge there is out there on the internet.
Although I do understand the the details of the LCD diet it is only one of many diets and others may have a wish to follow their own choices.
If your interest is predominantly in the LCD diet an interesting site with like minded people is the Blogg of Michael R Eades, MD. who makes some interesting reading and debates.

While it is quiet in here and nobody seems to be around I will knock off a few cob webs and just say that Mr Cookie has lost 30lbs since January 1st and I have lost 17lbs since Jan 31st.

His bloods are now normal and he has stopped taking one of the diabetes medications Glucoside and is so full of energy and looking good.

I have lost a dress size and will be off to get my hair cut and streaked to keep up with a handsome new husband.

Very well done to both you and Mr Cookie, Cate :038:

Have you both set yourself loss targets?

He would like to be down to 16 stones and as he is now down to 17. 10 that seems doable by his birthday in May.

Me, well I want to be able to get into a size 16 in everything. At the moment I am a 20 just arrived from 22. I have a vast collection of different sized clothes but the size 16 selection hasn’t seen the light of day for some years.

Luckily I am not a fashion fan.

You are both determined so I feel sure you’ll reach your targets :slight_smile: