Diet or not to diet - that is the question!

I am not a fan of diets and dieting. Most of them don’t work, are too complicated, and the weight piles back on the minute you stop. But … saw my GP two weeks ago about the problems I am having with my knees. Explained that because the knees were bad I was not exercising as much as I was used to - ergo - I was putting on weight which, in turn, exacerbated the problems with the knees - a vicious circle. She recommended the 5 to 2 diet. I know of at least one member here who is on this diet - had a chat about it - decided to give it a try.

In the last two weeks I have lost 8.5lbs and an inch from my waistline - without it ever feeling as though I am on a diet! Five days per week I am eating between 1200 and 1400 calories per day, (2000 is the recommendation for an adult female) on the two fast days I am eating between 600 and 700 calories. No restrictions at all on what I eat - just on the amounts.

Since I found this magic book I do not even have to calculate the calories - it is all done -even down to one biscuit or one teaspoon of butter. As you can see - the book is endorsed by Diabetes UK - so it is suitable for Diabetics as well as those wanting to lose weight.

I am a very happy and well fed Bunny!!

3 Likes

Congratulations on the weight loss! :tada:

Sounds like you found something that works for you. Best wishes for your continued success on the diet.

1 Like

I was told I need 9,514kJ (kilojoules) intake per day but now you are talking about 2000 calories. Don’t get it.

edit: found it - 1 calorie = 4 Kilojoules

Hi

Well done you, that is really good news.

It is all about portion control, eat what you like but in smaller quantities.

You already do a vast amount of daily walking.

When I was in hospital recently of the 7 beds in bays 5 and 6 I was the only occupant who was not diabetic.

They were all Type 2 and overweight and had red trays, which means they could order what they wanted every day, but got smaller plates and smaller portions.

just fish and chip then

3 Likes

Well done Tabs.

I have been on so many diets and nothing has worked for me, have been to see my GP also and he said that I will not lose the weight because i’m on Insulin at very high levels as I am Diabetic Type 1 for 37 years now and the Insulin makes you put on weight, the only thing I can do is put less on my plate and eat healthy, which I do most of the time, but still can’t lose it.

1 Like

Well done Tabby. And even better news is that it is a diet you are enjoying and not struggling with.
I too, do the 5 : 2 and would recommend it to anyone. My Chiropractor recommended it to me a long time ago.

1 Like

The last diet I was on was the keto diet. It worked for me as I started losing weight and noticed I had more energy. It was an extremely boring diet, and i can remember eating a bowl of sprouts for 1 breakfast, but I was being ridiculously strict with myself. That’s why I failed.

This sounds like good news to me, especially the suitable for diabetics part. I have a bit of a job controlling my numbers, and whilst I do not eat overly much, I do have problems with my weight too.
Shall be looking out for that book.

1 Like

Atkins works. Especially when you stick to ZERO carbs. And I do mean zero. (Brussel sprouts are NOT zero carbs.)

Well done, long may it continue.

Its weird you have posted this as I went to the GP for yearly check up and it was noted my weight had slightly increased (which I knew but being told in the Doc’s office puts it into perspective) and the GP suggested looking at the 5/2 way of living (note I do not say diet) I am also making myself more aware of food labels and portion size, as well as eating more fruit and drinking water (drank none before) think somewhere maybe over the years I have lost the plot and got content my own cocoon blanket.

I am 60 next year and intend not to be a overweight 60 year old. LOL

1 Like

Well done Tabby! Seeing the weight loss is such a good motivator to keep at it. I was told I was pre-diabetic nearly 3 years ago, and I immediately changed my diet to lower my blood sugar. It was a drastic change, very low carb, and I watched everything I ate for the sugar content. I lost weight easily and fairly quickly - about 1.5 stones in 4 months.

Then along come Covid19, and my whole attitude shifted to “Oh what the heck does it matter? We’re all going to die soon anyway”. I genuinely did think that at first, the situation really was that scary. And so I started eating what I wanted again, and back on went the weight. Well, most of it. And I simply cannot find the motivation again :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Great stuff Tabbs This book looks good just ordered it from Amazon

2 Likes

I got into bad habits too, but have managed to lose 3 1/2 stone to get back down to 10.

2 Likes

Diets rarely work because the moment you reach your goal off you go filling your boots and piling on the pounds!

What has worked for me over the years is a healthy low fat diet for life
No special calorie counting or days on or days off.
I suppose it’s easier for me being vegetarian…
I’m really sounding like goody two shoes :wink:

1 Like

I

Not sure I quite agree with that Ripple.

If you reach your desired weight on a diet, surely that shows it worked?
The fact that some people go back to their old ways and stuff their faces later is their own fault.

I do agree the diet is not the end of it though - it should be the start.
Once the desired weight is achieved, you need to look ahead at long term maintainence plans, but many don’t bother, so their initial good work goes down the drain.
Don’t you think that is why the weight piles back on again?

This is the book that started me off::

I’m not sure I can agree

A straightforward diet is rather like putting a temporary puncture repair on a tyre yes it works but not long-term.

If you want to lose weight and lose weight permanently I believe that is the goal most people have who go on a weight reduction diet, However you have to have a complete change of life style (mindset ) when it comes to eating .
A weight reduction diet isn’t imo whole answer to permanent weight loss.
I’m not a believer in calorie counting as such …I eat healthy.
After all what’s the point of losing weight on to pile it back on.

I’m one of those annoying people who never gain weight.

I agree, Ripple, and as I already said the weight reduction plan is only a START. We need to then look ahead at more long term maintainence plans on how to eat sensibly.

You sound one of those lucky people who can eat what they want and never put on an ounce. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I wish Silver Tabby good luck in achieving her goal .

1 Like

Have a look at the one they do for salads fantastic.