Diet or not to diet - that is the question!

Who, Kazz? 5 -2 or Carbs and Cals?

Edit to say - just found and ordered it! Thank you.

1 Like

Care to enlighten me on this one Tabs?
Which one have you ordered now? I didn’t understand Kazz’s post about salads?

Does the recipe book have every 6th and 7th page blank?

Hah. You can laugh young man, but this diet really works, if you stick to it. :smiley:

1 Like

Actually I did try it for a while.

1 Like

Why did you stop? Did you get fed up with it, or didn’t it work for you?

1 Like

The Carbs Cals and its salads Carbs & Cals Salads: 80 Healthy Salad Recipes & 350 Photos of Ingredients to Create Your Own!: Amazon.co.uk: Chris Cheyette, Yello Balolia: 9781908261182: Books

The salad one is really interesting I am finding as I ADORE nice salads but never have had the imagination to do them this is giving me inspiration as well.

And @SilverTabby how odd our Doctors are singing from the same hymn sheets LOL maybe same NHS briefing eh? LOL

@Mups Sorry did not mean to confuse you I read a post, type a reply and then pop off again expecting everyone to be on my page of thinking Sorry

2 Likes

I can’t remember but I am not convinced that a couple of days without food is good for me. I probably could lose a few kgs but nothing dramatic I put on weight as usual Christmas of 2019 and would have lost it in the next 6 months but covid intervened and lockdowns with living near the fridge meant that it has stayed on.

A good travelling holiday will sort that out, I feel a trip to Queensland in the offing.

But you don’t go without food, Bruce. On one of my fast days I had bacon and eggs for breakfast. You just keep the calories to between 600 and 700 - which is easier than you would think. It is quite amazing how much you can pack into 600 calories!

1 Like

It’s a very old diet idea, I think it originated in Australia by a bloke who started eating later in the day then he decided that it was easier to go without eating for the whole day then for two days a week. Certainly when I tried it it was two days , not necessarily consecutive, with no food at all (many years ago).

As I say I think it originated in Australia but could be wrong.

The 5:2 diet became popular in late 2012 following a documentary by BBC journalist Michael Mosley.

It advocates cutting weekly total calorie intake by using intermittent fasting for two non-consecutive days and then eating a usual diet the other five days.

On the fasting days, women limit their total intake to between 600 - 700 cals ( about 2,500 kilojoules) which is about 25 per cent of the recommended intake for normal-weight adults. Not sure what the figures are for men.

On the non-fasting days, you can eat whatever you want, although Mosley’s book recommends making healthy choices.

Advocates of intermittent fasting say it helps in weight loss, and some claim it may reduce the risk of cognitive decline, such as Alzheimer’s disease, while also promoting longevity.

How many calories is one supposed to have in order to lose weight ?
I have eaten ( got my little book) 306 for breakfast .

Unless I am mistaken Tabs, not all women need 600-700?
I understood it depends on things like starting weight, height, and activity levels.
We have to work this out first, to get the right amount we need for us personally.

I don’t bother with dieting anymore. This year we went on holiday and for the first time ever I thought “stuff it”. I ate and drank what I wanted and it was totally liberating.

My friend has been dieting since she was 15 and is now 69. About 8 years ago she had a gastric bypass operation because she could not lose weight and lost about 4 stones. She has now put it all back on because her stomach has stretched again so she has finally accepted she will never be slim.

I would rather carry a bit more weight and be happy and healthy! I have slim friends who have had knee replacements, new hips, cancer ops so I can’t be worrying about it.

If dieting works for you, then great. Personally I’m more into eating healthily and using up more calories than I take in. That way, I don’t get into the mindset of “I’m depriving myself of something I want” (which leads to resentfulness and giving up on making positive changes) I do like the idea of the 5:2 fasting though, but I wouldn’t stick at it for long!

It is more of a good healthy eating plan, Pixie, and unlike some diets you can stay on it as long as you like. It is also the only one I know that is endorsed by GPs and Diabetes UK.

l lost another 3lbs last week - that is a total of 11.5 since 13th June.

2 Likes

Oh well done Tabby!

I have been trying the 5:2 since I posted a week ago…I can’t tell any difference yet but it’s probably too soon. I don’t feel hungry but still have loads of energy, so maybe thats it? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like