Depression and serotonin

Some men seem incapable of controlling their emotions Tabby…
:009:

1 Like

Deleted . . . sorry, just seen Tabby has already said he died.

I agree with you LD. I’ve decided it’s to get us out the way, and get the next one in.
I find they seem to work on it being much quicker to write on a bit of paper than to LISTEN and DIAGNOSE first.
How they can write a prescription before a diagnosis even, is rather worrying.

It costs your surgery less to prescribe than it does to refer you to psychology/talking therapy services.

Yes Ian, everything is all about time and money, unfortunately.

1 Like

I remember observing a treatment for depression that has long disappeared from the practices of modern psychiatry [well at least I think so] deep insulin therapy - were the patient was given sufficient insulin to induce a semi-coma but was still capable of being guided to a toilet for example but for the most part stayed in a bed and given fluid diet. It did seem to achieve improvement in some but I never got my hands on any research papers and I doubt if it’s still being used except in places like North Korea perhaps? or indeed China?

Yes Gummy, it’s called the BBC here…

2 Likes

One very powerful tool in the job of beating depression, oddly enough, is for the patient to be deprived of sleep. How much loss of sleep and for how long, I’ve no idea, but it was very often used in psychiatric hospitals in the 70s and 80s.

happened a lot to the hospital staff on night duty too!

Sounds rather cruel to me, Ian.

I think a lot of things used to go on in phsychiatric places that would be outlawed now.

1 Like

I’ve seen it mentioned in too many psychology text books for it to have been going on illegally, or being enacted against the rights of the patient. Families were told all about it, and how successful it was, which was…substantially effective. Students were still taught about the method, as recently as the late 1980s. The sleep was reduced at the end-of-sleep time (get up early) and the patients, themselves, often noticed the raised mood level, and occasionally insisted on it being tried again, also being surprised that they weren’t tireder during the following day, of occupational therapy and exercise. I can’t see it working for every patient, but the majority…yes, I can. I’ve always had a higher mood level during a day following a night of having NO sleep, at all.

1 Like

That’s interesting, I’m the same and I’ve never been fond of sleeping. I don’t have any trouble sleeping, I just don’t enjoy it and I always feel if I sleep too many hours it leaves me groggy and out of sorts

It does sound like interrogation torture.

It’s interesting that they are not allowed to force feed people anti-depressants but they are allowed to hold someone down and administer an anti-psychotic injection.

1 Like

That made me smile, Maree, because I am the opposite.
I feel ‘groggy and out of sorts’ if I don’t sleep enough. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve been a public speaker for all of my working life - that was NOT a good presentation talk about sleep deprivation that was hearing deprivation and that will not assist me! they must stop the general public doing this sort of thing!!

1 Like

Back in the 90s, I made sleep deprivation work on myself, but it can’t be looked at as a continuous, ongoing method for non-clinical settings - I did it to experience how my moodset shifted, and, as much as I was skeptical, I had to confess to amazing results. However, for a person attempting to live a normal, non-clinic life, sleep deprivation is hopelessly impractical.

Personally, I’m a lot happier using antidepressant medication, and I will not be revisiting SD in the future, even though it worked for me. I liked the way this guy mentioned the dangers of sleep deprivation and made certain to be clear about the differences between SD and sleep disturbances.

Why do you mention hearing deprivation? This video is about sleep deprivation! (?)

my hearing was getting deprived - fit the bricks together ian fit the bricks together?

1 Like

I’ve no idea what you mean. Forget it.