Depression and serotonin

No wonder I’ve never suffered from depression…
:sunglasses:

1 Like

Nah. Just pull yourself together.

Sorry Annie, but I think that’s a load of rubbish.
As with everything else in life’s problems, no two people are the same, and my own difficult period had nothing whatsoever to do with not loving myself or being angry with myself. I felt no anger, just hurt and fear, and it was other people hurting me, not myself doing it.

And as for the bit about “your anger being a place of refuge” and . . ." holding on to anxiety is easier than letting go", well that can only have been written by some twerp who has never experienced prolonged hurt and fear, someone doing too much analysis but bugger all in personal experience.

5 Likes

The twerp was Freud

He also differentiated mourning from melancholia, mourning being categorised as grief rather than melancholia which was the original name for depression.

I don’t care who it was, Annie. My thoughts remain the same.

2 Likes

He would have been interested in your reaction to my post.

Makes no odds, Annie as we’ll never know, will we.
And unless he was in my shoes, he still wouldn’t have a clue how I felt, anyway.

2 Likes

that finished quick - I worked with patients for some time with what was classified then as either “neurotic depression” or “psychotic depression” - the latter was deemed more intractible and so stronger remedies were sort like ECT and anti-depressant drugs. The neurotic depression - mild anti-depressants that turned out to be addictive and “talk therapy” Those with ‘psychotic depression’ seemed to attempt suicide more frequently - those with neurotic depression much less if at all. It seems that both to more or lesser degree can be associated with early upbringing practices which may lead to shyness and general lack of confidence. However the “psychotic depression” seemed to be related to significant brain chemistry disorders and ECT was a rather brutal attempt to kick start the brain in a different direction - it seemed to work for a short time but needed repeating frequently? There did however seem to be a clear divide between a ‘personality related to a neurosis’ and one related to a psychosis? I don’t know what the new gurus or pyschos are preaching now?

Thw old misogynist would have put it down to sex in some form he seemed to be obsessed with sex and women .

4 Likes

Wasn’t he the politician that appeared on adverts and the dog with the big sleepy eyes?
Clement

1 Like

That was his grandson .

1 Like

I think you are muddling Clement with Sigmund. He wasn’t an MP when I knew of him, wasn’t he a food critic or something similar, he was on the radio and TV a lot, is he still around?

1 Like

I think that the main initial problem sits with the GP’s and their blanked statement “oh you must be depressed” and then prescribe some form of chemical antidepressant.
I faced that when I knew my main problem was I couldn’t relax properly following several TIA’s. Fortunately for me, another much junior GP actually listened to me before referring me to someone who specialized in relaxation techniques. She saved me from mind altering meds and also it was that marvellous therapist who identified my ASMR which I now exploit when I feel the need.
All too often the family GP tends to prescribe rather than refer, or at least that’s my take on many situations.

1 Like

Hi

Nothing wrong with being obsessed with women and sex Muddy.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::crazy_face:

They still have a diagnosis of psychotic depression. They still treat it with ECT in a worst case scenario in the UK. They need two psych professionals to sign off the treatment. They can give it without consent if an individual is sectioned. They do give this treatment to some with dementia in psych wards (I have this from a psychiatrist who works on such wards). They still restrain people who don’t consent. I was shocked to find this out a few years ago. Sectioned mentally ill have fewer rights than those in prison. Of course psychotically mentally ill in prison are the worst off. That’s where they can end up if there are no beds.

Psychotic depression is I have read most common in post-natal depression, but it happens in other situations a trigger when someone can’t cope and as you say is predisposed by some chemical / wiring imbalance. What I don’t understand is why they don’t scan the brain of someone who is so sick. They just prescribe a combination of anti-psychotics and and anti-depressants and if those don’t work throw in some ECT. Psychotic depression can cause a complete distortion from reality, vivid hallucinations, violent reactions, suicidal ideation, withdrawal from food, drink, self care, catatonia. It’s like being dead but being alive and in a personal hell. All ECT does is trick the brain to forget whatever it was that triggered the psychotic reaction. It can also lead to cognitive impairment. It also doesn’t work for very long and is brutal and about as accurate / understood as SSRIs.

I also remember the term neurotic which seems to have gone out of fashion since the 80s. This seemed to be knocked on the head when quick fix CBT replaced more in-depth psychoanalytic techniques.

1 Like

He didn’t like women very much and his ideas are no longer in vogue. But the most positive thing he did at the time was to start moving the severely mentally ill from the status of being possessed by evil spirits, doused in hot or cold baths or worse in the most appalling conditions in asylums, to trying to listen to what was wrong and cure them. He opened up a worldwide discussion on the taboo of mental health.

He was a celebrity chef before becoming an MP, Bruce, and he died in 2009.

A double booking…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Sorry Tabby. I seem to have copied your post…
:flushed:

Indeed, Foxy. I remember this coming to the for again during the McCann media hype as they were friends. I really don’t understand why men do this sort of thing. He has/had such a beautiful wife and five children - must be hard on them.