Depression and serotonin

I an impressed with the action of your local cops Mups. Most people have a mobile these days and a warning from the police could possibly prevent people risking a swim in wild water.

The barrel is a nice idea but 

how do you get out ?

2 Likes

Hmm - never though of that!

It’s not easy!

You have to be tall enough and flexible when you stand up to wriggle your leg out over the edge and onto a nearby wall or step ladder.

Lots of people have a small step stool inside the barrel to make it easier

Or the fit and the nutters just push up with their arms to get their bottom on the edge, then spin and twist their legs over the side and jump down ( ruddy dangerous!)

I’m too short to do the barrel safely, maybe I need a half barrel!

But I’ve got my paddling pool and the sea again now :+1:

1 Like

Ever tried it and if not why not and if not how can anyone comment on it?

So if you’ve never “suffered” from depression how do you know?

My first wife was a manic depressive. Not that it has anything to do with you.

I’ll let you use your imagination! :grinning:

Pull yourself together and count your blessings is ok advice for the average someone who is wallowing a bit in self pity.
But for someone who is suffering from serious depression it’s rather like telling someone with a broken leg to go for a nice long walk and you’ll soon feel better.

4 Likes

Well that cuts me out then. If I even managed to get in there, I’d never be seen alive again! :grinning:

1 Like

Fair comment Todger. BUT, I did have a very difficult and unhappy time in my life a long while back, and I do know that telling me to buck up and pull myself together, would not have done the trick.

You can only keep going for so long when things keep piling up around you higher and higher, although I realise some folks have a much higher tolerance of ‘anguish’ then others, same as we all have different pain thresholds too.

If someone was in extreme physical pain, would you tell them to buck up and get on with it too?

No.

Never felt the need.

Seen the effects it had on friends!

I have heard it can be useful medicinally.

1 Like

I must confess that on the day that I graduated I ceased to use anything including cigarettes from that day forth. Thereafter although I had the occasional cigar that was it. Before I graduated it was anything other than psychedelic stuff at every opportunity! It was GRRREAT! Now I’m not permitted any booze. Not a real problem, I was never a p*ss artist.

1 Like

To be honest I was being a bit naughty. Someone a really depressed state can’t possibly “just pull themselves together”. It’s a dreadful thing to tell someone in such a state. Even I wouldn’t do such a thing.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that Todger.
Now behave yourself. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Behave myself? Purleese! That’s asking much too much! (But I’ll try a bit!)

2 Likes

Oh lord, that’ll make him even more trying!

Hah, yes Ruthio, you’re probably right, but let’s give the man the benefit of the doubt, and at least you know where you stand with someone who says it as he sees it.

(Good God, what am I saying)! :rofl:

1 Like

Over many years, I’ve found these two descriptions of depression helpful to recall.

1. Depression is: The inability to construct a future.
  2. Depression means: The needs are not being met.

Make of those what you will. I find them fascinating and even inspirational, regarding finding personal therapies that involve no medication/s.

I recall from somewhere that it’s anger directed towards the self. That to overcome it is to accept & love yourself as you are. One mental image is of being in a pit that appears to be inescapable and not wanting to turn around to open the door which is behind you. It’s funnily enough a place of refuge for some. Because holding onto that anger & anxiety is easier than letting go and walking through the door into the unknown. I say this after years of caring for someone with severe depression, the type that at its worst can make you catatonic. Your own personal prison for which you have the key but are unable to use it because you are also the Judge, prison guard and at worst executioner.