Depression and serotonin

I’m the world’s worst ‘get on with it” “let’s go for a nice cold swim” sort of person

But I did have a family member who suffered severe depression and eventually understood that the best way to help is to let them know you are there for them and listen but not try to offer solutions or be judgemental, you need to try and accept them as they are

But keep in touch with phone calls, little chats, popping round with small gifts or food you’ve baked. But not so much they feel under siege or pressure

And even if they refuse all you invitations, keep asking. They may not be ready to accept or do that, but knowing they’re wanted and thought of can be a gentle comfort

2 Likes

Very true.

I love the cold swim idea Maree, and if I wasn’t such a baby I might even try it…
However, do we all realise that depression is contagious, and if you hang around a depressed person too long you will come away feeling depressed yourself…So I avoid them.

1 Like

You’d love it, give it a go, there’s probably a wild swimming group near you :cold_face::cold_face:

You can get some of the effect by shocking yourself by turning the shower to cold suddenly before you get out :crazy_face:

Some people are drains, some people are fountains ……

If my heart gives out you’ll be hearing from my solicitors Maree…
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

They reckon sex and making love can ease depression…If that’s so, I am destined to be miserable for the rest of my natural…
:flushed:

2 Likes

You could always try self help?

2 Likes

@Maree - Care is needed though - plunging into very cold water can cause vagal inhibition.

1 Like

Not after the cold water dowsing Todger…

droop

2 Likes

I wonder if that’s what killed many of the people on the Titanic ?

1 Like

LOL! Trust me, I know the problem!

1 Like

I thought it was something rude until I googled it…
:nerd_face:

1 Like

Would I put up anything rude??

Could have been, Muddy. I have heard of people dying from using Turkish Baths - which are very hot - then jumping into the Plunge Pool - which is very cold.

Smoking weed is not enjoying life but a way for those without imagination to escape from it.

5 Likes

Don’t do it, Foxy, not with your heart. The cold water shock is not a good idea for you - if you don’t mind me saying.
I’ll send you a paddling pool to sit in instead. :grinning:

Serioiusly though, we had a warning email tonight from the local Cops about the trouble people are getting into with this ‘Wild Swimming’ idea. Even young healthy people can easily come unstuck, like the lad not far from me who died a week or so ago. So do be careful.

4 Likes

I have never suffered from depression but I know that, “Pull yourself together and buck your ideas up.” doesn’t work.

5 Likes

Yes, that’s true, you shouldn’t just jump into icy water, especially if the surroundig air is hot.

You don’t need to do extreme to get the benefits, what you need is just that slight shock of getting into cold water that makes you make monkey noises. And getting in slowly and gradually cooler is what relieves arthritis and inflammation

3 Likes

The trouble is, the heat wave is encouraging people to wild swim for the first time and some are doing it in inappropriate places and without any safety precautions

It’s best to start out by joining a group and reading the wild swimming site advice, swim with a buddy, start slowly and acclimstise

But if it’s safe for you to do it, it’s incredibly addictive.

During lockdown when we couldn’t use the beach and marine lake, my husband really did buy me a paddling pool because I missed the benefits so much. A lot of us had one, others literally had barrels and got in!

1 Like

Of course not Tabby…
:sunglasses:

In my younger day I’ve supped the contents of one of those Maree, but I’ve never swam in one…
Husband is a looker isn’t he…
:nerd_face:

2 Likes