Declawing Cats

Absolutely disgusting.

1 Like

Oh dear, I once had a major row with a lady from the USA over this, on a craft forum, none the less :fearful:

She was complaining that although her cat was de-clawed it still kept her awake trying to scratch at the furniture with it’s paws

I told her that thank goodness it illegal here and the thought of her poor little cat still trying to scratch with it’s mutilated little paws made me feel sick to my stomach :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

And she replied that we own animals and are entitled to do what we like to them to make them good pets!

Well, you know I’m a bit fast on the trigger……

But do you think they really do have a different attitude to their pets?

I cannot express what I feel about people who remove a cat’s claws -
it is cruel and unnecessary -
it’s even more cruel than removing a human’s fingernails, in my opinion. :rage: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Poor thing. She’s never been told that cats (along with many other species) own us and that therefore the cat would ideally like her to become a better human by the simple expedient of getting her head chopped off.

2 Likes

Unnecessary mutilation. Keep their claws on their paws.

2 Likes

It seems some unethical vets are only interested in taking your money, instead of the welfare of the animal.
Unless for medical reasons, leave the claws alone. They are there for a purpose.
Even worse, are those half-witted people who have their dogs de-barked so they can never ‘speak’ again.

When you think about it, we take away cats and dogs uteruses, ovaries, testicles, let alone dew claws and even dogs voice boxes in some countries - though that is illegal in the UK, thank God.
I even read of a woman recently who got rid of her dog because it didn’t match the colour of her settee!!!
It is not only the stupid, selfish owners, I also lay the blame firmly at the vets door as well.
We take these animals on, and then try to have them modified to suit ourselves, and behave like miniature humans.
It’s disgusting.

2 Likes

Cats need their claws to defend themselves against predators such as dogs, foxes and other cats. Indoor cats need them to defend themselves against stupid owners and Vets who should never be allowed near an animal!!

Any Vet who agrees to declaw a cat should be struck off as unfit to practice

Any ‘owner’ who asks for it to be done should be banned from keeping a cat - for life - after they have had their fingernails pulled out - one by one - without benefit of anaesthetic!

2 Likes

It’s illegal here in the U.K. anyway, isn’t it? So any vet who did it……….

1 Like

It is supposed to be - but money talks to the unscrupuous!

1 Like

Yes, but making it illegal is a start, and something the UK can be proud of. It’s illegal in most of Europe too.

Those cats in the opening article are being imported, so could something be done to make it illegal to import de-clawed cats to the U.K.?

2 Likes

I think that is really cruel, not all Cats claw furniture etc. my Coco has never clawed anything in the house, as long as the Cat has plenty of things to play with and Scratching boards, they will be alright.

2 Likes

It doesn’t even have to be a vet who does it

A nice thought - but would the ‘owners/exporters’ not just destroy the poor creatures?

I loathe animal cruelty in any form and, unfortunately, many people share the appalling attitude you mentioned in an earlier post. A way to change that would be good

1 Like

I can’t bear to think about that one, Pixie!

1 Like

The only reason I said that was because there is (allegedly) someone in town here who crops ears on dogs. Couldn’t even spell qualification never mind have any.

1 Like

They should be reported to the police or - even better - exterminated like the cockroaches they are!!

1 Like

To be fair, there are lots of animal welfare groups in the US trying to stop de-clawing

And cat exports are market driven. So if they couldn’t export them here de-clawed, they’re more likely to stop de-clawing so as not to lose the market . And sell those already de-clawed domestically in the US.

By allowing the imports of de-clawed cats we’re encouraging the breeders to do it and creating a market.

I saw in the article that Cat’s Protection and the RSPCA are joining forces to campaign for the government to crack down on this

But I checked both their websites and can’t see a specific campaign so I’ve contacted both of them to ask what they’re doing about it and how we can help

When I hear back we could maybe contact our MPs etc and show support

This could well be one for Azz’s campaigning section!

2 Likes

@Maree - Excellent, I would support such a campaign. In fact - Cats Protection have a place in the village - may just have to pay them a visit !

2 Likes

Declaw the monsters who do it to cars and see how they like it …
not a fan of cats but still wouldn’t be cruel to them

4 Likes

I would love nothing better than to pull the finger nails out of the vile person who mutilates a cat or any other animal in fact…
They have claws for a reason fgs.

2 Likes