Dangerous dogs

I simply don’t understand our dangerous dog laws

Here we have an American Bull dog which is clearly a pit bull type which is prohibited in the U.K.
The American bull dog is bigger than most pit bulls .
Yet here we have one and the air head who owns it has four other dogs as well .
Why is this allowed ?

I understood if you were allowed tol have this type of dog the owner was the only person to look after it not allow ANYONE else to care for it
but why have one anyway? is it for the macho look of being a tough guy? whereas infact they have a very weak character and no backbone

No any one can have one or many American bull dogs .

The pit bull is prohibited but as it’s not a breed but a type you see them everywhere .
An oversize Staffie is basically a pit bull.

Please don’t think I don’t like them , I have lived in countries where owning a pit bull is legal and they are lovely dogs loyal and gentle if treated and trained properly . But poor things are so often bred for dog fighting or intimidating people .
And they are a dog whose formidable bite can be lethal .

Course it is , and to frighten/impress other people, hence the ILLEGAL cropped ears, which completes the look for these idiots.

Whether or not only the owner must care for it, is irrelevant. Most of the time it is the owner himself’s fault when things go so badly wrong!

But as Muddy said, why was this illegal animal even allowed in the UK?
Was it bred here, or imported?
If it was bred here, where is the rest of the litter and who is breeding them, as well as cutting their ears off? All illegal acts.

What breeds were his other dogs?

Once again we dont actually know the first thing about this case, we only read the end result.

My apologies if I’m misinformed Muddy, but I thought this was a banned breed.

We did see a pair of them on our walks a while back. Max gave then that Collie stare. The owner reversed direction. Haven’t seen them since.

My collie is very amiable he never fights or shows any sort of aggression .
An aggressive pit bull type would make mincemeat out of him.

Many of these dogs come form Romania or Bulgaria where ear cropping and tail docking is allowed .
As the American bull dog is not a prohibited breed it is allowed in .
Personally I think NO dogs should be imported from these countries .

From sites like this .
It’s disgraceful I am going to write to my MP
https://www.american-bully.ro/

Just seen that Defra has put a temporary ban in importing dogs from Romania

1 Like

Mups out of interest I looked up American bulldogs for sale in the U.K. and they are everywhere !
Many are described as XL some are crossed with staffes one lot was crossed with a Doberman
These are pit bulls why are they allowed in the U.K. .
Our laws are flouted in every direction .

1 Like

That is soooo very bad. I bet those breeders make a fortune too. They must do, as I can’t see why else they would do it. I dont want to know how they ‘train’ those dogs.

I remember years ago, breeders were sending pregnant bitches across to somewhere in Ireland to whelp. Then Mother and babies were shipped back later with all the puppies tails docked, as it had become illegal here. It is also illegal over there now too, and has been for a long time thank goodness.

The point i am making is, if tail and ear cropping is illegal in a country, then the authorities should ban imports too.
Unfortunately, where money is to be made, some people will sink to any level.

I agree. A Collie wouldn’t stand a chance. Very few dogs would, especially against a trained fighter.

Bit like us up against a 20st Boxer or thug!

If we were to ever have a dog again it would be a border collie. Without doubt they are the finestkind of dog. Sadly we never will, these days the only pet we could look after would be a worm. Old Snot, well he’s pretty much self sufficient but he’s different anyway.

Trouble is, when they do these crosses, the DNA needs to be proved first before it can be classed as a banned breed, and dealt with.

How can they do this ?
The pit bull is a type not a specific breed .

Possibly so. There was no aggression in our case. Just that stare. That was enough.

1 Like

Mups I despair of these dangerous dogs .
I went for a walk with an older friend last week on a very well used public footpath and was confronted by a woman barely containing a Belgian Mallinois whose main desire even from a distance was to eat us .
My friend was quite shaken the woman said he is or has been a guard dog - I assumed perhaps he was a rescue dog she was exercising .We took a different way back and hoped her charge had not managed to break free and gobble up some other unoffending walker . These are another breed that are popular and intelligent but need careful training with a strong minded owner .

Of couse these breeds have nothing on “er indoors” when mad, I keep well out of the way :rofl:

Yes, that sort of thing makes me nervous too, Muddy, moreso since I’ve kept this smaller breed than the old Shepherds. These little ones could be dead in seconds.

You may remember a few years back when my lovely, trusting Izzy got attacked out of the blue by a muzzled Staffie. She was only about 10 days off whelping - and on her lead just plodding along next to me in the sun in the nearby park.

The owner knew his dog was vicious , but the half wit owner thought it was fine to stick a muzzle on it, then let it off lead in a public park. I never saw it coming even, as it thundered up from behind us at speed. It must have felt like a tank hitting Iz, and it bowled her over and over and was trying frantically to bite her throat, then on to her pregnant stomach.
The owner didnt even call it back, he just stood and watched. His words to me were . . . “What harm can he do, he’s muzzled aint he!” And smirked.

They say you can get super strength in times of need, and I reckon its true, because i remember picking his dog up one handed (cos I’d got Iz in the other hand) and throwing it as far away as i could. I knew it couldnt bite me with the muzzle on.
That surprised it.
A crowd had gathered by then, so the bloke grabbed his dog and buggered off quick.

Someone got his number plate and so the police paid him a visit.
Meanwhile I had phoned the vet and told them I was on my way as I thought Iz would abort. Thank God my girl was safe, and her puppies went full term, but it was very frightening, especially hearing Izzy crying in pain and shock. She had heart of gold.

1 Like

I think they test to see if any banned breeds are in the genetics. I assume that gives them the lever to have it destroyed.

The dogs are innocent but they should not be bred in the first p,ace but at over £1000k a pop its easy money .

1 Like

It seems odd to me that the XL Bully is legally allowed in UK, when it is much more powerful than the the Pit Bull type that is banned - maybe because they are allegedly much less aggressive? The fact that they are closely descended from the banned pit bull type would ring alarm bells with me.

According to this article, the son of the man who was killed by this XL Bully was breeding them and he had 3 of these “American Bullys” - one of the remaining dogs must have looked a “borderline banned breed” because it was removed from the home for assessment.
The article also mentions another killing last year, of a 10 year old boy who was visiting the home was killed by the same breed of dog.