Cyclists and pedestrians beware

From 1-6-23 freight could be transported via a longer lorry.

The government has approved the use of longer lorries on British roads, saying it will make businesses more efficient and cut emissions.

The industry welcome the move, saying it would mean more goods could be transported by fewer vehicles.

Operators will be able to use longer semi-trailer (LST) combinations up to 18.55 metres – 2.05 metres longer than standard size.

One campaign group warned the larger tail swing, meaning their rear end covers a bigger area when turning could put pedestrians and cyclists at risk.

as long as they are limited to motorways, how on earth might they manage thru towns or cities?

I have no doubt that cyclists and pedestrians will be at greater risk.

Fewer vehicles initially perhaps, and then a few more…and a few more?

Oh well…at least it’ll give Rishi the photo opportunity to don his big boots, a manly plaid trucker shirt and take a chomp out of a Yorkie Bar.

AFAIK there are no limitations. I now know why a v dangerous narrow road bend close to a large agricultural packhouse was elongated and lessened in it’s radius only 2 miles from my door.

Trains are longer lorries, if they would have invested more in the railways instead of wasting it on HS2 we wouldn’t need so many lorries.
How about making and growing more stuff locally instead?

3 Likes

How local? My nearest agricultural fields are less than a mile away from my spread.

Trains are not longer lorries although I’m with you on HS2 Foxy.

I’d love to source more locally produced, fresh affordable produce, although given the density of the population it’s not a solution in itself…and then we get back to the thorny issue of who’s going to pick it.

1 Like

I was always told, it wont get better if you pick it.:astonished: :point_right::wink::grin:

1 Like

I already feel concerned driving on the motorway in my mini alongside huge lorries , hedged in sometimes . I’m sure they don’t see me in their wing mirrors or blind spots . My son was pulling away from lights , alongside him on his right a huge lorry carrying a heavy load , swung into his lane , crushing his car and admitted he never saw his car on the inside lane . Son is unharmed but his beloved Porsche he worked so hard for is a write off . The driver told him , " mate I couldn’t see you ". Scarey stuff . Imagine a mini or similar car with children in the back

They don’t look that long, we have these B Doubles on our roads. I think they are 27 metres long, basically two semis with a dolly in between.

Not to be confused with a road train which are only allowed outback. They are over 50 metres long.

Occasionally I let slip the word “lorry”, my kids roar with laughter it is just not a word here.

1 Like

I thought we had a weight limit on lorries to stop the roads from cracking up

won’t they struggle on all the roundabouts? Say in Milton Keynes etc.

Yes, BUT :point_right: most of the roads in the UK are narrower and busier that your long open spaces ideal for those double or even triple rigs, just as in the USA.

My eldest son-in-law co-owns and runs a successful transport business with my 2 grandsons, so I’m used to the words ‘semi’ ‘rig’ and of course ‘truck’ with ‘5th wheel’. I used to have a 49% interest until I gave that equally to the g’sons and my daughter.

Perhaps not a total solution Chilli, but we could do a lot better than we are doing, and it’s not just food. We are a greedy, lazy, money orientated country now, cheaper wins every time.
Sprouts from Morocco, Apples from South Africa…Bloody madness…I thought we were serious about helping the planet, obviously not.

How many lorries does this bad boy replace?
freight

We all have to drive on the motorways, but the railways could carry most of our freight and only trains use the railways, Just think how much less pollution, and how much more space on the roads…

1 Like

Yeah, but that photo is at least 5yrs old Foxy and things have change vastly for the worse since then. Rail transport is no longer a government priority.

subsidise new agriculture market gardens, under glass salad growers… direct these migrants there instead of to their dads hotel in bloody London, no dont give them a choice, unless they have a skill, then they could be given a trade test… why in Gods name must Doncasters Tomatoes travel a thousand miles? subsidise bloody dutch growers to grow here if English growers cant do it…

2 Likes

There is absolutely no need to. Chris Wall and his family already are the Uk’s largest tomato grower, about 3-4 crow flown miles from my door here in West Sussex. They pick from early march right the way through 'til late November; six varieties of tomatoes are grown within 10.5 hectares of glasshouses and that’s one heck of a lot of glass.

2 Likes

Longer semi-trailer guidance now published on GOV.UK

Longer semi-trailers (LSTs) are now being used on Great Britain’s roads.

Vehicle operators can now tow LSTs measuring up to 2.05 metres longer than a standard semi-trailer (up to 15.56 metres long).

What operators need to know

The Department for Transport has published guidance on LSTs which operators need to read. Some of this may be different from your usual operating procedures.

If you intend to use LSTs, you will need to notify the Office of the Traffic Commissioner through the Vehicle Operator Licensing (VOL) system.

The guidance covers a number of different items:

• route planning
  • risk assessment
  • compliance record keeping
  • driver training requirements
  • wider staff awareness/training

Read the guidance on longer semi-trailers.

Just out of idle curiosity, are those the greenhouses in The Barnham area just north of the rail tracks?

1 Like