Cryptic Films

No, PR. Right era (original version) but wrong film. This is a cryptic clue and contains a play on words.

Giant?

I think I see what you’re getting at but wrong insect. However, maybe inadvertently you’re getting warm! This film was not an outstanding success and had slightly different titles in the US and UK - this clue is for the US title. One of its stars was married to a future Bond girl and another fronted a BBC programme which ran from 1953 to 1983.

This film was originally given an X certificate in the UK in the late 1950s.

After a lot of digging,

The Giant Behemoth

aka Behemoth the Sea Monster

Apologies for the digging Devo but well done.

The Giant, Be-he-Moth?

over to you…

No need for apologies, I enjoy a bit of digging for facts. This should prove a bit easier than some…

He investigates the wood by the lake where the drowsy water rats live.

This film had a lot of Oscar and Bafta nominations but didn’t win any. I remember it being described at the time as the new vs the old and the new managing to hold their own.

The film had a very small cast list and was largely a two-hander.

The last two clues fit Sleuth but I can’t see how the first one would…

Blair Witch?

Yes, the film is Sleuth. Which bit did you think didn’t fit?

Basically all the bits after “he investigates”.

The first five lines of The Stolen Child by W.B.Yeats:

Where dips the rocky highland
Of Sleuth Wood in the lake,
There lies a leafy island
Where flapping herons wake
The drowsy water rats;

Google the bit I put in the clue and it gives to the poem.

I get it now Devo. Adrian Dunbar was visiting Yeats’s grave in his travel programme last week but he recited a different poem.

Next to follow.

Next:

Next to admit large furniture store has parasites.

This film had a BAFTA Best Film nomination in the 1950s.

The Wooden Horse?

Not that one PR. The clue comprises two synonyms, an abbreviation and a further two synonyms. The main actress in this film appeared in another film I used in this thread, not too long ago, with her husband. Although he’s not in this film they’ve appeared together a number of times.

A Town Like Alice