Cryptic Films

You’re right. I saw it on a trip to North Devon a few years ago but my young granddaughters found it a bit scary…

Just to repeat the clue:

Aristocrat acquires a sovereign.

Another nomination for BAFTA best film, this time in the period when they’d cut the nominations down to 4 or 5 per year. An Oscar Best Actress winner made her debut in this film.

This was also the first non-documentary film for a prominent female singer who went on to play a larger part in a well known Rock Opera a few years later.

The director of this film won two Best Director Oscars, one for a film which won 5 Oscars and the other for a film which won 8 Oscars in total.

African Queen?

No Arena. This is an early 70s comedy by a director who won his first Oscar a few years later for a much more famous film.

Taking Off?

Yes PR, T[a king]off. That was a bit more arduous than I thought it would be…

Over to you.

Thanks Amac
Next: Persian spots.

Ok - what might Persian refer to?

Cats, carpets or the Gulf. No success with any of them.

None of those Amac but if you get the Persian clue, the rest should follow

Red lights?

Four worded answer - first word of clue refers to first two words of answer, second to second two. A well known well regarded film.

The film is one of a big “family”

The Empire Strikes Back?

Well done Amac. Was caught between making it too easy or too hard.

I’m sure my son-in-law, originally from Iran, would be impressed that the main thing you associate with Persia is its Empire, especially since our grandson is named after its first emperor, Cyrus. Unfortunately that didn’t help me in the least with this clue! :smiley:

Next to follow…

Next:

Professor returns, taking in backward idiot after holiday.

Forrest Gump?