Crazy Steep hill climb

This is the first time in years that I found someone to film me climbing this monster hill in San Pedro, CA, so there are no cuts and the person filming followed along as I went up. At over 31% grade, this little-known walk path shares company with the top 10 of the steepest streets on Earth! It’s 293 feet long with 93 feet elevation gain. That means everytime the wheel makes a single revolution, I climb a full 2 feet!

At 68, I I didn’t think it would be possible to make it to the top, and my first attempt failed 3/4 of the way up when I accidentally ran into ice plant that was growing on to the path. I was already pretty tired out after that first try but decided to do it again. This video shows my second and final attempt. I think only sheer willpower kept me going.

7 Likes

looks extremely challenging. Great job there!

4 Likes

A wonderful feat to manage! Congrats to you and to your friends who filmed the ride for you

4 Likes

Here he goes again putting life and limb in danger :grinning:
Well done.

3 Likes

Well done Terry, your determination is amazing! :clap:

2 Likes

For anyone who fully understands exactly what a 31% gradient is, that is a superb achievement

1 Like

Thanks Darren. :+1: and just for a little comparative perspective, today, the maximum grade for federally funded highways in the United States is generally 6%. However, mountainous roads with speed limits below 60 mph can have grades up to 7%. The maximum gradient of local roads is usually restricted by local ordinance and will be on the order of 12% to 15% slope.

Cheers,

Terry

1 Like

Please remove this was a duplicate post.

1 Like

The most i’ve ever experienced is 12 to 15% here in little ol’ England, they were Devon and Cornwall areas when travelling, also Muswell Hill in North London amongst others maybe other members may have found steeper on their travels? (they were vehicle routes), nothing like 31% though
Plenty of steep hills and such if you’re feeling brave walking or cycling those!

1 Like

Azz can remove it for you U G just send him a message

Bamford Clough in Derbyshire is 36.5% at its steepest sections, and Vale street in Bristol is 25.6%.

Cheers,

Terry

1 Like

Oh such fun, I stole a glance at my unicycle and shrugged…

1 Like