Covid in Scotland: Record numbers of new cases as NHS faces 'perfect storm'

The number of new Covid cases reported in Scotland has hit another record high of 7,113.

The figure tops the previous high of 6,835 which was recorded on Friday.

It comes as Health Secretary Humza Yousaf warned the NHS was facing a “perfect storm” of pressure.

The latest government figures show a total of 507 people are in hospital with Covid and 52 are in intensive care.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon tweeted: "We are seeing a rising curve of cases in Scotland. It’s reassuring that vaccines are preventing the levels of serious health harms that case numbers like this would once have caused.

“However, we can’t be complacent and are monitoring carefully. In the meantime, please take care.”

That’s bad news … :frowning_face:

1 Like

Its horrific news, really…what about all the regular illnesses that are taking place. Together with the reluctance of Dr’s not seeing patients face to face, many are just going to hospital. There were 7 ambulances outside a local hospital recently, and patients being treated outside because they couldn’t get in! :open_mouth:

I see another lockdown coming. :frowning:

1 Like

It is worrying but another lockdown?
I doubt it. The government couldn’t afford the furlough schemes anymore.

Not meaning to sound pessimistic but It could get a little dire.

2 Likes

I agree that furlough is out the window, Morticia and frankly I think its gone beyond anything that any of our Govt’s could cope with. Vaccinations and general hygiene are all the weapons we have. Schools have gone back after summer break and I think this is where the surge is coming from. Plus we up here are opening up events - 50,000 football fans are allowed to attend a game today.

2 Likes

I know … and worse … a great many people don’t bother wearing masks now they don’t need to.

I sometimes wonder whether the politicians have , on the quiet, given up on dealing with Covid now in any meaningful way because they have no battle plan.
They’ve tried all their weapons.
Lockdown, distancing, vaccines … what next?
What is there left that they could do?
That some of the public would not baulk at.

2 Likes

I think that’s why they are throwing their efforts into other matters, like Afghanistan. To distract from their failed covid efforts.

And mask wearing is still the law up here, but nobody enforces it really. Walk into a shop without a mask and nobody says a thing. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Numbers of cases were bound to go up when schools returned, it will be the same in England next week when many of our schools go back.

Time to stop looking at the number of cases which is relative to the number tested anyway. As long at the deaths and hospital admissions stay down we have to accept the numbers of cases.

Life now is living with C19 , if you are scared of catching it take your own precautions as I do. Life has to go on.

2 Likes

The UK reels from one government shambles to another … inevitably, it seems, there will be a massive autumn COVID surge … :scream:

… and it was BJ who let the Delta variant in … :angry:

Sadly, deaths and hospital admissions are on the rise:

Deaths

Deaths within 28 days of positive test

Latest data provided on 28 August 2021

Daily 133

Last 7 days 785

^ 86 (12.3%) Change from previous 7 days (15 August 2021 – 21 August 2021)

Healthcare

Patients admitted

Latest data provided on 24 August 2021

Daily 969

Last 7 days 6,294

^ 397 (6.7%) Change from previous 7 days (11 August 2021 – 17 August 2021)

Aye, well you don’t see any of that in the news do you?

How precisely did he let it in?

You mean all this confusion and chaotic mess over safe countries and folk going on holiday,

Not sure what Omah has to say about it, Morty, but as far as I recall…BJ was supposed to go to India for some meeting and changed his mind, because the virus has gone wild over there. However, he did not put India in a Red Zone at the time, and travellers were allowed to come and go as they pleased. So that’s my view on how the Delta variant got in :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

The Delta variant just like any other would have got in anyway and if you’re in any doubt look at what’s happening now in both New Zealand and Australia - which are both islands too BTW.
Strict lockdowns in Oz aren’t stopping it from spreading there for example.

Blaming a government or one person is plain daft IMHO, especially when you consider the “devil-may-care” attitudes that so many of the public have exhibited right from the off.
Plus you can’t prevent a variant from getting in, you can only at best delay the spread as Oz & NZ have found out.

Schoolchildren returning might increase the spread but IMHO it’s these mass gatherings at football, festivals & the like that are in all probability the real culprit for case numbers rising.

2 Likes

Not sure what Omah has to say about it, Morty, but as far as I recall…BJ was supposed to go to India for some meeting and changed his mind, because the virus has gone wild over there. However, he did not put India in a Red Zone at the time, and travellers were allowed to come and go as they pleased. So that’s my view on how the Delta variant got in :woman_shrugging:

Here’s an accurate timeline:

2 Likes

I don’t know much about Covid in Scotland. However, I do agree that the NHS is facing a ‘perfect storm’. So we must ask ourselves why.

Well of course Covid is largely responsible for the problems faced by the NHS, but that is only part of the problem. There are other factors which have developed over a rather longer time period.

Population increases, for one thing. I remember posting elsewhere that when I was a young child, not that many years after the NHS began, the country’s population was a little over 50 million. Today, it is nearing 70 million, and quite probably more which are not counted because we don’t know about them!
Our population is continuing to rise as I write, of course, as more and more ‘deserving’ people are encouraged to come here every day. Afghans being only the latest cohort.

A quite different mitigating factor is that we are, today, able to deal with many more types of illness or condition which, when I was born, would have been untreatable. I’m not sure that the NHS has expanded sufficiently to account for all the new problems it faces. We can also add on the ‘trendy modern’ procedures which were never heard about in those days, such as breast enlargements, etc. Although many of these are paid for by the ‘recipients’, they are still being done using NHS facilities.

One last thing I’d like to gripe about is the change in how the NHS is run. It is now top-heavy in administrators, managers, financial experts, legal experts, and so on. From what I have read elsewhere, these people now heavily outnumber the clinical staff; those who actually deal with patients directly. The NHS is now a typical bureaucracy, in which every piece of paper written automatically creates another half-dozen or so.
After all, I suppose, that’s what this country has always excelled at!

2 Likes

Where on Earth did you get that from please?
According to the BBC who quote FAA statistics, under 42,500 travelled between the UK & India in either direction in April so even allowing for three or four months that doesn’t equate to anywhere near 200,000 in a single direction of travel.
Not that it matters much.
It would arrive and spread anyway as my earlier post makes clear and as many far more knowledgable that us have said.

ETA:
Apologies for misreading the quantity, but the basics remain the same: Delta variant would arrive and spread regardless, just as it has elsewhere.

Things where one of my sisters live in Aus has got bad. They have the armed forces out in the streets making sure you do as your told and stay at home. Maybe we would be in a better place if the government toughened up and did likewise, rather than let certain sections of the public ignore the advice and go merrily on their way spreading the virus (maybe) as they go.

well what interesting times we do live in - well some of what he said and more of what she said etc. Yes wrong decisions made by govts do happen ; lack of hygiene and safety measures by general population ; increasing ageing popn being vunerable ; poor hygiene within health arenas ; unwillingness to be vaccinated by some of the popn and a general tiredness with all of us having put up with this for almost a year now or is it longer I have forgotten. The solutions may sound simple on paper but in practice NO!