Covid, have you had it yet?

Rapid lateral flow tests …

I’m no expert, never tried it, but there’s a quickie diy test.

3 Likes

I’ve managed to escape it so far, despite working with the public till I packed it in to look after Mum last October. My main concern has been keeping mother safe, so I am still using masks when out and about, and avoiding crowded places.

2 Likes

Thank you. I didn’t know. :+1:
That makes sense.

2 Likes

I have avoided it so far but have been ultra careful isolating for months , my son and daughter in law have it at the moment .

3 Likes

Well, it is when they become really ill or die … :scream_cat:

1400 people a day are being admitted to hospital with COVID and 100 people a day are dying from COVID.

2 Likes

I have not had it and the covid rate is highest it has ever been in Queensland just when they have taken all the restrictions off .

2 Likes

I’ve had it even after being super careful. I lost my sense of taste and smell , sore throat. I was very weak the worst was how exhausted I felt.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I had it Spring 2020 first wave before they had proper tests. Had long covid, 2020 was pretty much a wipe out because of the ensuing muscle and fatigue problems and then the first vaccine sent me right back to square one. Still get intermittent muscle problems just randomly occurring but it seems to be getting better although some times it’s one step forward two steps back.

I am still wearing a mask to shop. I heard a friend had Covid just last week and have heard of others colleagues and friends getting it in the last couple of months so in no way is this over. Some American friends had it over Christmas and it was very serious because they had refused the vaccine. Same with one colleague who was too scared to have a vaccine. They all ended up in intensive care. A very frightening experience for them. It’s no longer a headliner so it’s easy to forget people are still dying and the daily deaths aren’t really falling - 720 over the last week so 100 a day average. Tested cases are down but then they have stopped mass testing so that’s not indicative.

3 Likes

Haven’t had it yet. Figures are rising again for no apparent reason. No one in my family has had it although my daughters are almost the only ones in their work teams not infected. The impacts come closer and closer. I don’t want to have it. They say it makes your brain shrink. :disappointed:

2 Likes

Is there any way of knowing for sure? A test telling you you have had it?

2 Likes

Yes d00d, Mrs Fox and me had it last August and thought we were going to die. Fortunately we managed to stay out of hospital and after ten days were almost back to normal but with no energy. There doesn’t seem to be any lasting effects but we don’t go out all that much and always wear our masks indoors, shops etc. Neither of us had the vaccines, so we don’t know what the results would have been. Just happy to still be here writing on the forum.

2 Likes

long may you run.

3 Likes

Were they vaccinated?

2 Likes

Neither me nor my husband have had it - my husband is classed as extremely vulnerable so we have been, and still are, very careful. My daughter in law had it a few weeks ago but very mildly - yet my son didn’t catch it from her. Both have been triple vaccinated.

2 Likes

My daughter has it at the moment and exactly the same symptoms.

Shes 51 had all 3 jabs.

Now feeling better in her 4th day of being infected.

3 Likes

Neither Mr B nor I have had it, as far as we know. Our son and daughter haven’t had it either, nor our daughter-in-law. All five of us are fully vaccinated. Two of our three grandchildren have had it though, but it didn’t affect them too badly.

We have been careful throughout, wearing masks, using hand sanitizer regularly when we’re out and so on, but I’ve known plenty of people who have been just as careful but have nonetheless been infected.

2 Likes

No because antibodies only last for three months at most & there are new antibodies post vaccine. The GP said that she has had the identical reports from many patients with exactly the same symptoms post covid and that I must have had Covid at the time particularly given the reaction to the first vaccine. At the point I had it the symptoms I had were not being considered, but someone was staying with us who had classic symptoms about ten days before I got sick (the food waste disposal hacking cough) and was told she didn’t have covid (over the phone) because she didn’t have a fever!

The GP told me to take each day at a time not overdo the physical activity, ignore housework if I don’t feel up to it. Counter to “helpful” friends suggesting more physical exercise… The GP was very sympathetic. Lots of people are worse off than me but it was really upsetting to not be able to walk more than a few steps and struggle down the stairs every day (I had to walk sideways as my ankles/achilles tendons were badly affected). Not being able to get out of the bath was a shock too. Luckily it has improved but we take so much for granted, it’s a wake up call for me to get affairs in order.

2 Likes

Hi

Yes I have had it, caught it in hospital at the end of January 2021.

Put in an isolation tent on the Cardiac Ward, then moved to the Covid Ward.

It developed into Acute Pulmonary Oedema, I was very ill on forced oxygen and they called next of kin as I was not expected to last the night.

I am still suffering the effects.

The virus is still mutating, a new variety has been identified which is easily transmissible and is more severe than the current ine.

1 Like

We live in an area of low Covid and we haven’t had it as far as we are aware. I felt a bit rough with a sore throat before Christmas, I took a test which was negative.

My brother, his wife and their daughter all tested positive in November. Sadly my brother died but he had a lot of health issues.

1 Like

Covid figures here are rising again - so I am still being very careful… Haven’t had it, don’t want it. Am lucky enough to have a very robust immune system so I think I am fairly safe - but it doesn’t do to become complacent!

1 Like