Covid booster being offered to over 50s this Autumn

Everyone aged 50 and over will be offered a Covid booster vaccine this autumn to top up their immunity and cut their risk of becoming severely ill.

Younger people at high risk from Covid, as well as health and social care staff, will also get the booster.

1 Like

These vaccines don’t work very well do they?

3 Likes

That’s good news :+1:t2:

Hmm … I’ll have to think whether to have one.

1 Like

If I am offered the Moderna I will decline I had a bad reaction last time .

1 Like

I also had Moderna @Muddy but fortunately I didn’t have a reaction from it.

I am a needle whimp anyway and worse when I know it’s going to hurt and have a dire aftermath.

Scared to have it bit I will…hope.I don’t get a reaction like the second jab

What reaction did you have ? I was literally shaking with cold,I couldn’t get warm for about 2days.

I had couldn’t stand up…the room was moving about and I was throwing up constantly…very scary. Honest I thought I was dying…I know that sounds dramatic but I was so scared.

Sounds a lot worse than mine.I can understand your trepidation.

1 Like

Its weird because I had the third jab with no reaction at all…very strange…hopefully the booster will be ok too …fingers crossed

1 Like

I’ll take what’s coming to me … :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

When they were vaccinating my mum I said if it’s moderna then mum says no thanks. They suddenly found they had a stock of pfizer. Moderna is know for some more short term side effects which IMO means it should be for younger folk.

I had pfizer for the first booster, but ended up in A&E for hours as I had Transient Global Amnesia, lost several hours of my life not knowing anything, what I’d done, nor where I’d been. Daughter was worried I’d had a stroke & called an ambulance. I’d had the booster about 24 hours before this. Even though they assured me it wasn’t that, ambulance people, nurses & doctor, I had my doubts & am very reluctant to have a second booster. I had never had anything like that before.

4 Likes

I had to look that up … :books:

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/t/transient-global-amnesia-tga.html

Overview

Transient global amnesia (TGA) is a sudden, temporary interruption of short-term memory. Although patients may be disoriented, not know where they are or be confused about time, they are otherwise alert, attentive and have normal thinking abilities.

Unlike patients experiencing dementia, TGA patients keep their personal identity, consciousness and the ability to perform complex routine tasks. During the episode, however, patients are unable to form new memories.

Episodes of TGA are generally brief and although the effects are temporary, the patient often does not remember anything from the episode.

Symptoms

The main identifiable symptom of transient global amnesia is the sudden, but temporary, loss of short-term memory and not being able to form new memories.

Symptoms include:

• Anxiety and agitation
  • Repeatedly asking questions about what is happening
  • Retaining personal identity during the episode
  • Able to complete complex routine tasks during the episode
  • Absence of signs suggesting damage to the brain tissue
  • Episodes end in 1-8 hours, no more than 24

Causes and Risk Factors

The cause of transient global amnesia is unknown.

People older than 50 are more likely to experience TGA. Research suggests there also may be a link between patients who have a history of migraines and those who experience TGA.

In most cases, there is no activity that triggers a transient global amnesia episode. In rare cases, certain events can trigger an episode, including:

• Hard physical activity
  • Sexual intercourse
  • Sudden exposure to very hot or very cold water
  • Emotional stress
  • Mild head trauma

Treatment

Transient global amnesia goes away on its own within 24 hours.

Very interesting … but, obviously, very frightening to experience … :scream:

2 Likes

My recent 4th was a horrid Moderna which was a very nasty experience from the next morning which lasted for 4 more days. No, enuf is enuf and I’m declining any more C-19 boosters🤬

1 Like

I heard on TV that this next booster is being specially developed to take the latest variants into account (just like they do with the flu jab every year). I don’t remember they saying how is making this updated vaccine though.

1 Like

I do’nt care … I’ll not be having any more after that last ruddy Moderna and that’s final!

That’s fine by me, mate. On the other hand, V and I will be towards the front of the queue when it becomes available round here.

1 Like