Covid booster being offered to over 50s this Autumn

Yep, I can fully understand that, Summer.
I got so bad I got carted off in an ambulance! Really frightening, especially when you’re on your own.

2 Likes

I’ll not be having one, thanks. :frowning_face: I decided that enough was enough, way back.

1 Like

What I don’t get Pixie is, the Flu changes every year, but we still only have one vaccine in 12 months.
They just tweak it for the newest version, they don’t keep repeating it every few months.

I personally, don’t believe so many vaccines in a relatively short time does our immune systems any favours. I am concerned repeated battering can do more damage than good.

Two separate doctors now have agreed with me not wanting any more. I am utterly convinced they know more than we are being told, but everyone must make their own choices.

1 Like

I agree with you! How can our bodies cope with such things…? Its a bit much…especially if you are older and already have a weakened immune system due to other health issues.

1 Like

On top of these multiple Covid vaccines, many also go and have the Shingles one, plus the Pneumonia one, plus the Flu one.
Surely it must batter their immune system, rather than protect it.

1 Like

I think the boosters offer more protection from severe disease but I’m also a bit wary after 2 bad reactions out of 3 vaccines (despite having had covid pre-vaccines)

But hey ho… flu and covid vaccines are here to stay I suppose :unamused:

It was, but I think my Daughter was more frightened than me, I was just confused. :worried: :confused:

Not really over the moon about this. My last booster jab made me quite ill for a couple of days. Unfortunately, I have a few cruises booked and I dare say I will be needing to have it before being allowed to board. Besides, I REALLY hate needles, so I may have to be brave and “suck it up” and take it.

I will certainly not be having anymore Covid vaccines and I don’t do flu jabs anyway - prefer to rely on my own very robust immune system. It knows what it is doing and does it very well.

1 Like

According to my medical records, I’ve had both of these but I can’t remember going to get them. In any case, I had a minor dose of shingles a couple of years ago and that was AFTER I was supposed to have had the jab.

Looking at the condition, it’s certainly been linked to adverse reactions to drugs. I’m surprised the medics you saw didn’t think it was connected to the vaccine. Particularly if you have no previous history. It’s also linked to covid itself. Glad you were ok after. Must have been awful.

1 Like

That’s only because it’s a seasonal vaccination but covid isn’t proving to be seasonal in the same way as flu. There’s a massive wave now in the heat of summer.

1 Like

Annie, I remember them saying after the winter it all began, that they thought it would go when the warmer weather arrived in the spring. But as you say, it carried on regardless of the seasons.
Shows how much they knew, thinking it was a winter virus.

If it keeps on changing every few weeks/months though, we could end up having dozens of injections with each new variant. How do they know that is safe?

I agree. Having had two Covid vaccinations and a booster, I shall not be having any more. I think they’re going over the top now and that it might now be a politically driven idea.
Flu vaccines have always been one a year, not several in a year.
I’ll manage without, thank you.

1 Like

A man after my own heart!

They do, but they’re unlike most other vaccines. In conjunction with covid mutating at an awful rate.

Did anyone watch Unvaccinated last night 9pm BBC 2?
It looked very interesting, I recorded it.

My sister and brother are over 75 so have both had a 4th booster in the latest round.
I don’t qualify till the Autumn but am looking forward to having my next booster, the effect of the one I had in October must be minimal now.

I had a severe reaction to the second dose, that hasn’t put me off though . I know with my health history if I catch Covid I could be very ill and as I already have breathlessness and trouble breathing at times the thought of spending a long time
on a ventilator unable to move is my worst nightmare.

I am still taking every precaution. I seem to be surrounded by people with Covid at the moment including neighbours back from holiday .

I started watching that, Ruthio, but missed half of it.

I did see one young lass on there saying about how ill her friend was after vaccination.
She was only in her 20’s, and had always been fit and well - then she had the vaccine.
Within 5 days, this girl had had a stroke, and 3 heart attacks!!

The interviewer asked - “How do you know it was because of vaccination?”

Seems one helluva coincidence to me if it wasn’t!

4 Likes

Hi
The pneumonia vaccine is a one off.

It did not work for me, recently in hospital for 3 weeks with pneumonia.

The flu vaccine is annual and this is possible because flu has been around a long time,studied thoroughly and the direction of mutation can be fairly accurately predicted.

COVID is new and is mutating rapidly so we are playing catch-up, hence the multiple vaccines.

You can still be hospitalised with COVID, many are. Treatment is better but it is still filling up beds and delaying treatment for other things.

Here we have long delays outside A&E for ambulances.

Some of this is down to Resus being split into red and green to avoid spreading COVID