Covid bereaved families 'sickened' over No 10 Christmas party

Laura Kuenssberg
Political editor
@bbclaurakon Twitter

“Planet Boris is the strangest place in the world - no rules apply,” a cabinet minister told me a few days ago as they marvelled at the strangeness of the current political universe.

Events had been disastrous, they admitted, yet they seemed sure at that moment that the prime minister’s ability to defy any normal political gravity would see him through.

But then, on Tuesday night, a video emerged showing aides joking about a Downing Street event last Christmas as Britain was in lockdown. The humiliating leak engulfed No 10 in a fresh crisis that shows no sign of easing.

Day after day, for more than a month, Downing Street has been struggling to keep hold of events.

There have been miscalculations and missteps - attempts to change the rules to protect one of their own, Owen Paterson; the disastrous efforts to close down stories about Christmas parties last year, and most recently, a fine for the Conservative Party over the financing of Mr and Mrs Johnson’s lavish renovation of the No 10 flat.

The mistakes have been all the worse because they were miscalculations of Downing Street’s own making. Almost nothing riles MPs and ministers outside the clique at the top of government more than No 10 making mistakes for which they all have to answer.

Each incident fuelled the opposition’s main argument they had been making for months - that Mr Johnson behaves as if he’s exempt from following the rules.

Whether it’s the Christmas parties or the cash for the flat, the mess has highlighted this prime minister’s complicated relationship with the truth.

BJ can’t handle the truth … :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi

More evidence coming out now.

The Government are either treating the voters with contempt or incompetent.

1 Like

IMO, both … :+1:

This would make it the fourth gathering to be looked into by Cabinet Secretary Simon Case, who was tasked with the investigation into government parties last week.

The PM said Mr Case would report back “as soon as we reasonably can”.

I won’t hold my breath … :roll_eyes: