Covid bereaved families 'sickened' over No 10 Christmas party

The party took place on 18 December, with a source telling the BBC “several dozen” people attended - the Covid restrictions operating at the time banned such events.

Boris Johnson - who was not at the party - said no Covid rules were broken, but No 10 has refused to explain how party-goers complied. Asked by reporters on Thursday why he would not tell the public what happened at the party, the PM replied: “Because I have told you.”

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer said last year’s event in No 10 showed it was “one rule for them and another rule for everybody else”, adding that it sent “completely the wrong message” to the public.

The Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice group have called for an apology from Mr Johnson.

One of its spokespeople, Safiah Ngah, told the BBC: “My Dad died in February from Covid-19, despite being in good health. The last Christmas period is sadly one I will never forget. One in 20 people in my borough had Covid-19 and my family were desperately trying to do what we could to keep each other safe. Unfortunately it wasn’t enough. To think that just a few miles away, No 10 was throwing a ‘Christmas Party’, with no care for the rules they had set, is sickening.”

The party in Downing Street last December was first reported by the Daily Mirror on Tuesday. The newspaper said last year’s official Downing Street Christmas party was cancelled due to restrictions, but staff held an unofficial gathering. A source who attended later told the BBC that party games were played, food and drink were served, and the party went on past midnight.

The event took place two days after London went into Tier 3 lockdown restrictions on 16 December, meaning people were not allowed to mix indoors with anyone outside their household or support bubble. People were allowed to gather if it was reasonably necessary for work purposes, but that would not have included holding a party.

At a Downing Street press conference on 16 December, Mr Johnson said: “This Christmas it’s vital that everyone exercises the greatest possible personal responsibility.”

Reports about last year’s Christmas party at No 10 have been met with anger and heartache on social media. People have been sharing how they spent 18 December 2020, from working long shifts in hospitals through to losing loved ones.

The list of appalling behaviour and responses from BJ and his government grows ever longer - I believe that we are now at item no 312.

What is different these days is they don’t care if people are aware of their transgressions.
In times past they did their best to cover them up.You could call it open government I suppose,I’m sure Boris would anyway.

1 Like

He’s so arrogant he believes everything he does is ok and rules aare for others.

In the clip, obtained by ITV, the PM’s then press secretary Allegra Stratton responds in a playful tone to questions from colleagues pretending to be journalists.

Special adviser to the prime minister Ed Oldfield asks her about reports of a party in Downing Street “on Friday night”.

In reply, Ms Stratton says: “I went home” and then pauses.

After Mr Oldfield follows up to question if the prime minister would “condone” a Christmas party, Ms Stratton asks: “What’s the answer?”

When another aide jokes that “it wasn’t a party, it was cheese and wine” she laughs and asks “is cheese and wine all right?”, adding: “This fictional party was a business meeting and it was not socially distanced.”

The mock news conference took place in Downing Street on Tuesday 22 December, without members of the media present.

At the time, the government’s coronavirus guidance specifically stated that people should not have Christmas parties - and gatherings in London of two or more people indoors were banned unless they were “reasonably necessary” for work.

A day after Ms Stratton’s jokey exchange, Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced that strict lockdown rules would be in place over Christmas for parts of England, meaning many could not see relatives over the festive period.

In response to the clip, No 10 said: “There was no Christmas party. Covid rules have been followed at all times.”

Well, they would say that, wouldn’t they … :man_shrugging:

“Covid rules have been followed at all times.” seems to be the “cover-up” for all ‘indiscretions’ … :roll_eyes:

It,s been said many times, There,s one rule for them and another for the rest. “Don,t do as I do, do as I say”
Nothing surprises me any more with this lot.

1 Like

Sounds like a rule for them and a rule for everyone else…

In a statement at the start of Prime Minister’s Questions, Mr Johnson said: “I apologise unreservedly for the offence that it gave up and down the country.”

But he said he had been “repeatedly assured that there was no party and that no Covid rules were broken”.

I’m surprised that his pants didn’t catch fire … :fire:

1 Like

Why hasn’t this oaf gone yet? :angry:

1 Like

Number Tenners of today, just don’t know how to party. Tutt. Winston would have started and finished with Champagne breakfast.

Who are you referring to PK?

Good riddance … :angry:

At least she had the decency to take responsibility and apologise for her mistake, eh Omah? Unlike some people we could mention.

PK.
I think you sre refering to Boris the Bumbler. If this is so and he did resign who would you replace him with?

1 Like

@BigBen I was referring to him, yes…and I have absolutely no idea who should replace him! As far as I am concerned, they are all as bad as each other to be honest :cry:

Why has it taken almost 1 year for this video to come to light ?

Its obviously deliberate to cause problems yet could have caused the same problems last year

1 Like

seems to me like the press and media have blown it all out of proportion, as is usual

2 Likes

When is a Party Not a Party?

1. When it didn’t happen.

2. When it’s a group of people determined, at any cost, to bring down the Government.

3. When it’s a Political slaying tactic by a group who, only a few years ago, was trying to put a Commie in charge, trying to isolate Jewish people, trying to extol the virtues of terrorists.

We need to get out act together, and stop doing the sillies, otherwise the sillies will get into power.

We’re so lucky that the left wingers are not in Downing Street, as they, mostly don’t do Christmas, Religion, or anything except spite.

1 Like

This is potentially all a clever bit of population manipulation. Boris will ride the storm and things will blow over in due course. It won’t really affect who the next government is, since this will be down to the perceived competence of the options next time round.

Instead, in order to persuade as many (covid weary) people as possible to comply with plan B, this Tory Party Christmas party has been made high profile so that people are outraged into cancelling/avoiding social gatherings this year and focus on other behavioural demands.

Mark my words folks - you’ve been played!!

2 Likes

Health Secretary Sajid Javid said top civil servant Simon Case, who is looking into an 18 December party, was “not fixated” on a single date. Get-togethers are also reported to have taken place on 13 and 27 November, when a Covid lockdown was in place. The PM announced an inquiry into the 18 December party on Wednesday after a video emerged of staff joking about it.

What parties and when?

13 November 2020: Sources have told the BBC there were impromptu drinks to mark the exit of the former director of communications at No 10, Lee Cain - but it was staff having drinks at their desks and was over by 20:30.

13 November 2020: Also the date Dominic Cummings left as chief adviser to the PM. Sources told the BBC that several Downing Street staff members attended a gathering with Carrie Johnson in the flat where the prime minister and his wife live above No 11 after exits. A source said music was blaring and could be heard elsewhere in the building. But others said to be at the party denied it took place, as did a spokeswoman for Mrs Johnson.

27 November 2020: Another No 10 aide, Cleo Watson, left Downing Street marked by an event. Again, sources said it was not formally organised, but people were having drinks and Mr Johnson made a speech.

1 December 2020: The Conservatives have confirmed reports that there was an “unauthorised social gathering” in the basement of their party’s building, held by the team of the London mayoral candidate at the time, Shaun Bailey. It was described as “raucous”. Four Tory staff members have been disciplined.

December 10 2020: The Department for Education has confirmed it had a gathering in the office to thank staff for their work during the pandemic. Drinks and snacks were brought by those who attended and no outside guests or support staff were invited.

18 December 2020: The now infamous Downing Street Christmas party took place on this date, as first reported by the Mirror. A source told the BBC there was food, drinks and games at the gathering that went on past midnight.

Another December party: We are still trying to pin down the date of this one, but multiple sources have told the BBC there was a Christmas quiz for No 10 staff in the Cabinet Office, with invites sent out in advance via email, telling people to form teams of six. Downing Street have said it was a “virtual gathering” but while some joined in that say, sources said there were groups in the room sat in their teams.

:partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

Do we know if any other political parties also held similar social events?

1 Like