Covid after effects

12 days ago I went out and caught the dreaded virus as did 5 other friends . We were in a large hall windows open and never gave it a thought. I ended up in A and E with chest pains and sent home after 5 hrs but oh what a horrible virus this is . I still have no energy , lost my sense of smell and hardly taste anything, I didn’t even want a glass of wine or even chocolate . I tried pulling some weeds the weekend and had to lie down. I sleep all the time. My friends younger than me struggling , but my body feels like I’ve had a good hiding .

It’s still around my friends , do be cautious

6 Likes

Blimey … :open_mouth:

I’m sorry to hear that you’re infected … hopefully, a few days will, at least, have you on your feet again … :+1:

If you haven’t been given advice by the hospital, here’s the NHS website:

Rest, liquids and painkillers … :face_with_thermometer:

3 Likes

I was lucky, caught covid a couple of years ago, hardly felt a thing. Missed out on vaccine earlier this year but will get a shot in the autumn.

3 Likes

Hi Sue sorry to hear you’re not to well ….just take it easy don’t overdo it. Forget about the weeds they can wait.
I guess I was lucky or unlucky caught the virus last Christmas!!
Although I breezed through it with no lingering effects

4 Likes

Sorry Susan you have been poorly with this , I thought it was all but gone now we dont hear much about it .
I think it can be passed on by soiled surfaces , door handles and things you touch , It just takes one infected person to sneeze into their hands or air and that s it .

Im thankful Ive never had it , not had any jabs this year .

Hope you feeling better soon

4 Likes

It does affect everyone a bit differently, I hope you will soon be feeling more like yourself. I have a friend, 85 years old, caught it last year, and it took her a good three months to have much energy. But, she did recover fully. I wish you the same result.
Take care of yourself, rest and don’t push your body too hard.

4 Likes

Thankyou everyone, what surprises me is my younger friends are struggling too . I’ve had 2 jabs and maybe I might have been worse . The heart pain was a covid pain and seems many get it . I rang 111 just to check it was normal with the virus next half hour I got 2 lovely paramedics in my bedroom ( amazing , I know, how lucky ) . My taste buds still struggling and can’t smell much . It’s the exhaustion which is awful. I’m still telling myself I’m very lucky when so many lost family and friends. I didn’t get a bad chest or a nasty sore throat or snotty head cold , I felt I’d had a bad hiding and I shivered for hours . Felt sorry for myself being alone but probably for the best as I would hate to pass it on .

One day at a time as you say . I’ll watch the weeds grow . Someone told me I will be safe from covid for 90 days due to immunity but I’ll be keeping myself safe from now on . Keep safe everyone

4 Likes

My wife and I caught it on the way home from Turkey last September. I felt rough for a couple of days but my wife who is 10 years younger than me only had slight symptoms. We tested clear after about 8 days. We both had all the jabs so that was in our favour.

2 Likes

Did you test positive for Covid Susan?
I ask because I have had several friends with the same symptoms but have tested negative for covid.
I hope you are feeling better soon… :hugs:
Is someone keeping an eye on you to make sure that you are okay?

2 Likes

I hope you get well soon.
Here in Victoria;

The state has recorded 823 new COVID-19 cases, down from last week’s total of 3,425.

There are 158 people in hospital with the virus, seven of those in intensive care.

There were seven new deaths recorded.

It certainly is still around.

2 Likes

I did OGF one red line, then another little bug…r I was stunned . I’d been lucky up till now . I’m on my own, and strangely enough, you get used to coping and don’t have expectations anymore . No cups of tea unless I make it myself . Thanks for asking

1 Like

Just as a matter of interest did they give you anti virals?

Apparently early intervention with anti virals is the preferred treatment for Covid in older people here. They bring them to your door.

(I have no first hand experience of this - it was a talk at my seniors club)

2 Likes

I’m so sorry this dreadful virus has affected you so badly…as you know my daughter had a terrible reaction to Covid a couple of years ago and ended up in ICU with Pneumonia and blood clots on her lungs…

I’m happy to report she is now much better Covid is not a virus to be ignored ring the doc if you need help…we are all of the opinion Kate battled on for too long thinking she would be OK before asking for help…dont feel you are being a nuisance…ring for help if you need it.

3 Likes

Good advice from Bruce and Summer.
Keep us updated on the forum Susan so we know you are alright…
:hugs:

1 Like

Summer I remember your daughter being very poorly hope she is well and strong now . Poor girl

Bruce , we don’t get given anti viral drugs here, I’ve never heard of them, they just tell us to take paracetamol.

Thankyou all for your kind thoughts , I’m better now , just feel as though I need new battery’s to give me energy . My sense of smell slowly coming back and I’ve got a taste for Walkers plain crisps , guess I’m craving the salt . I’ve been lucky compared to some unfortunate people .

Take care everyone it is still around, I was so careful too , hand washing often . It’s not nice . I’m now wondering whether to have the 3rd jab

1 Like

They are only for people over 70, indigenous or at risk people over 50 and need to be taken early

https://www.health.gov.au/health-alerts/covid-19/treatments/eligibility

1 Like

I’m thinking about these anti viral tablets and thought I’d ask if they do help if you get the virus , and if so how . I don’t think we can get them here or does anyone have the answer .

We’ve been told the jab only lasts a certain amount of time so I guess that’s what they offer here .

Have you had the tablets Bruce ?

No, I have never had covid but I do know people who have, that is how I know they get delivered to their door straight from the chemist.

1 Like

Today’s news had a call for more anti virals to be used.

1 Like

Here in UK we are offered the flu jab , I had it 4 years running and each time I was very unwell for about 10 days, completely wiped off my feet , terrible sore throat , thick head cold and very poorly so I don’t have it now . I have had 2 covid jabs and wasn’t affected by them apart from a sore arm .

I don’t know about anti viral meds though as never been offered .

I wonder why viruses are becoming more virulent and nasty . When I was young we never had a ‘flu’ season as its known , we got head colds , but never each year in a particular season .