COVID-19 - UK: ONS Reports - 31 January 2023 - 1m Positive

London’s public health chief says that omicron has passed the peak. Also says that vaccines and boosters are still important at this time.

1 Like

The backpedaling continues …

… and I feel 100% vindicated in relaying what the S African health people said last month about Omicron being much tamer than Delta.

1 Like

You certainly are Percy

1 Like

Got a link to your post?

Well, I couldn’t find the word “tamer”. Are you saying that, in the UK, due to the Omicron variant, “no-one had died yet, next to no-one had been hospitalised, most cases were unvaccinated young adults, worst symptoms were no more than a bad cold” … :question:

The vaccines don’t appear to work on Omicron - Pfizer won’t have one until March.

As far as Omicron is concerned, people have been vaccinated for something else.

Oh for Pete’s sake … whichever way you want to look at it, Omicron is definitely by far and away much less vicious than the Delta variant. Agreed it is more virulent, but the number of people hospitalised and/or died because of it have been shown to be far, far, far fewer than with Delta - the numbers you’ve posted here, on this thread, prove this to be the case.

2 Likes

Exactly, Percy.

Thats how pandemics go …this is no different. Each wave brings with it a much less deadly variant.

So, no-one said “tamer”?

… and you feel that the statement that you made in the earlier post has been “vindicated”?

But now you’re saying something different:

I don’t think I bothered arguing with your earlier fallacious statement but your new (improved) statement does contain the elements of truth.

the symptoms of Omicron are the same as the common cold.

Stop projecting and harvesting fear.

2 Likes

If what I stated doesn’t mean roughly the same as tamer then I’ll eat my hat.

Thank you, :roll_eyes: I think.

Please start chewing.

Cases

People tested positive

Latest data provided on 13 January 2022

Daily

Last 7 days

Out of Control … :skull_and_crossbones:

The “trend” downward continues for cases but not deaths:

Can’t find any stats to say that deaths are due to omicron rather than Delta which is still circulating. Deaths:cases have dropped significantly since this new variant started doing the rounds.

Not according to the graph.

12th january 2021 we had 49352 cases and 1243 deaths 2.5%
12th jan 2022 we have 38359 cases and 335 deaths 0.8%

Both cases and deaths as a % of cases have fallen significantly. Cases are likely higher but the number of tests conducted has fallen possibly due to the shortage of kits. Although hospital admissions have gone up it’s nowhere near the levels of Jan 2021. The combination of a massive vaccination effort and a milder variant that is proving to be an effective firewall against the more deadly Delta.

We are thankfully not seeing the devastation we saw in previous waves.

1 Like

You said this:

and that’s patently not true.

Now you’re making a comparison, year on year, which is something else entirely.

:man_shrugging: