Countdown – anyone watching today?

I regularly watch Channel 4’s ‘Countdown’ while having my lunch, I have done this for years now. However, today it is rather different. No Anne Robinson, who only recently took over from Nick Hewer. No Rachel Riley and no Susie Dent either. It’s all very different and the reason for this, of which I was unaware until today, is that everyone on there is obviously from ethnic minority groups, as shown and the reasons given for this, in the link below:

If you also watch this programme regularly what do you reckon to this complete change, without any notice whatsoever, acceptable or not?

Hi, this is an automated message from your friendly Over50sChat bot :039:

Please note this thread has been tagged with our diversity-and-equality tag and so as part of our duty of care towards all members of the community and our general social responsibility of supporting fairness and equality for everyone, these threads have special status here.

This means you should only participate in this thread if you/your comments are supportive of equality for everyone, regardless of their race, gender, gender identity, sexuality, able-bodiedness or in fact any other physical or mental attribute that is beyond their control.

You can see a full list here of items and examples of when this tag may be used, but in general, these threads are for those who want to help foster a more inclusive atmosphere and to show support to those who may be in minority groups - that the site and many of our members support and welcome you. Thank you for your understanding and for helping make the Over50sChat community the best it can be!

:white_heart: :yellow_heart: :brown_heart: :black_heart: :blue_heart: :purple_heart: :heart:
:sparkling_heart: :orange_heart:
:rainbow_flag:

We record Countdown every day and watch it at teatime. We only found out about this at the end of yesterday’s programme. I suppose it’s C4’s attempt at “diversity in all things”. We’ll watch it just the same but only because we like Trevor McDoughnut.

I missed most of yesterday’s programme, which is very unusual. That was only due to having a fencing company here to put in a new fence so I was liaising with them at that time. The catch-up an hour later I missed for the same reason. Today it came as a real surprise when it was ‘all change’ with me knowing nothing about that at all.

I was further surprised when posting this thread to find the new way of moderating came into play. If nothing else it seems the ‘friendly Over50sChat bot’ works OK, just one point though is that the link within the text doesn’t appear to work. I wondered what was in the full list of items and examples when this tag may be used?

Hi Bax

I tried that link, too … it doesn’t work so I’ve flagged it … :slightly_smiling_face:

The link didn’t work for me either…

What do I think?
I think that I am probably going to need my helmet and full protective clothing if I answer fully and honestly, because what I’m going to point out might well be divisive and provoke disagreement.

Here goes:

From what I see, the BAME part of British society is too-often over-represented on British TV already with far too many advertisements especially showing a much higher percentage of BAME actors than the 86%-white statistics of the 2011 consensus would suggest, and even allowing for change through the intervening years it won’t have changed that figure by anywhere near as much as the apparent over-representation on TV suggests.
Not that I’m objecting.
I’m just pointing out that BAME do seem to be statistically over-represented on UK TV already.

Then I have to question whether the audience which the “special” diversity takeover of Countdown is likely to reach will actually do anything at all to encourage new black and other BAME talent into British broadcasting?
Because Countdown isn’t watched in significant numbers by the younger generations as a whole who prefer other media for their entertainment to such OTA broadcasts, and even the show’s popularity overall is declining according to YouGov.
So it is unlikely that having a “Black to front” edition will in any way encourage new BAME talent into the industry.

Last is the obvious.
If we had a special edition even approaching the opposite to that where no other representation other than white-skinned was shown for any reason, spurious or genuine, there would be uproar.
Without any shadow of a doubt there would be uproar.

So while I personally really don’t mind a “Black to the fore” Countdown or other BAME representation on C4, unless anyone can explain why it should be that black-skinned or BAME minorities can get such representation when white-skinned cannot it will be an unfair and (dare I utter this word?) racist idea.
And that as far as I am concerned is where our society has huge problems.
Too often we pander to the desires of others at the expense of the majority.

2 Likes

No need to duck in my opinion, Zaphod because I think you are just stating what anyone can see with their own eyes if they had a mind to. Both V and I often comment on the number of BAME actors and ACTRESSES we see in TV programmes, announcers and newsreaders all the time.

1 Like

Channel 4 has practically killed which was probably the only progam I regularly watched on this channel, it has been dumbed down the nth degree, I cannot remember the last time a contestant had nine otter word.
Then the Channel decided that they should have a regular all women editions.
But the final nail was appointing the awful Ann Robertson to the chair.
Consquently I stopped watching the program.

Thanks Omah, not much point in having all this and we don’t know for sure what it is. :frowning_face:

See above quote Mags … :grinning:

It works fine here on Firefox @Baz46 & takes you straight to the Metro.co.uk feature page for that story.

Here are a few different links if it helps anybody:

https://www.channel4.com/4viewers/black-to-front-project

Thanks anyway Zaphod but it was the link within the body text describing what the ‘friendly Over50sChat bot’ covers I was referring to (post #2), the other one to the Metro news item works OK, see text copied below:

You can see a full list here of items and examples of when this tag may be used, but in general, these threads are for those who want to help foster a more inclusive atmosphere and to show support to those who may be in minority groups - that the site and many of our members support and welcome you. Thank you for your understanding and for helping make the Over50sChat community the best it can be!

The bold word ‘here’ in the text above should be a link but it’s not linked to anything at present. :slightly_frowning_face:

Ah gotcha, my apologies.

That’s OK, no problem. :+1: :grinning:

I’d just like to confirm that I am fully supportive of equality for everyone, regardless of their race, gender, gender identity, sexuality, able-bodiedness or in fact any other physical or mental attribute that is beyond their control, provided that their opportunities and public representation is in proportion to their numerical presence in the population of this country!

Ditto, but this edition of Countdown was bloody awful, amateurish in extremis.

Actually, I was responding to the Bot above!

:+1: OK.

Sorry, I hadn’t seen the Countdown quiz. Actually, I used to watch it before I ditched our TV licence and, in all honesty, I can’t watch it now. A shame, because that bit of stuff who did all the difficult maths questions was un morseau de tout droit.

My French isn’t good JBR, in fact non-existent so I had to consult a translation website. From there apparently it means “a walrus of any right”, a saying I’ve not heard before. Was that referring to Carol Vorderman, as there’s another female doing that now – Rachel Riley? :thinking: :grinning:

I’m thinking of ditching my TV licence, if that happens am I not allowed to watch programmes providing they are not being broadcast live, possibly on catch-up TV? Just curious. :thinking: