Countdown – anyone watching today?

No! :rofl: It’s Dog Latin and, loosely translated, means “a little bit of all right”!
I don’t know where the walrus came from.

Yes, that is correct. If you surrender your TV licence, you’re not allowed to watch any live transmitted programmes or any programmes at all on BBC iPlayer. Not that I’ve found that any hardship! To be perfectly honest, I have found that there is far more to watch on the catch-up channels and the paid-for channels like Amazon Prime and Netflix. Even together, they cost a little less than the TV licence.
Of course, if you do want to watch a broadcast TV programme, you could just quickly plug in the aerial, close the curtains and turn the sound down a little, just in case the BBC Police pay a call. Not that I ever do anything like that, of course! If they do knock on your door, though, don’t let them in. They have no right of entry without a court order signed by a magistrate.

I have to ask is total equality possible . Yes we are all human but as with every living thing there are variations. I won’t say any more as it may go against the gist of this thread

Latin, Dog or otherwise, wasn’t part of my education either. The ‘whale’ translation must have been due to it being French to English. Not to worry though, as for the subject of Carol Vorderman I can only agree with you, she was OK while on Countdown but since then she’s rather spoilt her looks, I reckon. Rachel Riley replaced her rather well I reckon and how she manages to get those dresses so tight I will never work out, unless they are sprayed on!

Thanks for info. on TV without a licence, I don’t have anything other than the terrestrial channels, plus the odd channel left over from Sky I had at one time. The weekends are so bad now that I don’t bother to watch any of the BBC, Ch4 or Ch5 from Friday to Sunday, that’s one reason why I can see no point in paying out for a licence. As you comment more is available elsewhere for a little less. Mind you a new TV will put the cost up rather, the old one is very old so needs replacing.
:grinning:

Yes, I’m afraid she has, and completely unnecessarily in my view. What is it with all these trendy ideas of having an enormous arse?

If you have WiFi, all you need is a FireStick (£40), though to use it you’d need an HDMI socket in the back of your TV. I’m not sure, if your set is old, that it would have one.

I thought that TV licence covered radios as well. if so you would need a licence to play a radio in a car

No. No TV licence needed to listen to the radio.

No idea why anyone needs to have plastic surgery anyway, usually nature knows best and in what you say she’s definitely spoilt her looks. It’s like the ‘trout lips’, what is that all about? I reckon they look really hideous!

Yes, I have wifi. My present TV is about 12 years old now so it needs replacing. I’ve heard about the Firestick and that price (80p a week) it must be worth giving a try. No HDMI cable but they are easily obtained. I did have a demo. by a neighbour who had a 54" TV, he could use his iPhone to transmit TV to that. The quality was amazing, it was an Apple TV. Mine is a Sony and I would probably get another one of those. Winter is the time to do all this, which is when I intend to get it sorted out.

Just sat down for lunch and out of habit went to watch ‘Countdown’ on Channel 4. Then, remembering last Friday’s programme I expected the same again, surprisingly though ‘normal’ service has been resumed!

An ‘all-woman crew’ with one contestant from the ethic minorities. Anne Robinson doing her usual, far too much chat. Perhaps I am biased as I don’t much like her anyway?

I wonder what Friday’s programme was really all about? Perhaps to see how many viewers turned off after seeing how everything had changed or perhaps to see just how many gave it a miss today?

I would say it was schoolboy French myself. Google translator has “paulum ex omnibus jus” as the Latin translation. :grin:

No weekly payment; just a one-off £40 or thereabouts. The only weekly payments we make are for Amazon Prime and Netflix, but all the catch-up channels are free, including YouTube.

Thanks for info. JBR. Yes, it seems to me that there is more variety for less than the cost of a TV Licence. Not surprising there are so many ditching the licence, no longer paying for those on BBC who are well overpaid! I’ve only ever watched You Tube on the laptop or desktop so that’s something else I will benefit from. I am guessing that Freesat and Freeview can be included in all that as long as it’s not live broadcasts? This autumn / winter will probably be better rather than being restricted with not much to watch Friday, Saturday and Sundays. In the next month or so I will have to get that sorted out, definitely before the winter. Rather too much going on at the moment to do it sooner, unfortunately.

I found an interesting news item from February 2015, six years’ ago now, some of the comments are interesting to read:

To be honest, I have never seen Freesat or Freeview on my FireStick. Actually, I think they are a means of TV reception rather than any specific channels. Freeview would come via your aerial and Freesat via a satellite dish (and box). When we used our aerial and watched Freeview, I seem to remember there being at least some of the usual terrestrial channels.

As for that link, I have heard about that suggestion before and strongly disagree with it as much as I disagree with TV licences. If the good old government should step in and add what is now the BBC Tax to our other taxes or even national insurance, there will be a great outrage from people who are being forcibly made to pay for something that they don’t want, perhaps even if they don’t have a television set!

Freeview or FreeSat was my plan from some years’ ago now, that has all gone as technology has advanced so much. At the time I had Sky with a satellite dish and Sky box, the ariel was useless so I kept with Sky, until finding there were just so many repeat programmes then I ditched it.

Quite agree with you there JBR, we are taxed almost out of existence anyway and as you comment nobody wants to pay a tax for something we may not want and for something we don’t have.

That news item was six years’ ago and then they were talking of ‘within 15 years’, just how much will technology have advanced in that time I wonder?