Could you live in a caravan?

I wouldn’t like to live in the small ones that get towed around on the back of a car, too closraphobic and wouldn’t have room for our 2 Goldies. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

To me it sounded bliss, sand, sea and sun….walks, morning swims and fresh air, sitting outside at night star gazing with a cuppa …

But Mrs M said fine, if you want that book one for a week, but don’t think about us living in one…. :laughing:

1 Like

When I retired I seriously considered downsizing to a park home, which is a sort of glorified static caravan, but when I looked into it I found there were a lot of extra fees, or fine print, if you like, and restrictions, depending on the site, so I didn’t do that

2 Likes

When I was at school, one of my best friends was a Showman & had not his own bedroom, but his own caravan. He had never lived in a house & could not understand his older sister who married a non showman & moved into a house.

1 Like

I love caravan holidays, especially ‘todays’ caravans that have all mod cons - toilet, shower, TV, DVD Player, full size cooker, fridge-freezer, Microwave and central heating… some even have en-suite. Pure comfort with all our needs to hand! :grinning:

3 Likes

I love caravans…for holidays. Not full time living.

Several years ago Holly and I stayed in one at Clacton, during a heatwave. But the nights were freezing. Weird!

1 Like

Yes! Some caravans are kitted out like mini homes, its great!

1 Like

Ahhh see…holidays are fine, but some folks do live in them full time. And yes, the nights are really cold. Its a metal box at the end of the day, not insulated or anything.

Yes, we need to be careful of the fine print…I read an article ages ago about a woman who bought a caravan for £5,000, then had another £3,000 for various “stuff” :open_mouth:

It would not bother me after having to live down an Anderson shelter or the underground for months during the war.
Talking about caravans my great grandmother was a Romani Gypsy and I can remember my mother telling me that she had visited her when she was 12 years of age way back in 1912 and seeing her grandmothers beautiful ornate vardo was like being in another world.
When my great grandmother died her vardo with all her belongings were burnt because it was their custom.

3 Likes

Yes I could do the caravan living but would insist on a luxurious model of course. :sweat_smile:
It would be fun travelling. We are considering doing it part time now that we are retired.

1 Like

I bit of a digression.
We lived on a farm. We had a bothy boy. A young single man. He lived on one of the farm buildings. It was very basic - settee, a bed, a sink, and a bathroom. Nothing as lavish is a caravan.

2 Likes

I love the idea of living in a caravan by the sea but in reality I would miss central heating and plenty of storage space.

I have lived in my camper for over three months at a time. I don’t understand the issue with the cold because you are mobile so you drive to where it is warmer (or cooler).

For convenience I have a “toilet” tent (two actually) for changing, showering and other ablutions when wild camping, I also carry a spade for digging holes ;-).

My past variety of tents are no longer used as the joy of getting up and down to get into them has diminished with age, most of them have been given away. I carry either a 3m by 3m gazebo or an awning for shade and protection form the rain.

I carry a butane and a petrol stove though I don’t cook much except when really remote as I would rather have a club or pub meal and there is always sandwiches.

My car and camper have a solar panel and a 110 Ah aux battery each with a 50 litre fridge in the back of the car. The solar panels charge the batteries and with my usage would last indefinitely but they can be run off the mains supply. There is also a portable 160watt solar panel that I can carry if I think I need it.

The car has a range of about 700km on a tank of fuel while towing though the effect of the trailer on fuel consumption is actually marginal. I have thought of fitting a long range tank but the benefits are not that great, I carry 20l of diesel and the longest distance I have come across without a fuel stop is about 300km

However I do not live in my camper permanently but a six month trip or more in it would not be out of the question.

2 Likes

Perfect for a single person with no pets.

sounds horrific. The best thing about a holiday village is that it’s a novelty.

just looking at body language, the lady in the article does not look happy at all. her words say one thing her hands & eyes another.

Though I mostly travel by myself it is actually perfect for a couple because inside it is a full double bed but there are people who travel with kids, I personally wouldn’t like that, When I holidayed with my kids we used tents only - we had an 8 seater people mover in those days (Mitsubishi Starwagon)

This couple travel in a teardrop with their kid in Canada in the cold and wet. I have owned my teardrop for over 5 years and I think I have had about 10 wet days while travelling in that time

1 Like

There is no way I could live in a £5000.00 caravan. :grin:

1 Like

Its all about perspective, Spitty :+1: