Could you live in a caravan?

I was reading this article:

and wondered if anyone could do this (by choice). She seems perfectly happy with it, and I found it interesting how she added the “middle-class” bit in there. As if choosing to live in a caravan inferred that you were poor and couldn’t afford anything else.

So would you? I’m not sure I could do it for long…especially in the winter time!

1 Like

I could quite happily, in fact the smaller the better. As long as it has a shower and a toilet

2 Likes

It gets a bit tiresome after a while though…I did it for a while when I worked at a livery stables. Not fun for long :frowning:

1 Like

Too cold.

2 Likes

That is a particularly small caravan, with no loo?

But I do love the freedom of our caravan holidays in Cornwall.

Every time we go I think to myself, why on earth do I have so much stuff or think I need so much space? You’ve only got to end up cleaning and looking after it all. Minimal is a lot less work.
So I think I could live quite happily in a caravan, but I’d want some toilet and washing facilities, I’m not weeing in a bucket or washing with a bottle! :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Err no thanks either! There’s minimal, and there’s just silly!

1 Like

Not in a little tourer like that I couldn’t… But selling up and buying a Static caravan, and living on a coastal site seems popular

4 Likes

Yes that would work, possibly…but I think on sites there is a time limit on how long you can stay. This is for maintenance work to be carried out - so where do you go for when the site is closed? There are only so many sofa’s you can bunk up on :smiley:

1 Like

No I couldn’t do it, not even in a large static van with all home comforts. I’d never be able to get away from my husband’s snoring - or he from mine :joy:. But seriously, that apart, I wouldn’t know what to do with myself if I couldn’t have a crafting space. I mean, this girl still works, remotely, from her caravan. But the thought of being retired, living in even a larger static one, actually fills me with horror. There really are only so many books you can read…

3 Likes

Yes agree muddy too blinking cold

2 Likes

Pixie there are permanent, residential, sites. I had an uncle and aunt who lived in one in Devon for many years.

2 Likes

Oh is there, Sheba? I didn’t know that…I don’t think we have them up here.

One I know of lets you stay 50 weeks of the year, and you have to leave at Christmas. (Seems a bit bizarre if you don’t “do” Christmas, but I suppose if you run a site, you need a break too :woman_shrugging: )

1 Like

Yes, I think the majority are like that, classified as ‘holiday sites’. We were looking at a chalet home several years ago in Cornwall, and that was for only 50 weeks a year, closed for two weeks over Christmas. But there are a few residential ones, either caravans or park homes.

1 Like

Would be home from home?..or would it not…
imagine falling out with your neighbours, what then

4 Likes

Dianne! Noooo, this is horrific! Who would want to live like this??

I was thinking more like

caravan.PNG

4 Likes

So nearly always had Holidays in Caravans.
They are good for that and you can add an awning to give you more space…
Husband’s Brother when he first married had little money, so they purchased a static caravan.
They enjoyed living in their ‘home’ and of course just wed so life was all a bed of Roses.
Come the first Winter the heating they found was efficient enough and drying clothes was a big issue they soon discovered.
…Caused condensation of course…Open windows and freeze or live in a damp/humid atmosphere.
An old friend from Bexhill, he and his wife decided with their financial difficulties they would buy a Static Caravan. Good site with and indoor swimming pool for a starters…Allowed a small shed next to the Caravan and he overlooked a small river…Then the rains came and it burst it’s bank…several times that happened…Sold up in complete disappear, lost most of the value on the caravan and ended up temporarily with friends…

3 Likes

Yes, I could easily live in a caravan permanently but a really nice one. With a wrap around awning to extend the exterior living area! Seriously love these two luxe ones!

1. Conqueror UEV-25 | Luxury Has a New Name | Off-Road Caravans

2. https://www.mobilodge.com/mobi-lodge-continental

So, caravanning is my top option that I am considering for retirement.

The only thing holding me back is being a solo female traveler in South Africa is not a very wise choice :roll_eyes:

There’s beautiful caravan parks in SA and Africa. With off road capability, these two options above are great. The ground clearance is perfect!

4 Likes

Yes but No…
that one I posted was in Dubai… :innocent:

3 Likes

That’s the beauty of it!

You can always move!!!

:039:

4 Likes

Minx, yes I like both of those options. Sadly have to agree with your about being a solo female and travelling around (or even being static) in SA. I think it would be risky anywhere right now though…the world is a little intimidating…

4 Likes