Could Scots be guaranteed a minimum income?

A Minimum Income Guarantee (MIG) would aim to provide everyone in Scotland with a minimum acceptable standard of living - so that everyone has enough money for housing, food and essentials as well as covering individual circumstances like disability or caring requirements.

Oooh! This is interesting…:open_mouth:

2 Likes

Not only interesting but brilliant if that did come into being. I cannot speak about Scotland as I am from ‘down south’ but there is, or was before Brexit and the pandemic, plenty of money around. The problem always was and still is that this often goes one way, to those who already have plenty. What kind of a country / society do we live in when those who work and provide the means for those people to gain wealth that gives them more than one house, innumerable cars, private jets etc, etc., yet the people lower down the scale cannot earn enough money to cover their basic needs? Something needs to change, perhaps this will be a start?
:grinning:

It’s a noble idea and very interesting too, but my scepticism won’t stop me from wondering if it’s just another SNP “this will get us more votes” ploy.
Even the report acknowledges how expensive it would be and there are already big enough questions about how Scotland could afford independence without a significant reduction in their standard of living, but even without the question of independence where would the funding come from?
I really cannot envisage the rest of the UK being exactly happy about funding it.

1 Like

It’s unaffordable and another gimmick and deflection by the failing SNP.

The big problem will come at election time when parties will out-bid each other for votes and the people will vote for the party offering the most.

Total lunacy and guaranteed to fail, like everything else the SNP has been involved in. Sort out health, education and your drug problems Sturgeon instead.

3 Likes

Well firstly,
If people don’t work,where does the income tax that’s funding everything come from ??
The multi billionaires have allready arranged that their " earnings" are paid into foreign banks and
have also arranged that that is perfectly legal in law??
This begs the question of who makes these laws ??
Donkeyman! :-1::thinking::thinking::-1:

The first I already questioned.
As to the latter: in Scotland their Parliament as voted for by a majority of Scottish voters.

Isn’t your third question is answered by your second one DM? Multi-billionaires and their ‘wealthy friends’ in the legal professions and above, in parliament, make the laws and they all enjoy the wealthy status this brings them. :slightly_frowning_face: :grinning:

Well I did wonder what their end game was - was it a votes ploy, or a genuine attempt to eradicate the poverty that some areas are having to cope with. Then, obviously, where IS the money going to come from? Its a heck of a lot of money to pay out and Scotland isn’t that big to generate it back even with exports, tourism, taxes etc…so I don’t know…but

I find your comment @Bread a bit harsh. Scotland has the second lowest COVID numbers in the UK, which is where our First Minister has been focusing her attentions on (not getting married and making babies, like some)

I don’t think its a gimmick really either…Nicola Sturgeon is looking at other countries who have implemented such a scheme, quite successfully, and is probably inspired.

I await the final report with interest.

1 Like

Sturgeon is a disaster. During covid she has been 2 weeks behind the government, her vaccine rollout has been the worst in the UK, as goes for the disaster in care-homes. She has been given billions by the UK tax payer and hived off massive sums and put them in bank accounts instead of giving it to the people. I could go on all day :lol:

As for “independence” she still hasn’t answered the questions from 7 years ago.

The SNP are useless.

1 Like

Scotland’s social policy (under the SNP) is already more advanced than the rest of the UK, so why assume it’s a ploy? :017:

It’s easy when she doesn’t have to pay for it.

I doubt it, even your nonsense is exhaustible.

Harbal, name one success of the SNP.

COVID.

Being accountable.

Also @Bread This isn’t a “bash the SNP” thread…this is about their suggestion of introducing a minimum income and if its possible or not.

1 Like

Their overwhelming majority in the Scottish Parliament.

It’s possible the SNP could do this. But, I think it would be a complete disaster … :slight_smile:

But it’s a noble aspiration.

And thats about all it is.

Apologies to both you and Zaphod Baz !
My questions were tongue in cheek, and l allready knew the answers ??:grin::grin:
Which apply equally to England as Scotland ??

Donkeyman! :+1::hugs::+1: