Contactless Payments to be increased to £100

Hi

Good News?

Perhaps not, too easy to be nicked

2 Likes

I have just seen this myself on the news, this was expected to happen before now but did not for some reason. More Information about the news on this today on the link below:

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-08-27/contactless-payment-rise-to-100-sparks-concern-about-crime

1 Like

From elsewhere on here.

Mr Georgiev said: “Payments made via mobile phones are even more secure than those made by contactless cards.

“That’s because there are several layers of security on the devices people use. First you need to verify the card when initially saving it in the app. Then, in order to make a payment, there are different types of security applied by different providers. There will be either a code or password required to activate the card and approve the payment, or there will be a fingerprint scan or face recognition system on the phone. The standard plastic card has a PIN that may be required from time to time, especially after new rules that mean merchants will ask for the PIN following a certain number of contactless payments. “But people often keep their PIN written down along with their card in a purse or wallet. For mobile payments the key factor is the multi-layer authentication which comes from the provider and the customer who has set up the security measures on the device.”

Apple Pay was the first ‘digital wallet’ on the market when it was released in October 2014. Android Pay followed in 2015 and was renamed Google Pay in 2018. There are no spending limits on either system, although some retailers cap the contactless payments at £30 – the same as cards.

They feature a host of security measures, including each card being given a virtual account number so that the real details are never shared with retailers to help protect against fraud.

They also require a screen lock to be set up on devices in order for them to work. Mobiles use NFC, or near-field communication, technology to ‘talk’ to the payment terminal and complete the transaction.

Mobiles it seems is the way to go for secure payment, or rather more secure, where’s there’s money there’ll be a scam.

2 Likes

Yes, I did see that when it was originally posted. Have to admit I found it surprising that making payment by mobile phone is more secure than a card. I’ve never used this method of payment, thinking a card would be more secure, apparently not though. I will have to check out the payment by mobile phone compared to using a card. One good reason for this is that my mobile is always with me whereas I have at the odd time, overlooked to ensure my card is in my wallet. :grinning:

1 Like

I don’t like it £100 is a lot of money to be nicked , how many times could your lost card be used this way, before you realise you’ve lost it ,

2 Likes

Yes, it is a lot of money. I believe previously the limit on card ‘swipe’ transactions was three times, even that would be a lot of money to some people. With the mobile phone though probably most people would realise quite quickly that their mobile phone had gone missing, the card less so I would guess. The one other problem with that is if your phone is missing then how do you contact the card or phone company to inform them?

2 Likes

The same way as before, now it’ll be a problem if you don’t have a landline, but don’t forget you still have your card.

1 Like

Like many others I guess,I don’t have a landline, all calls made and received are on my mobile. Also as with most people nowadays all the telephone numbers you ever use or need are on there too. I ‘lost’ access to my laptop some months back, that was horrendous, almost everything required to run my life was on there and it was quite some task setting everything up again on a new laptop.

Are we all getting to rely far too much on this technology I wonder? :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Definitely good news I would have thought, ours went from $100 to $200 over a year ago.

Personally my groceries are rarely even $100 but contactless payments are so convenient and much safer than cash, if your credit card is misused the banks cover it, if you lose cash; tough!

Yes best not to keep too much money in your debit account .

2 Likes

Hi …

So I’ve been using contactless for a few months … HSBC Debit Card, what fun.

Now my Barclaycard (Credit Card) has been renewed and I’ve been sent a contactless one. I don’t want it. I have a Barclaycard for -on the rare occasion- I want to hire a car. I can’t think of any other reason, I can’t think of the last time I used it, maybe five years ago.

Is it worth the hassle of trying to contact these people, and if I’m successful, will they send a non-contactless one? Or is contactless the only word they understand?

1 Like

Let me try to understand this… You want to contact someone in the contactless world? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

:upside_down_face: :money_mouth_face: :upside_down_face: :money_mouth_face: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

If it’s a Barclaycard then no I don’t think so, it must be a contactless card.

“That means we are unable to issue you a non-contactless card”
https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/business/help/making-payments/i-dont-want-a-contactless-card-is-there-an-alternative
I know that refers to business but there’s this on the personal side which implies the same:
https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/help/contactless-payments/contactless-off

:023: Thank you @Zaphod

One-size-fits-all

again

Grrrrrr

1 Like

It is not compulsory to use the contactless feature the swipe and chip features are still there.

1 Like

Re the plan to increase the contactless card limit from £45 to £100 on 15th October.
I think this is not a wise move.
Does it not make the risk of theft or abuse more likely?
If I lose my card, I stand to lose more money.

1 Like

I wonder how many shops they can visit before some sort of warning alarm kicks in?

I guess they can’t hit the cash machines, but a shop till would be a target.

1 Like

Hi

Lidl have updated their tills to £100 already.

2 Likes

Another great win for the fraudsters.

1 Like