Contactless Payments to be increased to £100

I always use a paper notebook to write everything down in. Contacts, Telephone numbers, Account numbers. It sits on the telephone table in the hall so I always know where to grab it from if I need it. Worth a try for a stress free life :+1:

2 Likes

For those like myself who still use the cards that is true I reckon. However, after reading on here I recall, that payments using your mobile phone are more secure I am now considering paying that way rather than by card. By card if you either lose it or it’s stolen, there is nothing to stop anyone using that card. If you pay using your mobile then you have the level of security built into that to prevent any losses as is easily possible with the card. Mobiles have either a passcode, fingerprint or some other personal recognition requirement before it’s possible to make any payment. I hadn’t wanted to use my mobile in that way before but now, with that security, it seems to be to be preferable to using the card.
:grinning:

3 Likes

Yes, after my experience with my laptop I have started doing similar. Like you say it’s worth it to save the stress should anything happen as it did with me. A lot of the problem, as it was for me, is that we have come to rely on this technology far too much. The amount of information on my laptop and mobile phone, without really realising it, was a real surprise. Worse in that situation when trying to change passwords etc. was that the relevant organisation picked up that I was then on a new laptop, that on its own presented problems when wishing to change various details. Again that was for security reasons and for my own good but some organisations, Gmail was one, the security was such that I had to give up on changing a few details and start from scratch again. It was all a real nightmare, one I don’t ever wish to go through again that’s for sure!
:upside_down_face: :grinning:

3 Likes

I don’t like the idea at all, if you lose your card you’re in trouble

Providing you immediately contact your card company though they should reimburse you for any loss,
I would have thought. Unless of course that has changed with the new limit. Perhaps worth checking to be sure though.
:grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll check

My bank tells me on my phone within about a minute that a transaction has taken place and how much on my debit or credit cards so even if someone steals my card I will know if it is used and can stop payment almost instantly.

Sometimes I find it a bloody nuisance because just as I am grabbing my bags at the supermarket my phone goes “Bing” to tell me I have just paid for the groceries!

The bank also protects me from illegal transactions

It can come in handy, I took my son to the grog shop to get a slab of beer when I realised I had left my mask at home but was able to give him my card to pay for it while I waited outside. He doesn’t carry any cards all his transactions are carried out by his NFT device on his phone

1 Like

I’m sure the state would love that. Just like south korea or China. Next they will stick a chip in us.

that must be so joyous when you forget to charge your phone or drop it down the loo. You’d think that they would be finding solutions that avoid reliance on carbon emitting devices with built in obsolescence of which there is a mountain of waste building up in landfill sites.

Precisely my view. They should have more security not less.

1 Like

I think he is pretty joyous that he doesn’t have to carry a wallet as well as a phone, I don’t think he has ever dropped it down the loo and, like me, he puts his phone on charge when he goes to bed.

Yes! :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

I’ve cracked one screen and dropped another phone down the loo (it was in my pocket). Both knackered. So you break your phone and you can’t pay simple as that. That is why we need cash and cards something that isn’t a delicate flower. Plus it is manufactured once and lasts for years, no mess no fuss with chargers or wasting power on things we don’t need to waste power or natural resources on.

I do not own - and never will own - a credit card. I do have a debit card which I insisted on not being a contactless one. It is used on line only to pay for grocery deliveries, DVDs, Books, etc.,from Amazon, and Craft stuff from reliable company’s. I still use cheques to pay the milkman. I draw cash from ATMs inside the Bank/Post Office as and when I need it - that is the most acceptable and secure method as far as I am concerned.

Perhaps there should be a law that stops careless people owning phones?

Or perhaps phones should be used as phones and bank cards should be used to pay for things? Plus a lot of elderly struggle with mobiles particularly the smart phones with touch screen if people have arthritis, those with visual problems, migraines etc. Silly idea to use phones to pay for all and sundry. Unless it’s personal choice it won’t work. Waste of power, waste of earth’s natural resources short term cloud cuckoo thinking. Just like electric cars will be replaced in next to no time. Then someone has to deal with a landfill of batteries.

1 Like

I suppose you could do all that but I think it will be far easier to just stop clumsy people having phones.

1 Like

Surely a phone is ten times more likely to get lost/stolen than a plastic card. I keep my debit card in the front pocket of my levis (no wallet or anything). I don’t carry a phone, unless, on the rare occasion, I know I’m gonna need to phone someone or use google maps because I’m lost.

I flatly refuse to transfer to telephone banking and I also refuse to becoming yet another member of the smartphone sect.
My bank have my home phone and mobile numbers and if anything iffy was to occur to any of my accounts, they would be straight on to me PDQ!

1 Like

It does seem to be a new religion where people have been deluded into thinking that they can’t live without a smartphone. Yet somehow we survived on this planet for thousands of years without one. A great way to control the population of their own volition and at their own expense!

2 Likes