Conservative Party Leadership Contest 2022

I really hope Liz Truss doesn’t get to be PM…if she can’t hold her shock and maintain professionalism at somebody fainting in front of her, then she will be hopeless in the face of Putin and his ilk.

2 Likes

Looks like the Ukrainians, American people as well as the Tory membership, can see past Boris eating a piece of cake:

2 Likes

Trying to trivialise the evil Johnson has done by making out it was just about eating cake is just an poor attempt to deflect blame

He did far, far more wrong than than that an no one should see past what he’s done,ever.

And there’s nothing good to see if you did see past it, just more lies and corruption

Johnson made a show of supporting the Ukraine to boost his own popularity and try to cover up what he’d been up to here

But course, the Ukrainians want the continued support so they didn’t look closely at his motives

Really, he was just exploiting their misery, and not caring that he was inflaming the situation with Russia and leading us closer to war

A lot of Americans couldn’t see through Trump either and still support him, so I suppose some won’t see through Johnson either. There will always be some people that populist snake oil salesmen appeal to

As for Tory party members still supporting him, I think that shows a basic lack of integrity endemic in the Tory party and words fail me :rage:

2 Likes

“ . But with news that Ukrainians want Mr Johnson to be given citizenship,so he can become their Prime Minister, senior politicians there are now backing the plan to make him an international envoy for the war.”

That sounds a great idea!
The Ukrainians and Americans have no say in who should be our PM in UK, but if they want to offer BoJo a job, I’ll wish him luck as I wave him goodbye!

Exciting news! - Will there be a by-election coming up in Uxbridge soon?! :grinning:

1 Like

He hasn’t finished his job here yet…

Bring back Boris… :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

Writing in The Times, he said Ms Truss was “authentic” and had the experience to address the country’s challenges.

Mr Wallace’s article marks his first major intervention in favour of any candidate since the race got under way earlier this month.

He said he had sat with Ms Truss, the current foreign secretary, in “cabinet, bilateral meetings and international summits”.

He said she might not be a “slick salesperson”, but she “stands her ground” and “is straight and means what she says”. (1)

The defence secretary told BBC Breakfast Ms Truss’s commitment to increase defence spending to 3% of GDP by 2030 was one of the reasons for his endorsement. (2)

(1) There must be a side to Truss that the casual observer, like myself, has not seen … :icon_rolleyes:

(2) That’s understandable … :icon_wink:

Writing in The Times, he said Ms Truss’s international experience also persuaded him to endorse her.

Ms Truss and former chancellor Rishi Sunak are the final candidates in the contest to replace Boris Johnson.

Mr Tugendhat’s endorsement of Ms Truss, who is now seen as the frontrunner in the contest, follows that of Defence Secretary Ben Wallace on Thursday.

Mr Tugendhat, the chair of the foreign affairs select committee, said he had spent time listening to the candidates’ arguments and it was Ms Truss who “convinced” him she was ready to become prime minister.

He wrote: “From China to Ukraine, the world around us is getting more challenging and the cost of failure abroad is being felt hard at home. Rising fuel prices, pushing families across our country into difficulty, are bringing the pain home. We know we need answers - now. That’s where allies come in. As foreign secretary, Liz is starting with a huge advantage. She can make our voice count.”

Mr Tugendhat, a senior figure in the One Nation group of centrist Tory MPs, said Ms Truss has “support from across the party, and the country. We need a leader to unite the Conservative Party. It’s clear that Liz can do that.”

BIg Tick from Tugendhat … :heavy_check_mark:

A Nod from Nadhim … :047:

Mmmmm, methinks they all think she’s got it in the bag and are after cabinet jobs……

2 Likes

You could be right:

Gosh, that is a surprise.
If even Sunak’s mate, Javid, is now rejecting him it sounds like the game is well and truly over for Rishi now.

2 Likes

I still believe there are a few surprises to come…I want to know why everyone is supporting Truss when she has made it perfectly clear she is incapable and doesn’t know what she is doing. Somethings afoot :thinking:

1 Like

Hi

I think they are positioning themselves for the next Leadership Election.

It is due in January 2025, not that long away.

She has to win it or she will be out.

She can still do a tremendous amount of damage in that time.

2 Likes

Well lets hope there is a GE before then. I think upcoming events (winter fuel crisis, for example) will see that there is…

1 Like

That woman really ought to keep her mouth shut.

1 Like

For an inexplicable reason, Truss is the Tory Party shoe-in - there has to be a conspiracy … :047:

1 Like

During a Tory hustings in Cardiff, Ms Truss said: “The fact is there are too many people in this country who are ashamed of our history, who talk our country down, who say the best days are behind us. They are completely wrong. I’m afraid one of them is Mark Drakeford.”

She vowed to “crack down on his negativity about Wales and about the United Kingdom” as Prime Minister, adding of the Labour politician: “With delivering for people on the ground, with making a real difference to people’s lives, we will be able to take on the plastic patriot Sir Keir Starmer and we’ll be able to take on the low energy version of Jeremy Corbyn that is Mark Drakeford.”

A video of the appalling Truss, addressing “my friends” is available here:

If she was any more wooden then she’d be a plank … :roll_eyes:

1 Like

She is appalling :scream: In another thread, it was mentioned she is coming up to Scotland this month. After her comments regarding our First Minister, I can’t say she will be welcomed at ALL! And now she is having a pop at Mark Drakeford…what the heck?

1 Like

The Bank’s gloomy forecast of a recession this year loomed large in the TV special, hosted by Sky News. It earlier raised interest rates to the highest level in almost three decades, from 1.25% to 1.75%, in an attempt to push back skyrocketing prices.

The inflation rate is forecast to hit a 42-year high of 13% this year, while the UK economy is expected to shrink for more than a year. The Bank said main reason for high inflation and low growth is rising energy bills, driven by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

The worsening state of the UK economy has dominated the Tory leadership campaign, with both candidates putting forward rival visions to deal with the fallout.

Mr Sunak, who has trailed Ms Truss in recent polls, has repeatedly said he would prioritise bringing inflation down before cutting taxes, if he became prime minister.

Meanwhile, Ms Truss has pledged a package of tax cuts worth £30bn soon after she enters office, which Mr Sunak has argued would increase inflation and the cost of borrowing.

So, how is injecting £30,000,000,000 into the consumer economy NOT going to fuel inflation … :017:

1 Like