Conservative Party Leadership Contest 2022

I honestly can’t see the point in this post.

Tory MPs voted, in Parliament, against their leader’s policies:

Premiership of Theresa May - Wikipedia.

Early in 2019, Parliament voted against ratifying the withdrawal agreement three times, the first time by a margin of 230 votes, the worst defeat for any government in modern Parliamentary history. The date of Brexit was delayed to 31 October 2019. The Cooper–Letwin Act was passed against the government’s opposition. European elections were held on 23 May 2019, at which the Conservatives came fifth with 9% of the vote, and the next day May announced her resignation. She resigned on 24 July 2019, after Boris Johnson won the Conservative Party leadership election on 23 July.

Parliamentary votes on the withdrawal agreement

On 15 January 2019, May’s government was defeated in the House of Commons by a margin of 230 votes (202 in favour and 432 opposed) in the first ‘meaningful vote’ on her deal to leave the EU. It was the largest majority against a United Kingdom government in history. On 16 January, Parliament as a whole held a vote of no confidence in May and her government, which Jeremy Corbyn called a “zombie” government. It was the second no-confidence motion since 1925 after the 1979 vote against James Callaghan. The motion fell in May’s favour by 19 votes (325 to 306).

On 14 February the same year, May suffered another Commons defeat after MPs voted by 303 to 258 – a majority of 45 – against a motion endorsing the government’s Brexit negotiating strategy.

May concentrated on convincing MPs to agree to leave the EU with her Brexit deal on the agreed date of 29 March 2019, despite some Conservative backbenchers proposing a two-month postponement. She was also vocally opposed to a second referendum on Brexit. On 24 February, May delayed the second ‘meaningful’ vote on the final Brexit deal until 12 March, a fortnight before the 29 March date. She faced further calls for her resignation. On 26 February, she said that she wanted to avoid a possible extension to the Article 50 period. She also spoke of the fact that she hoped MPs would get to vote on a “short, limited” delay to Brexit if they reject her deal and a no-deal exit from the EU.

On 28 February, the minister of state for agriculture, fisheries and food, George Eustice, resigned from May’s government over her promise to allow MPs a vote on delaying Brexit if her Brexit deal were to be rejected. In his resignation letter, Eustice said “I fear that developments this week will lead to a sequence of events culminating in the EU dictating the terms of any extension requested and the final humiliation of our country.”

On 12 March, May was again defeated in the House of Commons, on the second ‘meaningful vote’, this time by 149 votes (242 in favour and 391 against), on her latest Brexit deal after she secured last-minute concessions from the EU.

In an hour of testy exchanges covering economic policy, China and even earrings - what were the standout moments?

Were they nice to each other?

The short answer is no (even if they sometimes pretended).

Within minutes, the two candidates were at loggerheads - and once again it got very heated, with multiple interruptions.

The battle over the economy and tax

With inflation at a 40-year high, economic policy has become the main battleground in this increasingly fractious leadership contest.

Taking a combative tone, Mr Sunak and Ms Truss attacked each other’s tax plans, producing some of the most explosive moments of the debate.

Clamping down on China - and TikTok

A big debate on foreign policy has been on the UK’s relationship with China. Mr Sunak and Ms Truss have been warning about the threat from the state. But they’ve also been clashing on who came to that conclusion first.

It got heated here, too.

Brexit rhetoric returns

Mr Sunak backed Brexit. Ms Truss backed remain, but has since become an enthusiastic supporter of life outside the EU.

The spectre of Boris Johnson

Speak to Tory MPs and many will admit their constituents aren’t happy Mr Johnson is standing down.

The spectre of the cabinet mutiny that brought the prime minister down is going to be a feature of the next few weeks.

:bookmark_tabs:

1 Like

Just like in the American presidential elections…
What happened to British politics? It’s not like the public have any say in who will be the next PM, so why televise it? Probably to keep up the pretense that it’s not a foregone conclusion.

You do realise that it was all scripted, they are best buddies really and so they they should be, they both belong to the WEF and it’s them who (along with Tony Blair) are pulling the strings. Anyone who doesn’t tow the line either gets bombed or accused of war crimes by all the rest of the countries who are under their control. Perhaps Putin tumbled on to their little game of world domination and decided to stand up against them, and we all know what the world thinks of him.

And why are we getting snotty with the Chinese? They supply us with just about everything that makes this life bearable. Imagine what would happen if they refused to trade with the UK, it would probably shut the country down.

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoyed the little debate, I think they are doing ‘Porgy and Bess’ next week…

Have you been watching Neil Oliver, on Youtube, Foxy? :smiley:

Not recently Pixie, but that bloke speaks loads of common sense, he should be running the country.

2 Likes

I found myself nodding along to much of what he says too. Anyway, lets not digress any more than we have! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi

I didn’t watch it.

No personal knowledge of either however the lads and lasses in the know say they can’t stand each other and the dirt is flying.

Truss IS a bad actor but, nevertheless, your insight astounds me … :astonished:

1 Like

Just the way I see things Omah, sorry for astounding you…
It’s perhaps it’s a good job it will just gurgle down the plughole of cyberspace…
:blush:

Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss opened their debate side by side with two forced smiles to the audience, the scene as ritualistic as a duel, as random a fight to the death as Squid Game. Only the hostility felt real, and boy, was it. It seems like only a week ago that wise heads were explaining why all the popular candidates had been eliminated; to avoid this very scene, where the party of government attacks itself relentlessly for its woeful record in government.

They tore each other apart on levelling up, on attitudes to China, on economic competence, on the cost of living, on their backgrounds, on Brexit. Each could barely get to the end of a sentence on their record or plans before the other tore it to shreds, with a chaser of 17 examples in the recent past of their saying the exact opposite.

It was in many ways an extraordinary performance, in which Sunak seemed genuinely riled and Truss showed an uncharacteristic boxer’s agility, but it was destructive and unrestrained, with no sense of anything worthwhile or worth preserving at the centre of it. Solomon himself could have stepped in and offered to cut the Conservative party in half and give them a piece each, and they both would have asked for the big half.

BIB made me laugh … :laughing:

1 Like

What goes online stays online. You are writing history that future generations will read. :smiley:

3 Likes

Good point … :+1:

That’s why misinformation (see Trump) is so dangerous … :scream:

1 Like

Where were the mentions of:
Levelling up?
More housing?
Better education?
Illegal immigrants?

Why was Sophie allowed (as moderator) to take Liz to task about her cheap earrings and Rishi about his expensive suit and shoes?
Why did the 2 faces from the Beeb sit there like Waldorf and Statler from the Muppet Show throwing in the odd sarcastic comment and question?
Why was the scenery moving like it was a reject from Crossroads?

2 Likes

Less than 24 hours after last night’s BBC debate, Liz Truss and Rishi Sunak will meet again today for a discussion hosted by The Sun and TalkTV, set to air from 18:00.

TalkTV’s political editor Kate McCann will be hosting the debate - presumably solo, after her co-host, the Sun’s political editor Harry Cole, announced he had tested positive for Covid.

Speaking ahead of the debate, McCann said: “Sunak’s chances to change people’s minds and to convince them that he’s the right man for the job are dwindling.”

Fight! Fight!
:075:

I wasn’t going to watch this debate but after reading that, I feel I must! :rofl:

Anybody watching the debate on TalkTV think something awful has happened. All of a sudden there was a smash and the presenter went quiet, Liz Truss face was shocked and think she said omg and walked towards the presenter, it’s gone off air now.

The Tory leadership debate on TalkTV is cancelled after presenter Kate McCann faints and collapses live on air

Debate called off

Well, I’m gobsmacked … :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Before it was halted, the latest televised debate between the two candidates had been covering tax, the state of the NHS and rising living costs.

They had been about to begin a section on the UK’s support for Ukraine when the debate went off air.

The differences on the economy and taxation were still clear though, with both labelling the other’s strategy “morally wrong”.

Questions from Sun readers also took the debate further into policy areas they hadn’t debated as much before, such as the NHS and fracking.

Both candidates also said they would support fracking for energy domestically if local communities supported it.

BIB Well, my community doesn’t.

Rishi’s Community definitely doesn’t! - if he did become PM and does support fracking, he would get lots of local opposition in his own constituency!
We had loads of protests against it a few years ago, both in the areas where fracking was due to start and mass protests outside our Council Offices and we saw off an attempt to start fracking next to a small rural village.
Unfortunately, our local council rejected calls for a total ban on fracking earlier this year. However, they did vote for measures which stops fracking around the edges of National Parkland and protected areas plus widened the permitted distance from homes and restricted the density of wellpads, so if the Govt lift the moratorium, at least the area is a bit better protected than it was.
They also widened the definition of “fracking” based on the fracturing of rock under hydraulic pressure, regardless of the volume of fracture fluid, instead of the Govt’s definition which allows a loophole.

1 Like