Conservative Party Leadership Contest 2022

Hi

The £30 Billion in cuts is not being injected into the UK Economy.

A large % of this money is Corporation Tax, and with much of the UK Economy being foreign owned we are merely exporting this money to other Countries.

1 Like

AFAIK, Corporation Tax is not on the list of cuts - Truss is just committed to ditching the scheduled corporation tax hike from 19 per cent to 25 per cent next year - I have no idea how much that will “save” and I’m sure that Truss has no idea, either, but. being a BJ emulator, she will be able to pluck a very impressive figure from thin air … :grinning:

I found this article helpful with regard to the cuts:

The Institute for Fiscal Studies (IFS) said: “Both Mr Sunak’s and Ms Truss’s tax cuts would primarily benefit higher-income households, though still leaving the overall policy package a progressive one when combined with reforms to date.”

The think tank also said that large cuts to taxation would ultimately mean cuts to public services.

“[The key point] neither candidate seems willing to spell out is that, ultimately, lower taxes mean lower spending.”

Hi

Key point, a commitment to stop an increase in tax is exactly the same as cutting taxes.

It has the same effect, a cut in Public Services.

That’s what a politician would argue … :man_shrugging:

Hi

How do you work that one out?

It is simple Maths.

I like discussion on things people disagree on.

All good fun and I learn a lot and often change my mind.

Since when did this Forum become an Anti Tory Dictatorship?

I am left of Centre, but not stupid.

Some Tories have some very good ideas.

“Truss has promised to reverse the national insurance hike, cancel planned corporation tax rises, and suspend the green levy on energy bills to help with the rising cost of living.”

Something that does not yet exist cannot be “cut” - such an assertion, IMO, is just smoke and mirrors.

Hi

Fine, I will remind you of that in future.

I am not fixated on which Political Party is entirely to blame.

I am more fixated on both of them working together to make the lives of UK Residents better.

That is what happens in other Countries who are racing ahead of us, with the standard of living getting better, not worse.

The us and them Scargill mentality is what caused all the problems.

You were obviously not in the middle of it, I was.

I had a seriously disabled younger brother in a wheelchair, we had no money at all, and yet his supporters decided to abuse my Mum when she was wheeling him to a 20 mile, 3 bus trip to hospital when she had other kids to look after, because she could not put any money into the bucket.

Did me and my family respond, oh yes, and very proud to do so.

1 Like

Oooerr! :scream: This won’t go down well…

1 Like

Perhaps he has been ‘misrepresented’ … :037:

1 Like

Good, she also wants to rid the country of all the stupid solar panels that are taking up farmland instead of growing crops on it. I’d vote for her just on those two points…
:+1:

Hi

Solar Panels produce more profit than growing vegetables.

A simple fact of life, people want cheap electricity more than cheap veg.

1 Like

I think Rishi Sunak’s comments have been misrepresented.
There’s plenty of rural areas up and down the country that often get forgotten when it comes to funding,

As Richard Holden, the MP for North West Durham said:

“What I want to see is levelling up across the whole country, not just concentrated in urban areas. And that’s what Rishi’s vision for the country is, that wherever you are, you need the same opportunity to succeed, not just in those urban areas.”

I’d vote for that :heavy_check_mark:

It doesn’t have to be “either / or”

What about agrivoltaics?
Growing crops beneath solar panels is a growing practice.

And you can use a field of solar panels for sheep grazing land.

Farmers have to make the most of all resources nowadays

So it’s alright to ship food half way across the world instead of trying to be self sufficient and providing jobs for the locals.
And solar panels are not suited to the English weather. Winters only have minimal light just when we need the power most.
Even in summer when the sun is shining all day and the days are longer, they only contribute 4% of the needs…Combined Cycle Gas Turbines have been producing the lions share of our electricity all year. And biomass powered Drax has been chipping in (pun intended :blush:)…And Drax is due to revert to coal because we are having difficulty getting biomass shipped from Canada…And might I remind people that Drax is sat on one of the largest coal fields in Europe…
This is where your electricity came from today…

Power Generation Today

The bottom pic in my last post of sheep grazing in a field of solar panels is in UK - at Castle Hill, Hull, to be precise.

The solar panels provide energy to the local hospital - they need to keep the grass trimmed and it provides grazing land for a local farmer.
Win - Win! :wink:

I was impressed with the way they can still make use of the land while installing panels Boot… :+1:
However, solar panels in England are not efficient, and they don’t supply much power to Hull Infirmary. And even if they did it would be only spasmodic and not to be relied upon.
To install enough panels to make them even slightly useful to the national grid, how much land would they need to cover?

Yeah, I know the solar panels don’t provide the total energy needed for the hospital all year round but, during the Summer months, they provide enough energy to cover the daytime demand, which saves the Hospital about £250,000 per month in energy bills - every little helps!
At that rate, the £4 million cost of installation should be recouped in a few years, especially now that electricity costs are increasing so much.

At the beginning of July, it was estimated about 26MWh per day was being generated, the equivalent to the average daily energy needs of 3,250 UK households.

A drop in the ocean Boot…One coal fired power station like Thorpe Marsh near where I live (now demolished) produced 1 gW plus two 28mW auxiliary gas turbines and covered a fraction of the land that equivalent solar panels and wind turbines would occupy.
Drax (still operational) produces almost 4 gW…You would have to fill Yorkshire with turbines and panels to get anywhere near…

@Omah , " something that does not exist cannot be a cut"
Obviously that is true, it is only a broken promise,(orthreat?) as the
case may be ??

1 Like