Confusing Times

You are right seems the rich won’t pay it ,you have done well but not everyone can or wants to do that .
Imagine a couple of unmarried sisters living in a bourse that is there only asset .
If it is in a affluent area the surviving one may have to sell her home in order to pay the IHT

Assman There is NO death duty here no matter what amount.

Don’t we need doctors, engineers, etc?

Of course we do Annie and we want to best for our childr

I don’t know what world you are living in Donkeyman my DIL is a university lecturer in nursing and midwifery and most of her students are young British men and women .

Most people don’t want their bright children to face a lifetime of driving a Tesco truck for low pay and conditions and a mind numbing solitary employment . There are plenty of people who can’t go to university we don’t have a shortage of drivers they are out there they just don’t want to work for peanuts in an unrewarding job .My brother who is not yet retired has worked for years as an HGV driver and he no longer does so .he is tired . Tired of long boring hours , low pay and being tried as a second class person . HGV drivers often get abused when trying to deliver it’s a tricky job manoverning a huge lorry on today’s crowded roads and finding somewhere to park them when they need to stop .
Employers don’t treat drivers with any respect and it’s not a healthy job sitting for long periods of time .
It’s not something most people want for their children .

Wrong there most certainly is the amount is £325k and that is your entire estate .
Unless you don’t own a property or it’s in the outer Hebrides you will be liable for IHT .
So the house people have struggled to pay for all of their working life with money they have paid tax on will be doubled taxed over that amount and it’s heavy straight in at 40 % .
Of course you can live in the outer Hebrides but it’s not a centre of employment people have to live where they can work and houses are more expensive in places of work .
As Swims pointed out rich people do not pay it ( laughably the Queen one of the richest people in the world does is exempt - her gardener is not ) nor does it hurt those who have nothing it it is a tax that unfairly targets those who have worked and got something and hoped to pass it on to their descendants . It is a tax on aspersions .

My last job was as a delivery driver all over the Borders of Scotland doing about 1200 miles a week and I loved it. Absolutely it is a very solitary job but as a loner it did not bother me.
Far too man people go to university these days, get degrees in some obscure subject which is of no use in the real world.

How many do you know personally?
Driving around the borders does sound pleasant driving around inter cities in an HGV not so much.

The only requirement to work for ASIO is a degree, doesn’t matter what in. Having a degree shows an ability to think logically apparently.

In Australia the cost of a degree varies, an Arts degree costs a lot more than a science or engineering degree, I forget when they did this but I think was the Abbott government.

What is ASIO Bruce ?

It does in England .Oldies are not suposed to use a bus pass before 9.30

I think it might be, ASIO brings together professionals from a wide range of disciplines who work together to protect Australians from terrorism, espionage and other serious threats.

To give it the full name, I believe ASIO stands for Australian Security Intelligence Organisation.
:grinning:

1 Like

@ Muddy, Who are the plenty of people that “can’t” go to university ?
Doesn’t everybody qualify for a student loan, and if not,why don’t they qualify??
We agree that drivers pay and conditions are crap?
Why is this? The obvious solution if we really value their services is to raise
their wages untill they are happy in their work ??
But no, government chose to let thousands of non citizens to enter the UK
and undercut our native driving fraternity to save a few Bob ??
This situation is now resolving itself as we are seeing ! And wages are rising
rapidly, and government is reinstituting driver (training and testing (so they
say?)
I stand by my assessment that UK is over stocked with intellectual and
administrative "workers, and this is what drives most of the disruptions we
are seeing on a daily basis ?
Even Dumbo Boris is saying this now !!
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:

Thank you

You do have to have some academic qualifications to go to university usually three A levels depending on what you want to study and what the university asks for .

:023: You are welcome.

:grinning:

@Brucy, Seems your government believes Ozzie needs artists ??
You will probably find the criteria change when they find they haven’t got
enough sewage or street cleaners etc ??
Donkeyman!! :+1::thinking::+1:

@Muddy , Ah! So what happens to those who don’t make it to uni if all
their jobs are taken by low cost immigrants ??
Do they have to go on universal credit ??
The system is crap !!
We deserve all the shyte we get imo
Donkeyman! :-1::frowning::-1:

DM, there are crap situations but, people want instant solutions to problems that have been decades in the making, that ain’t gonna happen. :biking_man: