Confusing Times

Don’t understand, if folks are willing to fill an auditorium or cinema or similar, why would same folks refuse to mix in the workplace, and still insist on working from home or, are there different degrees of perception and, insistent home workers would not frequent the Flicks in the first place.
Any explanation welcome. :biking_man:

The entire world has gone mad!

1 Like

Thanks Tabs, that is one suspicion. :biking_man:

Because some people are just selfish and want everything their own way, is my opinion. :woman_shrugging:

I think it’s possible that a lot of people feel safer working from home and don’t want to risk public transport and that these people don’t go to the cinema or go out socially a lot either. A lot of people still feel scared and vulnerable

Of course there will be a few who prefer to work at home and will use the virus as an excuse to so, while going out socially to crowded venues. Their issue is preferring the lifestyle of working from home, not fear of the virus

But the people you see out in crowded restaurants, cinemas and other venues aren’t necessarily the same people who don’t want to go back to the office

It’s understandable that some people, especially those who feel vulnerable for one reason or another, feel fearful and want to protect themselves

2 Likes

I have only one thought …work-shy! I suspect many have become so comfortable ‘working’ from home, they now cannot face having to actually go into a working environment where any slacking will be seen and noted.
This is easy for me to say as I’ve been retired for 18+yrs and having never worked from home, have no idea what’s its like or how industrious home workers have been.

Exactly this Maree. Some people go to cinemas, theatres, etc, others (like me) wouldn’t dream of taking the risk. They’re not the same groups of people. There’s your simple explanation @spitfire

Its impossible to generalize, but, during the last two summers, many phone calls were made by a neighbour, from the Sun Lounger.
When say a musical group can go on stage and entertain a crowd of say 50,000 but, after the concert aren’t allowed to enter a Radio Station for an interview, with say 5 people in close proximity, how does that work.
Non comprende! :biking_man:

1 Like

It’s because people want to go to an auditorium or cinema but don’t want to go to work.

1 Like

Thanks Bathsheba and mart, I think I’m starting to understand.

I agree with comment.

1 Like

There was an interesting statistic on the news this evening. Public transport use has declined 85% compared to pre-pandemic levels. That is incredible!

2 Likes

I think Covid and lockdown just speeded up a move towards people working from home or working some time in the office, sometime at home
Technology meant it was always going to happen eventually

It has benefits for the employer because they have to pay out less for office space, health and safety, providing facilities etc. Plus they can employ people from all over the country/world, they don’t have to be people living within commuting distance of the office and there’s less travel costs

It’s good for the environment because of less travel.

And it benefits the employee in terms of balanced lifestyle and less travelling.

It’s easy enough for the employer to monitor how much work is being done and the reports suggest a lot of employees are more productive at home

Of course not all jobs are suitable but I do think it’s the way of the future

People shouldn’t use Covid as an excuse not to go back if they’re not genuinely fearful but I can’t see why they shouldn’t try to negotiate with their employer to work from home at least part of the time if it’s mutually beneficial

1 Like

From what I’ve seen from a bus aspect, most of the passengers are like me ‘twirlies’ waiting for the 9:30 bus(s) to arrive so our senior citizen’s concessionary bus pass will be accepted. We are labelled twirlies (too early) because before all the buses had time stamped paper tickets, some drivers would allow bus pass holders to enter the bus before the 9:30 allowed time. Drivers cannot get away with this now as the RFID imbedded pass is recognised by the ticket machine and rejected until the correct time has been reached.

Hmmmm :thinking: why employ someone from London when you can get them cheaper elsewhere in the world to do the same job…just a thought of what might happen further down the line. :astonished:

3 Likes

Yes, it could lead to job losses in the cities and countries where salaries and employment conditions are better. That’s already happened with Call Centres, hasn’t it? It’s cheaper for U.K. companies to provide them abroad, even if the service is poor

But if companies can increase their profits and cut costs by having people working from home, then they will You couldn’t legislate to tell them they’re not allowed to, really

And it would open up jobs to people in the U.K. as well, especially those in areas of high unemployment or deprivation

And it might end the curse of young people having to leave their home towns to find work, leaving deprived ghost towns behind them If they are able to stay where they are and spend their earnings locally, buy property there where it is cheaper, it might bring a lot of benefits to the area

2 Likes

Completely agree, that some sort of catastrophe usually catapults a slowly developing situation forward, but, with the virus still sitting on the back burner, and furlough finishing on Thursday, its time to de-confuse the situation, and sort out what is what, and for what reason.

3 Likes

@Maree , Can you tell me what the product is that these home workers
actually produce ??
What is it that the employers of the homeworkers use to gain benefit from ??
Has the myth that everyone has to work to exist finally been exposed ??
Why should a certain proportion of extremely fortunate people that were born
into money be the only ones to do nowt all day??
Surely that’s not fair !! :weary::weary::weary:. PS. Only partly joking !!
Donkeyman! :grin::grin:

@PixieKnuckles , apparently the reason for higher wages in London is to
enable the " workers" to be able to afford to stay in London ??
Does that mean that the wages will now drop and London will now become
a “ghost” town ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

1 Like

Don[quote=“Donkeyman, post:18, topic:85410, full:true”]
@Maree , Can you tell me what the product is that these home workers
actually produce ??
What is it that the employers of the homeworkers use to gain benefit from ??
Has the myth that everyone has to work to exist finally been exposed ??
Why should a certain proportion of extremely fortunate people that were born
into money be the only ones to do nowt all day??
Surely that’s not fair !! :weary::weary::weary:. PS. Only partly joking !!
Donkeyman!
[/quote]

Ooh, you are demanding, I’m a lightweight, you know! :rofl::rofl:

I suppose homeworkers are producing whatever product they produce when they go to the office? Admin, sales, design, whatever service their employer makes a profit from, or provides, in the case of government offices

The employer gains whatever profit they usually gain from what their business provides or continues to provide a service, without having to fork out for office space

Not everyone has to work, (especially not me!) and not everybody does, just enough people put in enough hours to keep our society going The trouble is, the distribution of who does all the work and the rewards they get for it isn’t fairly allocated

Which brings me neatly to you final point!

Why should fortunate people born into wealth get away with doing nowt?

Well that’s the life, while us mugs let them, they will but of course it’s not fair

To the barricades!

(PS only partly joking!!!)

1 Like