Climate change - National Geographic

We are not that far apart on some things Lincs,

I agree with most of that except perhaps the oil thing. Did you know it takes about 60 litres of oil to lubricate a wind turbine, and many of the things used to make it, and solar panels are derived from oil.
Here is a list of stuff derived from oil…

Solvents Diesel fuel Motor Oil Bearing Grease
Ink Floor Wax Ballpoint Pens Football Cleats
Upholstery Sweaters (that explains the itchy sweater I have at home) Boats Insecticides
Bicycle Tires Sports Car Bodies Nail Polish Fishing lures
Dresses Tires Golf Bags Perfumes
Cassettes Dishwasher parts Tool Boxes Shoe Polish
Motorcycle Helmet Caulking Petroleum Jelly Transparent Tape
CD Player (do people still have these?) Faucet Washers Antiseptics Clothesline
Curtains Food Preservatives Basketballs Soap (that explains why soap doesn’t clean oil off your hands)
Vitamin Capsules Antihistamines Purses Shoes
Dashboards Cortisone Deodorant Footballs
Putty Dyes Panty Hose Refrigerant
Percolators Life Jackets Rubbing Alcohol Linings
Skis TV Cabinets Shag Rugs Electrician’s Tape
Tool Racks Car Battery Cases Epoxy Paint
Mops Slacks Insect Repellent Oil Filters
Umbrellas Yarn Fertilizers Hair Coloring
Roofing Toilet Seats Fishing Rods Lipstick
Denture Adhesive Linoleum Ice Cube Trays Synthetic Rubber
Speakers Plastic Wood Electric Blankets Glycerin
Tennis Rackets Rubber Cement Fishing Boots Dice
Nylon Rope Candles Trash Bags House Paint
Water Pipes Hand Lotion Roller Skates Surf Boards
Shampoo Wheels Paint Rollers Shower Curtains
Guitar Strings Luggage Aspirin Safety Glasses
Antifreeze Football Helmets Awnings Eyeglasses (I thought they were made from glass)
Clothes Toothbrushes Ice Chests Footballs
Combs CD’s & DVD’s Paint Brushes Detergents
Vaporizers Balloons Sun Glasses Tents
Heart Valves Crayons Parachutes Telephones
Enamel Pillows Dishes Cameras
Anesthetics Artificial Turf Artificial limbs Bandages
Dentures Model Cars Folding Doors Hair Curlers
Cold cream Movie film Soft Contact lenses Drinking Cups
Fan Belts Car Enamel Shaving Cream Ammonia
Refrigerators Golf Balls Toothpaste (Yuck) Gasoline

I agree that habits are going to have to change but not because of anything to do with climate, but because we all have to live here.

Poor Foxy. :woman_shrugging:

Sanbao, a same town in China reached temperatures of 52 degrees - 126 F

Death Valley California - 54 degrees Celsius

Apparently this week is the hottest weather in ‘recorded’ history.

Watching now Earth with Chris Packham on BBC2
All about earth warming and evolution .
Fascinating stuff.

This is the man who walks in the footsteps of Attenborough .

And has attracted a few quid on the way.

1 Like

What’s wrong with that ?

You tell me, does it sit comfortably?

To make a career out of a failing eco system.

He just doesn’t do that he’s a naturalist ,makes programmes on nature etc .
He is a conservationist and writes books .

1 Like

The clue is in ‘recorded history’ Chelsea…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

It’s all getting a bit tedious now Muddy. Everywhere you look you are bombarded with climate change propaganda as if we mere mortals can do anything about it. And in the remote possibility that mankind could. Why don’t they preach to the people that can perhaps make a difference. They are too busy living in mansions, flying off around the world in private jets, and making lots and lots of money while folks can’t pay their energy bills and soon won’t be allowed to drive into town without coughing up some more money to pay for the fuel for all those private jets. And it’s not just private jets either is it…?
Flight Radar
Just Wow! And Mrs Fox is expected to turn the temperature of her washing machine down to save energy…And add a load of chemicals to the wash to kill the bugs that hot water could have done…It’s all bollocks!

It must be such a relief to live with the blinders you have on Foxy. A relief but a very deluded one at that. You are just refusing to open your eyes, look around and connect the dots. I suppose for some it’s far too scary for them to handle.
Of course the world may have been warmer when there were dinosaurs living on it :sauropod: :t_rex:

Half our worlds dying species isn’t propaganda. They really ARE dying and the MAIN reason is the greed and selfishness of humanity.

What’s the air like on that high moral ground you seem to love Chelsea?
:sunglasses:

Now then…here we go…Lumping several things together all under the banner of ‘Climate Change’
Because I don’t agree with some peoples reasons why they think we had a few nice days this July (although when I go out for my morning walk it doesn’t seem to have permeated as far as England yet) you have to throw in extinction, pollution and rubbish disposal…Nothing to do with the Climate, which I should remind you, is calculated over at least a hundred years and possibly even a thousand and not just a few hot days in July. What you describe is weather!
I quite agree with you about extinction, pollution and rubbish disposal. The human race can be a set of dirty buggers at times. However, I don’t live in Africa, Asia, or South America, so I do what I can in South Yorkshire and let the rest of the world sort itself out.

The list is of course much, much longer than the one you shared. The issue created by oil is not its many uses (couple of exceptions - see below) but the burning of oil and its derivatives as fuel. Your list makes it seem that people want to ban ballpoint pens or lubricants. That is not what the debate around oil is about. Its about pollution from burning oil / petrol / diesel.
Exceptions to oil derived products - there does seem to be a problem building from micro-plastics. The worst offenders here seem to be non-woven fabrics made from oil derived substances (thermal fleeces). But other plastic products appear to eventually break down into very tiny particles of plastic which then make their way into the digestive tracts and even bloodstreams of all animals. It looks likely that this will become a major health issue - but it is not a climate change issue as far as I know.
But in summary - why are you worried about grease, toothbrushes and TV cabinets?

But I thought the just stop oil protesters wanted to stop drilling for oil regardless of it’s many derivatives Lincs?
And isn’t pollution by plastics a separate issue? Of which I agree is a serious problem to our marine life, but I can’t imagine a world without plastic now we have got to rely on it so much.
But we digress…So how do we stop the climate from warming? The burning of fossil fuel to make solar panels, wind turbines, and re-manufacture electric vehicles is essential in their production (when there were already billions of diesel and petrol engined vehicles that will now be scrapped).
Not to mention the damage to the environment with the mining of Cobalt and Lithium…
Have we not exchanged one form of transport and energy production for another equally polluting and damaging to the environment?
It has been suggested that wind turbines take between 4 - 6 years to just offset the materials, energy and pollution created when building a new turbine, and there does seem to be some controversy about disposing of the blades. They only last about 4 - 6 years apparently…
There’s no such thing as ‘A free lunch’ Lincs…Nothing on this planet is ‘Sustainable’

Don’t ask me chief. I’m no expert.
But whilst it will be a royal pain and cost for me to switch to a electric vehicle I do get the need to stop making and eventually stop using internal combustion cars. And to switch from coal and then gas electricity generation to solar / wind / wave. And that countries that were early to industrialise and early to start pumping out pollution should then be the early adopters of non-polluting things where possible. (I’m not saying countries like China should be given a free pass to pollute for decades of course.)
I understood that wind turbine last a lot longer than 4-6 years. One wind farm built in the 90’s is only now being overhauled and given new blades. Plus your estimates for time to offset the materials, etc to build them surely applies to a new gas turbine driven plant as well.
I guess what is happening is not a switch to a perfect answer but a slow move towards increasingly less harmful answers. The old adage that best is the enemy of good appears to work well here.

1 Like

I wonder if the big Boys, like China, USA, India, etc., who I would guess to be the biggest suspects if Global warming being due to what we burn, is true, will change thier approach.

All we get, here, is a routine battering of the UK population, by the Global warming squad, when what really might be worth persuing is the big user groups.

Why don’t the demonstrators go off and do their stuff in China?

Why do I have to turn my gas tap down when my usage if miniscule compared to all those others?

I might change my mind if ever I’m invited to one of the Tropical Island meetings which they all attend.

1 Like