Climate change - National Geographic

Or the funding supplied by the big business created by the ‘planet friendly’ energy saving, EV’s and wind turbines companies…

Yes, alternative energies are becoming big business. The wind turbine market, globally, is now estimated at $13bn. Of course these are all dwarfed by the oil industry at $2 trillion. You are clutching at straws.

That’s because the oil business has been going a helluva lot longer and oil is indispensible. It still works when the sun doesn’t shine and the wind doesn’t blow.

The answer is Blowin in the Wind.

EV 3

Its helpful that you mention timings. Consider your claim that the businesses currently involved in more environmental stuff (EV, wind turbines, solar energy) are doing as much dodgy propaganda as the oil companies. And that CO2 and man driven climate change is just tosh and their propaganda. This would mean that these environmental businesses would have had to be funding such propaganda for decades. In fact, they would have had to be pumping out alarmist climate change bad news from before they or their technologies existed. That is clever. Or not very likely at all, on reflection, is it?

Actually not true Lincs, up until about 30 years ago nobody had heard of climate change in the context that it is used today. It was just ‘Weather’ back then. We seen to have created a new meaning for climate change since I left school. So what seems to have changed? The world and it’s weather that has been tumbling on for billions of years…Or the way we are being sold the new theories all conjured up by some dubious worst case scenarios manufactured by computer modelling… :009:
Computer modelling is only as good as the info put into it by a human…

Funnily enough all the answers are provided in the links shared in the opening post of this thread. As for the theories all being worst case scenarios - check out the shrinking glaciers, the melting ice cover and the average annual temperature rises. All worse than the models of only a few ago. So they turned out to be best case scenarios. However, for you, I think the phrase for all this is ‘an inconvenient truth’. So deny away.

I think we’ve already established that the climate is not static. So these things have never happened before Lincs?
And you must be reading the wrong material if you think the worse case scenario is happening… :017:
What happened to the computer modelling that forecast that we were entering a new Ice Age back in the seventies and eighties…

What happened to the Ozone Layer?

1 Like

The hole apparently healed up Spitty. Strange that the hole appeared in the southern hemisphere when all the pollution is in the northern hemisphere… :017:
And how long have we been able to monitor the ozone layer to compare progress with? Perhaps holes appear every thousand years or so.

We haven’t been using oil that long if you think about it. but I totally agree in terms of climate change EVs, solar etc are no better for the planet. “Net zero” is a joke too. It doesn’t help the eco system. I am far more worried about the animal kingdom than anything else. The climate change argument dwarfs the true problem we are facing. Extinction of species that enable the planet to live and thrive. Hopefully everyone here has seen “Bee movie”. A very powerful message put in simple form.

1 Like

Ermmmm? According to wiki…
600 B.C.

When Was Oil Discovered? The first oil had actually been discovered by the Chinese in 600 B.C. and transported in pipelines made from bamboo.

History of Oil - A Timeline of the Modern Oil Industry.

perhaps due to reduced use of CFCs?

Is the site of the hole isn’t relevant to ozone depletion in the atmosphere. the area where the hole was naturally had lower ozone so if the overall ozone in the atmosphere depletes the south pole area will face a greater proportion of the problem.

OGF, tut tut! I think you know I meant industrial use.

I doubt that very much Annie, if all the CFC’s in the 20th century were released into the atmosphere it would be like tipping a bottle of brandy into the sea at Ramsgate and assume that you would taste brandy in the sea at Cape Town…

The use of oil both commercially and domestically has been gradually increased as further uses and commodities have been realised from back in those early days Annie. Remember, we are comparing oil to the massive money making scam that net zero and climate change is. And the discovery of electricity and the introduction of Electric Vehicles.

do you have any science reports to back that up?

Again do you have any stats, scientific calculations to confirm this massive use of oil in previous centuries vs our use in the last 50 years say?

Do I actually need any Annie…? And, more from wiki…
Among the natural refrigerants (along with ammonia and carbon dioxide), hydrocarbons have negligible environmental impacts and are also used worldwide in domestic and commercial refrigeration applications, and are becoming available in new split system air conditioners.[

Along with Ammonia and Carbon Dioxide, hydrocarbons have negligible environmental impacts…