Climate Change is Caused By Humans, Says UN

I really cannot understand all this push for heat pumps, when most domestic houses are connected to the gas supply. Before natural gas, we all had hydrogen (coal gas) burning appliances and injector nipples/nozzles were changed to facilitate the burning of methane. To me, the most logical thing to do is use the electricity needed to drive heat pumps to split water into 2 parts hydrogen and I part oxygen by electrolysis. That hydrogen could supply existing appliances by implementing simple conversions.
But of course, there wont be the huge profits from heat pumps and that is not business like :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Even taking into account the £5K being offered as a grant towards the cost of installation wouldn’t make us have one installed because our condenser boiler is just 13 months old. In addition to all the pipework that needs burying under the garden (ours is big enough to accommodate this type of ground source heating), we would have to have a solar panel on the roof to heat the hot water (washing, showers, etc) and a hot water storage cylinder installed in our loft plus all the necessary pipework for these.

Having shelled out something approaching £20k on renovations so far, we’re not going to be spending any more on this bungalow for a couple more years at least.

Listening to the water companies in the UK and seeing the parched lands in California and Australia, there’s already a shortage of the wet stuff without increasing the demand for it, LD :rofl:

Good point Percy, how on earth is throwing out a perfectly good combo-boiler good for the environment, its also a complete waste of money and effort.

These new boilers are only affordable by wealthy people and if new homes are to be fitted with them its going to increase the price of a new house by about 20K to 30K.

It’s completely bonkers, especially when we only contribute 1% of global pollution. The government would be better off putting in modular nuclear reactors like France has done.

1 Like

What about all of the seas and oceans? With electrolysis plants close to coastal areas, the water will be readily available and once the hydrogen has been burnt in an oxygen atmosphere, water vapour is produced again to fall as rain right across the world as the winds carry the clouds. There is a great principal at work where our earth is concerned, it’s impossible to destroy matter, only change its state.
The Conservation of Matter During Physical and Chemical Changes | National Geographic Society

1 Like

I know that, I was being cynical that’s all.

1 Like

I admire Cynical people!

Here we are scrambling (to get enough Gas) to keep our houses warm and cosy for this winter, then, we’ll be flying off to holiday in expensive planes (subject to there being any planes available) that are comfortably warmer than here…I don’t think the Global warming sellers are likely to get a huge following out of our sort!

Unless there’s a profit to be made!

My favorite comedian. All he does is tell the truth in a humorous way. One of my favorite bits.

Sounds like Boris is guaranteeing that the wind will blow in
ten years time??
Maybe he can do that ?
But only as far as parliament is concerned ??
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Why, oh, why are we always getting the blame for climate change? If every human being alive today dropped down dead, right at this minute, I suggest there would be no change in climate conditions in the foreseeable future. This is simply because of all the greenhouse gasses, etc being expelled from all of the active volcanoes currently spewing forth sulfur dioxide by the boatload.

1 Like

Because inflicting communism on animals is a waste of time.

1 Like

That’s a big "Well duh!!! :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

1 Like

Strange isn’t it how the issue of carbon emissions and climate change has hit the headlines. Of course it is a load of old bo**ocks and a huge con so big companies IE car manufactures can sell more products. It is a case of tell everyone long enough and as often as possible and people start believing Well here is one that is not falling for this huge con trick.

I am old enough to remember the days of smog when the air was so thick with the stuff you could not see 5 yards ahead. This was far far worse than this con everyone is talking about. What happened the smog issue went away all by itself just as this will.
Somewhere someone is making a huge profit from this propaganda and no doubt the politicians are getting a huge cash payout to promote.

Look at all the other government promoted scares in the past- mad cow- bird flu to name but two. No don’t get conned and believe all you read encouraged by the media.

1 Like

Errr…not quite…

2 Likes

I too am old enough, but the choking London smog (thick green pea soupers) did not disappear as if my magic. The Clean Air Act of 1956 came into force and that act has been added to/amended over the years.
Clean Air Act 1956: Landmark Air Quality Legislation - EMSmastery

1 Like

:+1:

:+1:

It was horrific:

Health Effects of the Great Smog

The Great Smog of 1952 was much more than a nuisance. It was lethal, particularly for the elderly, young children and those with respiratory problems. Heavy smokers were especially vulnerable because of their already-impaired lungs, and smoking was common at the time, especially among men.

It wasn’t until undertakers began to run out of coffins and florists out of bouquets that the deadly impact of the Great Smog was realized. Deaths from bronchitis and pneumonia increased more than sevenfold. The death rate in London’s East End increased ninefold.

Initial reports estimated that about 4,000 died prematurely in the immediate aftermath of the smog.

The detrimental effects lingered, however, and death rates remained well above normal into the summer of 1953. Many experts now estimate the Great Smog claimed at least 8,000 lives, and perhaps as many as 12,000.

Aftermath of the Big Smoke

Initially, the British government was slow to act during the Great Smog. Heavy fog was, after all, a common occurrence in London and there was, according to most reports, no immediate sense of urgency to this smog event.

Following a government investigation, however, Parliament passed the Clean Air Act of 1956, which restricted the burning of coal in urban areas and authorized local councils to set up smoke-free zones. Homeowners received grants to convert from coal to alternative heating systems.

The transition away from coal as the city’s primary heating source toward gas, oil and electricity took years, and during that time deadly fogs periodically occurred, such as one that killed about 750 people in 1962. None of them, however, approached the scale of the 1952 Great Smog

Another Tory government shilly-shallied and caused unnecessary deaths - coincidentally, it was that of Winston Churchill, BJ’s hero … :roll_eyes:

Better late than never, though … :neutral_face:

2 Likes

You are mistaken RS, the smog certainly didn’t go away by itself.

Can you not remember the Clean Air Act 1956?

Hypocrites…I love this bloke, he talks sense…

1 Like

Now here’s a solution…

Cats

3 Likes

He’s correct, of course - the do as we say, not as we do brigade.

2 Likes