Civilized to Death by Christopher Ryan

I just posted this in another thread so will post it here as well while it’s in my head :lol:

I just finished listening to the audiobook of Civilized to Death:

I highly recommend it. I’ve heard reviewers say it will make you question everything, and I think that will be true for a lot of people.

Anyone brave enough to give it a try? If so I’d love to hear your thoughts! :023:

1 Like

Sounds intriguing - will go and rummage on Amazon!

1 Like

Oo nice one ST! Let me know what you think! :023:

I think @spitfire has started it too :sunglasses:

Sounds interesting, Azz - have just downloaded it onto my kindle.

1 Like

Awesome, let me know what you think Helen! :blush:

One of my neighbours has suggested we listened to it on our mountain walks - so that we can pause it and discuss as we go. I think it might turn our 5 hour walks into 10 hour ones because there’d just be so much to talk about :lol:

Ooh yes that does look really good!
I’ll definitely buy that

A game changer perhaps

1 Like

Nice one Rhian! I’ll look forward to hearing what you think :003:

Did anyone read this after? Be curious to hear what you think! :smiley:

Hopefully more people will spot this and give it a go too :003:

Sounds interesting.I don’t know whether he mentions them but the Australian Aboriginals knew how to control their environment very well until the Brits arrived and buggered it up.

2 Likes

He refers to hunter-gatherer tribes quite a lot John - definitely worth a read (or listen of the Audiobook!)

This bit contains a spolier...

I think (IIRC) in one section he says in HG-tribes only 7 seconds pass before a baby is picked up when it starts crying, and in contrast how in ‘developed’ nations they are often left crying for hours on end - and how that impacts their development.

It really is quite a fascinating book, and I think when a lot of people read it it will resonate with them and their intuition quite a bit :smiley:

2 Likes

Please desist from giving spoilers :wink:

Edit - thanks for doing that.

1 Like

Well, I just bought this. I have an open mind, given the mixed reviews on Goodreads. I think I will enjoy it, although it will likely raise more questions.

I’ve always maintained that as far as progress goes, just because something can be done, doesn’t mean it should be. :thinking:

2 Likes

Choosing not to do something is choosing to do something, ergo one progresses on that basis.

2 Likes