Shrinkflation

My lass at her tallest was a fiery 4’ 10" and since then she has shrunk a couple inches. I was always 20" taller than her, but she attacked others like a rottweiler cornered with her tongue. A tongue lashing from her never took prisoners, but that’s because they were stupid enough to doubt her abilities … I never did :grin:

2 Likes

I’m 5ft six …and a half!
Wether or not there’s anything fun about that is not for me to say.

1 Like

At 5’ 7" I’m a lot smaller than I used to be, but still good value for money…
:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Inflation has passed you by it would seem :wink:

2 Likes

See! Shrinkflation everywhere :rofl:

1 Like

Oh dear! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

And while we’re on the subject…I bought my usual vitamin tablets today. Tesco are doing a three for two deal. So instead of purchasing 90 tablets in one box costing £7.00 I bought what I thought were three 30 tablet boxes at £3.00 each, but with my Tesco card I get all three for £6.00…However, I get them home and notice there are only 28 tablets in the smaller boxes…
:astonished:
Robin B’stards.

1 Like

I’m 5ft 10 in the morning 5ft 8 by tea time.

1 Like

AND, AND, They have the bloody cheek to have notices all over the place saying…Every Little Helps…HAH.:rage::rage::rage::rage:

1 Like

Haven’t bought yoghurts in a while (used to make my own) but decided to order two for my delivery today, went to have some and was shocked that not only is the tub smaller but it’s only filled 3/4 of the way up AND it’s gone up in price!!!

Old: 500g
New 450g

Used to be £1.10 for the older bigger size!

Used to be £1.70 for the older bigger size!

And despite all this, the profits of so many of these companies have doubled or tripled since the start of the pandemic!!

I feel sorry for those who were already struggling, now, life must be really tough for them. Shame on our politicians, shame on the owners of these companies and shame on the managers who enable this kind of profiteering.

Wonder whether people will ever get fed up and actually do something about it…

Yes, I get the natural bio yoghurt for the dogs guts. A table spoon morning and night helps with keeping his tummy calm. Bit like me and my daily bottle of yakult.
Used to be £1.95 now it’s £2.58 and a smaller tub. Total rip off.

1 Like

And unfortunately it’s going to get a lot worse. Dairy farmers are under enormous pressure to cut down herds and adhere to net zero rules and regulations. Not just here but all over europe, strange that we are no longer in the EU but have to follow EU rules and regs concerning net zero.
Supermarkets are run by shareholders, so have to show a profit or else the shareholders will invest in a supermarket that will. Unlike the days of family run establishments where customer satisfaction was paramount. Now it comes down to shareholder satisfaction and the customer can ‘do one’…
Posts like this are all over X (formerly twitter) from ever country in europe. The farmers need our help!
https://x.com/justjane100/status/1763482595491283223?s=20
Welsh Farmers
Welsh farmers fighting for their livelihood and your fresh food and Yoghurts.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings about farmers. I hate what the supermarkets have done to them - refused to accept deliveries unless they agree to a lower price, essentially bullying and exploiting them. But I also hate that for many farmers it’s just about making money - Wales is one of the greenest places on earth yet farmers still feed animals GMO based grains!!

I also hate that they lobbied/supported govt to make the sale of raw milk illegal in supermarkets. We wouldn’t need to pasteurise milk if they kept the cows healthy and clean - pasteurisation just makes it easy to have crappy standards and is a completely de-natured product. So many benefits of drinking RAW milk, all down the pan for the watery crap people and children are forced to drink now.

2 Likes

I agree that not everything associated with farming is good Azz, but the farming industry is precious and should be protected or else who will fill the void? Food produced in the lab?

We’re not far off that already OGF (all gmo/pesticides/fertilisers etc, totally unnecessary if good farming principles are adhered to) and as usual the number one culprit is greed.

1 Like

The majority of food in the UK is sourced outside of the UK Azz, where dubious practices might not be monitored as efficiently as here. Lose farming and we will be subject to even more imported food. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater springs to mind…
Greed works both ways…Our preference to save a few quid buying imported food has had an impact on farmers too. We should buy British as often as we can, and I would be in favour of buying directly from the farmer.

I don’t begrudge everyday folk trying to save money when they have so many other bills and taxes to pay.

Why are we paying for food anyway? Who came along one day and said, right, I am going to claim ownership of this piece of the earth and then charge people for food that grows on it!

Have you read civilised to death yet? :wink:

1 Like

Coming back to these yoghurts, I was curious - how much have they actually gone up once you take the weight difference into account.

Well, the Duchy Yogurt is now 39p per 100g, whereas before it was 22p per 100g - so it has more or less DOUBLED in cost :icon_eek:

I despise these people, the greed is astounding!

1 Like

I understand costs have gone up etc

But I think retailers are exploiting this as an excuse to shrink sizes and charge more with an eye to their profits and they could do more to try to keep prices down

There’s always someone who doesn’t have any scruples about exploiting a bad situation for personal gain, just remember Covid and PPE

And making products smaller is a particularly sneaky way of doing it

Increasing the price of the regular sized product would at least be more transparent and honest

1 Like

I don’t have particularly warm feelings about farmers, maybe it’s because I’m a city girl

But they’ve been pleading poverty for as long as I can remember, and some of them are very wealthy landowners

And then there’s all that “we feed the nation” and “we put food in your mouth” rhetoric

It’s true, they do. But they don’t do it out of the goodness of their hearts, do they?

Farming is a business and an industry and they’re in it for the profits, like any other business

And if they could make more money from their farm and land by not putting food in my mouth, or by charging me more for that food, then I’m sure they would

Of course they’re entitled to lobby for better terms and help and fairness for their industry, just like any other business

But they are still a business and not a charitable organisation so their pleas should be considered in that light

They’re not doing us a favour

1 Like