Chunky, crunchy or smooth peanut butter? Which is better?

On my last food order, the grocery store was out of smooth peanut butter so I had to get chunky peanut butter if I wanted any. I tried it. Not my favorite. For me, it’s like eating jam with huge seeds in it. Do you crunch or melt?

Crunchy peanut butter has larger chunks of peanut in it. Crunchy peanut has slightly smaller pieces of peanut.

Here’s a PB&J with chunky peanut butter.

Looks like a fun place in London to get nut butters. They have chocolate and hazelnut, cashew and jalapeno and smokey chipotle.

If you eat peanut butter, what type do you prefer?
  • Chunky peanut butter
  • Crunchy peanut butter
  • Smooth peanut butter
  • Jalapeno cashew . . . what?

0 voters

1 Like

Life can be hell if you’re a smooth eater in a household of crunchies

1 Like

Both - I make smooth peanut butter for spreading on toast etc.,

I make crunchy peanut butter to use in baking - biscuits etc.,

Never tried ready made.

1 Like

I really want to like peanut butter, really i do. I think it would be very flavoursome, and I’d love to try a PB&J, just to see what it’s like, However, it’s too gloopy for me to eat and if I try some on a spoon, I spit it out quite quickly, I’m afraid. I like a variety of nuts, and I like butter, but the two together isn’t nice. :frowning_face:

I just noticed jalapeno cashew…:astonished: Yes! I’d like to try that!

1 Like

I don’t think there’s any butter in peanut butter, just peanuts.

2 Likes

I don’t understand…? Peanut butter it says, so peanuts & butter mixed up? Are you joking with me, because if you confuse me this early in the day, I’ll have to go and lie down. :joy:

@PixieKnuckles
Nut Butter doesn’t contain butter made from dairy milk - the “butter” is formed from the oil in the crushed nuts.

2 Likes

Ahh ok…thanks for this! :+1:

yep that’s what I thought. I don’t think you need to refrigerate it either, and it lasts for years.

1 Like

I’m now wondering what the difference is between “chunky” and “crunchy”

I like peanut butter to have plenty of chunky bits of nuts to give it a coarse, crunchy texture, so I’d vote for both.

2 Likes

I do have a small jar that I use for the dog to give her a tiny treat or her meds. It’s smooth though, and I keep it in the fridge. But then I keep everything in the fridge,

1 Like

… very good flavouring in veggie burgers.

1 Like

It`s nice on wholemeal bread with lettuce and cucumber.

1 Like

nice with marmite on wholemeal or any old bread.

3 Likes

I think it’s horrible.

1 Like

I’m a peanut and marmite addict , it’s spectacular , I can eat in straight from the jar ….it’s getting so I’m scared to buy it .

2 Likes

Depending on what kind I get, ready made can be quite different because some ready mades have oil and most have salt and sugar. Some even have hydrogenated oil. The ones with only peanut are closest but because they sit on a shelf, they separate and leave the dry part on the bottom and the oil on top.

Sounds yummy, no?

I was just going to suggest that. Maybe another nut would be better. Peanuts can be dense and sticky. It has the reputation of sticking to the roof of your mouth. Cashew butter has very slightly less of that. Maybe it you water if down with something?

I like peanut butter in sauces over pasta.

1 Like

Smooth always for me. My teeth (all my own) are 79 years old, so one has to be careful when choosing eatables.

1 Like

I’ll have a look online then and see if I can get some other variety. Peanut is the only one I have tried.

1 Like

Cashew is good but expensive. Almond butter is easier to find and less expensive than cashew, but is more similar to peanut butter. Almond butter also has the bitter almond skins. I don’t think I’ve tried walnut butter, but I think that’s less sticky but also has the bitter walnut skins.

If you have a food processor, it might be easier to make your own. Simple as can be. Throw some nuts into the processor. Let it process to the desired consistency.

I’ve made several nut butters this way. Tastes great just made. You can also make as much or as little as you’d like. And you can mix nuts too.

Only downside is cleaning the food processor because it gets pretty sticky and a bit oily but soaking it helps.

1 Like