Christmas Cakes

My mum always made it’s all Christmas cakes, always used the Marguerite Patten recipe and decorated them with a snow scene and little plastic figures

I love all the beautiful and clever cakes people make but those snow scene cakes are the Christmas cake of my childhood

So as mum’s not here any more to make them, I decided to have a go, first Christmas cake I’ve ever made!

6 Likes

Wow!!..Maree, that looks professional, well done you!..:+1::+1:

That’s just how my mother made ours, brought back memories.

I love how you have presented it on the table, with the celebrations ,ivy ,baubles, candle and the fir cones,looks lovely,:heartpulse:

1 Like

Thank you, happy memories :two_hearts:

1 Like

Boiled fruit cake with fruit and nut glaze.

8 Likes

Those look really delicious.

2 Likes

It looks really lovely - and I bet that is proper Royal Icing as well! Can’t stand the sickly sugar paste stuff some bakeries use.

1 Like

Beautifully presented,Lindyloo, they look delicious!..I’m lickin my lips!..:heartpulse:

1 Like

Thanks. I have to say they are far better than the usual fruit cake recipe I used to make…and a lot easier to make as well.

2 Likes

Thank you, yes, real royal icing, I don’t like fondant paste either

2 Likes

Oh how pretty they are, just lovely :+1:

1 Like

Maree and Lindyloo, I hope you are going to send me a nice piece of those cakes in the post, :rofl:…they look so yummy, :grinning:

1 Like

Any chance of the recipe, please? Have never made a boiled cake.

2 Likes

My Mum always made 2 christmas cakes from a recipe the local baker gave her when she moved here in 1945. Every year she wrote down all the ingredients and the cost and compared it the next year. Always had a snow topped scene and a red band around it.

3 Likes

Not a problem:
for an 8" tin (use one with loose bottom)
8 oz SR flour + pinch salt
5 oz butter
2 eggs
half tsp bicarb
6 tbsp golden syrup
qtr pint milk + 2 tbsp of brandy/rum/whatever
1.5 lbs of any kind of fruit - dates, raisins, currents sultanas, cherries, figs etc
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp mixed spice

Put butter, syrup and fruit in a pan and warm up - stir. Cool then put in bicarb.
In a bowl mix flour and spices. Beat eggs and put into flour. Put everything from the pan into the flour, mix and pour into a baking tin.
Cook for between 1.25 and 1.5 hours at gas mark 2 / 150c

Remove from oven and allow to cool a bit before taking tin off.

Glaze topping - put half a jar of apricot jam into a pan and 1-2 tbspn brandy - mix well and paint on top of cake. Have ready a mix of colourful luxury fruits and nuts, including apricots glace cherries and chopped root ginger in syrup. Arrange as much fruit as possible on top of cake and paint over generous amounts of apricot jam. Cool. Eat. Enjoy.

3 Likes

@Lindyloo - Thank you - will try that!

2 Likes

I will also be trying this delicious cake recipe, many thanks,Lindyloo.:grinning:

1 Like

I will also be trying this recipe,Maree, someone’s going to be busy!!..many thanks for posting,:+1::+1:

1 Like

Looks lovely @Maree and I’m sure that it will taste good as well.

1 Like

@Lindyloo those look great and very colourful, my mother in law used to put fruit on top of hers.

1 Like

I always make one but these days I don’t bother putting the plastic figures on. I put the royal icing on yesterday on top of the marzipan.
It’s got the cling film on it now. After cooking it I put a few holes in with a sqewer and pour drops of sherry in.

2 Likes