Cheapest PAYG Mobile? 1p

There are no free lunches.

The following review website (the first I Googled) came up with a plethora of irate customers saying this company is a scam, that it applies lots of random charges to your account and that you can’t contact their customer services.

Not really a worthy recommendation TBH.

Just one of the reviews:

“They ask for your credit card for the “free” service. Sketchy. Then they TRY to upsell you over and over. I carefully declined all upsells - I just wanted to try the “free” service” So I was activated and good to go. Only problem is is that it does not work. At all. I checked my credit card and found they were hitting it with charges - so NO means yes to them clearly. And my phone got taken over with tons of spam and windows popping open trying to get me to download things and install things. And there is NO customer service AT ALL. So I am left with money gone, lots of hours wasted, a phone that is deluged with garbage, and now I have to cancel my credit card because of the scam company hitting it. And the service does not work. I can not make call or get data. It just says I can not make a call from this phone. And no customer service at all means they get away with it. Time for a federal investigation"

What a pointless comment - just for example then since you mention “lunch”, try telling that to those using the huge variety of free meals service for the homeless or food banks.

And yet strangely FreedomPop too do offer a free service. :wink:
BTW this is not a “first” here in the UK to offer free mobile calls & texts, either.

I thought you only wanted to disagree and it seems I am proven correct.

Nice review link and selective quotation; anything to prove negativity towards whatever you do not approve of, eh?
Did you not note that the majority of reviews there are from outside the UK - or did you maybe conveniently disregard that part?
Why did you not tell us what the Trustpilot score was?
Okay, I will:
FreedomPop score on Trustpilot = 5.5 out of 10.
By comparison, EE = 1.5 out of 10 and Vodafone 0.5 out of 10. So according to Trustpilot, which is the worst?
:smiley:

Before you begin (as I know you will) to counter and say “but Trustpilot scores 1pMobile at 8.6” - yes, but you pay for it, as has been said before.

As for coverage - well three has 9.2 million customers as of December 2016 according to their website, plus how many MVNO’s? For example, Carphone Warehouse’s “iD mobile” uses that network too. So as I said yesterday, coverage cannot be as poor as your experience suggests.
People complain about coverage of all the networks. :wink:

Don’t mistake this as a personal recommendation of FreedomPop BTW. It is not. What it is though is proof that you can get cheaper than your recommendation which is, after all, what you yourself asked for.

And:

These statements have conclusively been proven incorrect.

Again, I am not personally recommending FreedomPop; I am showing what is available.
As a free service there are bound to be limitations.
To which end if anyone is interested, here is a 16-odd minute video with quite a comprehensive review.
From here in the UK. :wink:

There would appear to be little point in going further because you seem determined in your personal crusade.

Absolutely so, and this was the point of my initial response.
What a shame that the OP does not recognise this fact when even Ofcom do.

You’ve proved nothing Zaphod I’m sorry to say.

I truly hope noone has followed your leads to the Freedompop “free” mobile service. People have had to close down their bank accounts and credit cards to prevent further charges.

You know full well I did not cherry pick one negative public review. The internet is literally littered with terrible reviews of Freedompop and 90% of them are about the same scam which is customers appear to be being routinely charged for things they didn’t sign up for.

Here are some reviews from the actual Freedompop website community forum itself:

I shall leave readers here to make their own common sense judgement as to your “free” mobile service !!

https://forums.freedompop.com/us/categories/freedompop-uk

“I have been charged 12.98 this morning for no reason what so ever want a refund don’t know why this has happened again”

“I don’t know why I got 4 sim cards but I only assigned 1 a phone number and downgraded to the free plan before the end of the trial. Can you please refund the 3 charges and cancel the 3 sims? Also, I didn’t realize I needed to cancel the services that were included in the trial, so I canceled that too.”

“Unauthorized/unexplained charges
My paypal account was charged $89.94 and nowhere on my Freedom Pop billing page is the charge listed. What is this for and how to I stop the charge?”

“Being charged £3.99 for a ‘Free plan’
Received confirmation as follows: ‘This email is to inform you that your data plan has been downgraded to the free plan.’
But being charged £3.99 per month subsequently since October 2016 and have not used the phone and have '0’s shown on my use log. A full refund of the amounts withdrawn from my account would be greatly appreciated”

“I ordered a FreedomPop SIM in June having seen the deal online. Unfortunately the SIM wasn’t delivered and I moved on. I notice, however, that in July and August FreedomPop helped themselves to deposits of £10.98 from my account. Again, I received nor activated the SIM. How can this be?”

“I signed up for the free Freedompop account, which was 99p for the sim. I immediately checked my account and ensured I was registered for the Basic 200 package. I have since discovered I have received four monthly charges of £3.99 for the Premier Service which i did NOT sign up for, consent to or upgrade to.”

“Hi laura,
I had exactly the same problem as you - being billed for service NOT signed up for. Having been aware of this problem, I asked my credit card service NOT to accept any charges from FreedomPop - so no more charges!”

and so on and on and on.

100s and 100s of similar reviews/comments across the internet.

No there is no free lunch. Someone always has to pay somewhere in the chain.

Such responses give the appearance of no more than an infantile tantrum.
You’re sore because I provided a service cheaper than you thought available, so proving your statements wrong.

You did not ask for the best PAYG service nor for the most reliable, so the rest of your post is irrelevant.
If you had said for example “still I am willing to be proved wrong if there is a cheaper and equally reliable tariff.” you might have a point.
You did not, though - and the FreedomPop service obviously works for some people otherwise they could not continue trading.
As with much in life these things are relative; if you want the very cheapest there will be an alternative price to pay. :wink:

I proved that there is a cheaper alternative to your option.
It might not be the “bees knees”; it might indeed not the the best thing since the invention of the wheel but it is cheaper.
“Free” beats “£30” every time.

I’ll go along with that Zaphod :smiley:

Now boys, do settle down, we don’t want any fisticuffs at dawn :mrgreen:

Thank you Pesta, there’s no deed for a dawn rendezvous I’m sure.

For anyone who still has the desire, a link to a site comparing all PAYG tariffs:

Ok since Zaphod persists with the comparison with FreedomPop it deserves some finer analysis. Just as with trying to compare motor insurance quotes, the devil is always in the detail. What is included and what’s not? What are the real costs?

FreedomPop Basic Mobile

Firstly it is important to note that this mobile service uses VoIP for its calls/texts and as such is only available to smartphone users. That’s because you need their app to use it (a bit like Skype and Whatsapp).

This to be honest makes a huge difference to any analysis because very clearly, a smartphone, loaded with apps and generally used as they are for emails, sat nav, facebook and other social networking WILL use a huge amount of data vs a regular old “unsmart” nokia type phone.

This matters.

The Basic Deal/Cost

FreedomPop offer 200 texts, 200 call mins and 200MB of data each month for “free”

If you should exceed that 200MB data limit you will be charged 1.5p per additional MB of data used.

A key problem is that there is no way to know how much data you have in fact used which leaves you wide open to those extra charges. You DO have the option of buying into their Usage Service which comes at 99p/month, then you can see how much you have used.

Thus any reasonable assessment of the true costs of FreedomPop must surely include this additional service charge of (£11.88 per year).

There is an initial joining fee of £7.97

and if you want to transfer your existing mobile number over there is an additional cost of £4.99

By comparison, 1pMobile has:

No joining fee
No charge to see your usage
No charge to transfer your existing number over

General Data Usage

FreedomPop’s free 200MB of data is, for a smartphone laughably tiny and woefully inadequate even for light smartphone users. This is important because you will be charged 1.5p/MB for all additional data.

The USWITCH website offers the following guidance on smartphone data usage:

Low data user - ‘I’ll use it every so often, to keep up with friends and interesting news’ - 1GB/month needed

Medium data user- 'I need it for my email, social media and for entertainment’ - 3GB/month needed

Heavy data user -‘I rely on my phone for both entertainment and work’ - 5GB/month needed

The WhistleOut website provides a more detailed picture of likely data usage:

https://www.whistleout.com.au/MobilePhones/Guides/Mobile-broadband-usage-guide

It highlights the HOURLY data usage for typical smartphone activities and the appropriate monthly data allowance needed for such activities thus:

(Remember FreedomPop only give 200MB free per month)

Online gaming - 3MB/hr - Data allowance 1GB
Podcasts - 60MB/hr - - Data allowance 2GB
Web Browsing - 60MB/hr - Data allowance 2GB
FaceTime - 85MB/hr - Data allowance 3GB
Facebook - 80MB/hr - Data allowance 3GB
Music Streaming - 150MB/hr - Data allowance 5GB
Snapchat - 160MB/hr - Data allowance 5GB
Facebook Video - 160MB/hr - Data allowance 5GB
YouTube - 300MB/hr - Data allowance 10GB
Netflix - 250MB/hr - Data allowance 10GB
Instagram - 720MB/hr - Data allowance 20GB

As can be seen, a “free” monthly allowance of just 200MB is ridiculously small for a smartphone. You would burn through that allowance with 2-3 hours of Facebooking or web browsing.

Let’s do the math for the “Low User” that Uswitch suggests would need 1GB (1000MB) of monthly data allowance.

FreedomPop would give you 200MB free and you would then need a further 800MB on top which would be charged at 1.5p per MB. So that’s a cost of £12 for that month.

Follow that through for a full year and that’s £144 in data charges.

With the 1pMobile service you are charged a flat rate of 1p/MB with no free allowance so the 1000MB each month would cost £10 which is £120 per year, thus cheaper than FreedomPop even with its “free” allowances.

If you look at the math for the Medium (3GB) and Heavy (5GB) users then the FreedomPop situation looks even worse.

With FreedomPop the Medium user would pay £504 in extra data charges per year

The heavy user would pay £864 per year.

With 1pMobile the Medium user would pay £360 per year
The heavy user would pay £600

Clearly though these are ridiculously huge numbers and no sane user of a smartphone would entertain this kind of tariff. They would instead choose a contract tariff or “proper” PAYG deal.

A key problem with all smartphones is that they are full of apps and the user has little control over what those apps do. When you boot up a PC or laptop, the first thing that happens is a plethora of software applications go automatically hunting the internet to check for updates and download them. The same will be true of smartphone apps.
They will be pinging the network repeatedly, handshaking and checking for updates all the time eating in to the 200MB data allowance.

Overall I personally see this “free” service from FreedomPop as somewhat of a “data trap”. The monthly data allowance is tiny for an average smartphone user and so the true rate that applies here is 1.5p/MB vs 1pMobile’s 1p/MB

I want to be fair here and thus need to comment on the texts and call minutes.

FreedomPop offer 200 free texts per month which is 2400 per year.

With 1pMobile charging 1p/text that would equate to £24
The same would apply for the 200 mins of calls, £24.

The problem however is that data usage. That’s the clincher here. The relatively tiny amount (200MB/mth) of allowance is not going to be enough for most smartphone users and that’s where the costs spiral upward and make the texts and calls a negligible issue.

And none of the above even mentions all of the other charges that irate customers are being landed with. Nor the plethora of free trials and “offers” that they are plagued with and which they must be sure to opt out of in a timely fashion to avoid charges.

In the final analysis, had this FreedomPop service been available to ordinary “non smartphone” users, I would have conceded that at face value the free 200 texts and call mins were cheaper than 1pMobile. The data issues would not have applied. Even so the multitude of angry customers and poor reviews would have kept me personally away from the company.

As it is, being a service for smartphone users, I genuinely don’t believe that in any reasonable analysis of usage, that FreedomPop would be cheaper than 1pMobile. 1.5p/MB is not cheaper than 1p/MB.

For it to be so you would have to be a smartphone owner who had paid significant money for a sim-free unlocked smartphone, who had pretty much removed all the apps on it and who basically treated it as an old “non smart” phone.

That just doesn’t seem a realistic scenario TBH.

I did try to resist responding, really I did.
Deception as an attempt to influence others though I disagree with.

No.
Have a look yourselves if you want; this for example was posted less than a month ago:
“Actually the cheapest was to get a SIM from them is to get one from Iceland food shop for 79P then activate it for a total of 1P.”

(In comments after the review.)

Or how about one posted free - just activation of 99p to pay?
https://uk.freedompop.com/offer/uksoldoutsim?utm_source=TD&utm_medium=digidip+UK&utm_term=6b97bee24bf295a873ed7802644ff66a&utm_campaign=affiliate
From link here: Freedompop Sim 1p including delivery (200min/200 texts/200mb+) + 2Gb data +ultd text/talk for 1 month | hotukdeals
(Available on Amazon too.)

Yes, on FreedomPop’s own website (if you really would rather spend more, but why?) it is £4-95 plus postage plus activation - but savvy shoppers look for deals. :wink:

Another example?

Most smartphones made in the last 5 years or so should work with the provider; their website says so clearly.
https://uk.support.freedompop.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3094

I don’t know what your idea of “significant money” for a new phone is, but you can get (just for example, mind) an Alcatel Pixie 3 sim free for under £27 delivered at Amazon, or under £30 (which includes a mandatory £10 top-up) at Carphone Warehouse.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alcatel-Pixi-3-5-Inch-SIM-Free-Smartphone/dp/B01AIL9CF4
That is new.
Given that Realist is suggesting (now, strangely) that most people will spend far more on usage, that is not what I would call “significant money” for a smartphone.

I could go through bit by bit but I won’t subject poor readers to more.
Again, I am certainly not promoting the use of FreedomPop; they are however cheaper than Realist’s beloved 1pMobile.
As I say in earlier posts, free is cheaper than a minimum £30 per annum.
I get the impression that Realist does not like that I found cheaper.

• A note if anyone is still interested*

The following video clearly explains how FreedomPop works together with both advantages and pitfalls of this provider and advice on using the service. Beware though; it is 16-odd minutes long.

Here’s a shorter but written review:

The following allows for comparison of PAYG plans/tariffs by your actual usage.:
https://www.mobilephonechecker.co.uk/payg-sims/

Have a “play”; you will see that Realist’s preferred option of 1p Mobile don’t come out as the cheapest option very often.
:mrgreen:

lol

That IS truly laughable because in all that long post of diversionary material, you stayed well away from the primary issue concerning FreedomPop which I clearly highlighted and provided figures for.

The issue of data usage.

FreedomPop is clearly NOT cheaper than 1pMobile because at the end of the day, you are going to be paying 1.5p per MB of data vs just 1p per MB from 1pMobile.

The 200MB that they give you free isn’t going to go anywhere. Most users will burn through that in a few hours !!!

I’m flattered really because your deliberate avoidance to tackle that fundamental issue really is admission of defeat in this comparison.

You’re wasting Your time Zaphod,when Realist gets the bit between His teeth,He never gives in…He just CAN’T be wrong You see…First it was ‘Big Pharma’…then ‘The Loony Labour Party’…now it’s this…just draw a line under it Kid as that’s what most of Us do :wink:

Understood & I can now see that.

http://positiveattitudenation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Wise-people-know-when-to-stay-quiet-214x300.jpg

:wink:

and you were doing so well . . .

http://www.over50sforum.com/picture.php?albumid=1147&pictureid=10736

Gawd, are you two still at it? :-p

Wow there is even a “Victims Of FreedomPop” Facebook page !

I hardly use my mobile, it’s only here for emergencies. Mt payg is with Tesco, and i’m sure i don’t need to pay every three months to keep it going.

There are 3 different PAYG tariffs with Tesco Mobile.

Rocket Pack Tarrif, Triple Credit Tariff and Lite Tariff.

The first 2 involve top ups with free credit and/or bundles thrown in much like any other mobile service. The standard rate charges however associated with these is awful:

Calls - 25p/min
Texts - 10p
Data - 10p/MB
Voicemail - 15p/min

Any bundle calls/texts/data only last a month and are then lost.

If you only use your mobile for emergencies I will assume you are on the Lite Tariff as Tesco describe it thus:

“Our pay as you go Lite tariff is great if you use your phone occasionally”

This has a cheaper standard tariff but nevertheless is is still far far more expensive than many other mobile services. The Lite Tariff is:

Calls - 8p/min
Texts - 4p
Data - 10p/MB
Voicemail - 8p/min

By comparison, 1pMobile’s charges are:

Calls - 1p/min
Texts - 1p
Data - 1p/MB

Big difference !

There is a minimum top up of £10 for Tesco Mobile.

All this said, the scenario of a purely “Emergency Phone” has been discussed in this thread. It is a unique scenario for which the tariff imo is a secondary issue. It’s not really what this thread is about. The most important requirement for any emergency mobile would be the network coverage. You would want the very best coverage wherever you happened to be, full signal strength at all times. The network which would deliver that, imo, would be Vodafone, unquestionably. The tariff is more expensive than Tesco and others, but since you won’t be using the phone except for that emergency then it hardly matters.

I received today the mobile my son sent to replace my Doro flip phone which stopped working. Its actually his partners phone as she is supplied one by her employers and is allowed to keep the old one when they update the company phones.
I was really surprised as its a Samsung Galaxy 6.

I ordered a 1p a minute sim and have now put that into the cheap unlocked mobile I was using while waiting a couple of weeks for the Samsung, so now I’ve got the cheap rate calls when I phone out. Everything with the new sim went smoothly as soon as I had connected to the new chat network.

Thank you Realist for the tip off about the cheap 1p network.

Welcome MC

Since you have (I assume) a smart phone, just be mindful of any data usage from the various apps on the phone. I don’t use a smart phone so can’t help much but I’d be looking at every app to see if there are any settings that allow you to, for example, disable auto updates and the like.

I still have over £5 of my original £10 topup since I started with 1pMobile and I text my wife every day. :slight_smile:

I haven’t read all the posts on this thread, but if someone wants a really really simple monthly payment, take a look at Giffgaff. They call their monthly deals “goody bags”…I think they’re brilliant.

Oh, if you sign up, please get in touch first, as we could both share the introduction incentive.

This is a thread devoted to PAYG mobile tariffs Lindy not monthly contract tariffs which are a completely different ball game.

Giffgaff’s PAYG service is horribly expensive compared to 1pMobile.

Giffgaff: Calls 5p/min - Texts 5p each - Data 5p/Mb

1pMobile: Calls 1p/min - Texts 1p each - Data 1p/MB

Giffgaff “Goodie Bags” simply turn a PAYG service into a Pay Monthly service so they are not comparable.

1pMobile remains the cheapest PAYG service at present as far as I can determine. The only commitment is a top up of at least £10 every 4 months, so £30 per year total.