Cheap Microsoft office?

I am using free MS office over 1 year. Working well so far. But never think for the paid one.

I havenā€™t heard of a free MS Office. May I ask how you obtained it?

Maybe meant OpenOffice or LibreOffice.

Yes. That makes sense.

A good find Omah especially the background removal feature. I canā€™t remember this feature in Office 2007 either.

BTW - did you get your problem sorted out?

Iā€™m gradually working my way through the ā€œOffice basicsā€ online training plan (attached) - most facilities are unchanged but with added levels of complexity.

However, another discovery was that Office no longer contains Clip Art - not surprising, really, given that everyone has (fast) internet access to a world of art ā€¦ :024:

I repaired Office to reverse any changes that Iā€™d made. I still get asked to log in intermittently but, since itā€™s a common problem, Iā€™ll live with it for now ā€¦ :102:

One of the good things, about OneDrive, is the ability to use it as a central, powered on all the time, location for files.

For example, I use Outlook 2016 on several machines and have the ability to store the various Data folders, on OneDrive, as I log off one of the PCs which leads to the ability to go on another PC,or Tablet, or Phone, at any time day or night, which is already synced and has ready the new files from the central data file. If you see what I mean!
I only have two concerns (1) I donā€™t like not knowing where my files are and so I am wary of the security (2) There is a very tight limit on the free data allowance.
A plus is the off site backup capability - but the low data allowance limits thisā€¦
Iā€™m about to try to replicate the OneDrive process, in house, using the ability to hook a Hard drive up to my Netgear Router and get to it over the net.
We shall see.

I use Google Drive for much the same purpose (15Gb free storage as opposed to 5GB on One Drive). If I save my files to the Google Drive folder on my PC they automatically gets synched to my online drive. My Outlook calendar is synched to my Gmail account with an Outlook add-on called Gsynch which in turn are automatically synched to my tablet and phone. Any alterations or additions to the calendar on any of the devices are immediately reflected on the other devices. Same with emails which use IMAP - all go to and from all devices automatically.

Donā€™t you just love technology? :slight_smile:

Never thought of Google Drive, Judd!

I must give it a try!

OOps!

Apparently Google Drive is being shut down & removed.

Will have a look at whatā€™s replacing it!

Whatā€™s the betting that the replacement will have a smaller allowance & higher cost?

Thatā€™s only the GD app on PCs - the GD drive itself remains. No doubt another method of synching data will be in the pipeline?

ETA - a new synch program is available now, will install it shortly. The difference is that at one time you had to put any files to be synchronised into a dedicated folder. This new version allows synching of any folder.

Will pop back after itā€™s installed.

I didnā€™t know that ā€¦

For the home user, it seem that only the app, i.e. the means of access to Google Drive is going to change:

When Google Drive is going away, and how

Note that Google doesnā€™t appear to be making any changes to the Drive service itself, just the apps. Google currently offers 15GB of online storage with Drive, and those files are accessible with any device with a Drive app installed. Those devices include Android devices, iPhones, and iPadsā€”whose Drive mobile apps are apparently being left untouched.

Google said it will stop supporting the Drive app for Macs and PCs on December 11, and the Drive app will simply stop working on March 12, 2018. At that point, consumers will have to use Backup and Sync. Business customers subscribed to Googleā€™s G Suite apps will be shifted over to Drive File Stream, a preview app that is now being pushed mainstream.

Have now downloaded and installed Googleā€™s back-up and synch program and is working well. The installation removes the old Google Drive service but retains the contents of the PC mounted Google Drive folder. Rather than copy my work docs to the GD folder to synch as before, I can get them to synch directly from their respective save folders as well as my GD folder. You can also synch your photos (if you wish) to your Google Drive too. :023:

As an added bonus, the program doesnā€™t run automatically at boot time, it can be run from the desktop icon. Itā€™s also a lot faster at synching and you can see the progress of the files being synched - a great advance on the old system where you didnā€™t know whether it was synchronising or not.

Excellent ā€¦ :023:

Iā€™ll get round to it as soon as I finish my Office training course ā€¦ :wink:

No No Noā€¦ You had me worried for a moment there but it is just the app that is being replaced not the service. Google Drive storage and Photos go on.

Remember Picasa was abandoned but the photo service went on as Google Photos, this is much the same.

Google Backup and Sync downloaded and installed on 2 PCs with no problems ā€¦ I took the opportunity to clean up not only the Google Drive folders but also the additional folders that I want to include for syncing ā€¦ :slight_smile:

:023:

Aye, lifeā€™s grand. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m a Good Boy, I pay Ā£5.99 a month to Microsoft.

I only have one of the free programmes OpenOffice, which is probably good enough for what i need. But if this a bargain, iā€™ll move up.
Could someone explain to me why itā€™s so much better, what extras will i be getting ?
Thanks.

You wonā€™t be getting much more to be honest, if you are happy with Open Office stay with it.