Cheap Microsoft office?

I agree … :023:

I bought MSO 2016, but only because I always use MS Office anyway, although I’ve tried other products.

Many free office products are more than adequate for most uses.

Thank you.
I’m not very computer savvy, so the basic stuff is fine. I just thought if it was a lot better i’d get it while it’s cheap.

As Purwell says, if you only do word processing and spreadsheets, Open Office/Libre will do the trick. In my case I need more features such as Outlook, Access and Publisher occasionally so this offer was a bargain.

“Tell us the account you want to open _vti_rpc.”

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Repeated-prompt-to-login-and-open-vti-rpc-when-using-Office-2016-apps-with-documents-stored-in-OneDrive-03b11ce6-b736-4473-a19f-88e9d299ac2a

Applies To: Excel 2016 Word 2016 PowerPoint 2016 Performance Point Dashboard Designer

Last updated: September 11, 2017

ISSUE

When using Office 2016 apps and opening, editing, or saving Word files stored in OneDrive, you may be prompted to login with the following message: “Tell us the account you want to open _vti_rpc.”

This is a known issue and our engineering team is working on a fix. You may close this window in the meantime to bypass logging in. We apologize for this inconvenience and we will update this page as soon as we have a fix in place.

Sometime soon, maybe … :069:

I uninstalled OneDrive as I have no need for it being a Google Drive user. The OD seems to be more bother than it’s worth?

OneDrive is not a problem - it’s the Office 2016 interface to it that’s causing the problem … well, more of an annoyance really … :frowning:

I find OneDrive OK, but Dropbox has the annoying habit of automatically saving files when I update them.

Then, when I do what I routinely do and drag-copy the updated file from my computer to Dropbox, I find that it is saved as ‘(file name)-copy’.

Again, an inconvenience as I should really remember to check first, but I’d like to be able to turn off the automatic copy facility but cannot. The Dropbox people haven’t bothered to reply to my query.

Last updated: October 13, 2017

Repeated prompt to login and open “_vti_rpc” when using Office 2016 apps with documents stored in OneDrive [FIXED]
Last updated: September 18, 2017

ISSUE

When using Office 2016 apps and opening, editing, or saving Word files stored in OneDrive, you may be prompted to login with the following message: “Tell us the account you want to open _vti_rpc.”

Login prompt to open _vti_rpc

This issue is now fixed in Version 1708 (8431.2079). To get the update immediately, open any Office 2016 app and choose File > Account > Update Options > Update Now

I’ve installed the update and tested an existing document - no login prompt occurred … :023:

Thanks, Omah,

Oddly, my Office 2016 was set to update automatically, but I told it to look to see if any were available.

And there were.

It was the same for me so I’ll have to do a weekly/monthly check … :024:

MSO has just thrown a wobbly …

All apps failed to open with error 0xc0000142

Attempts to repair failed

MS advised uninstall then reinstall

When I reinstalled, I was warned that the full version was only available until 6/11/17, i.e. today

MSO is now working OK, but, if it seizes up tomorrow, I shal be contacting the vendor for advice

The free version of the product shown in this film clip has good reviews.

Haven’t used it myself so can’t comment.

Thanks … :023:

I don’t really want another scanner, though … :wink:

Currently, MSO is working OK … :slight_smile:

ETA Your suggestion prompted me to run SFC - several corruptions found and repaired.

Powerpoint can record your work on a PC screen and include it in the presentation, which is good, but, it appears, cannot record simultaneous audio, which is bad.

So, I’ve downloaded and trialled Bandicam which records both video and audio from a PC screen.

In the trial, I have uploaded videos to YouTube.

Examples in:

MuseScore 2 music notation software

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=49351

I’m hearing that some Microsoft Office Pro Plus 2016 users have been finding that their activation no longer works.

Don’t know how extensive this is but would be let us know if it happens to you?

Maybe done by the latest Big Update.

No. I’m still using the old Office 2007 which is still problem-free.

My installation is still working after the latest (1803) update.

Omah,

Can you check the end date?

When does it expire?

As far as I can tell:

Beta Expiration: 01/01/1601
License Status: —00B_GRACE—
Remaining Grace: 1 Day

Whatever that means … :102:

Don’t understand that either.

I’m now looking at the theory that the cheepo versions can only be activated once!

If so, they’re done for if you change machines, etc.