Charity Shops, Do You Shop in Them?

You’re not stupid …
To Quotehighlight the text you want to quote and a little orange Quote tab pops up …Just click on that. It opens the reply box for you with it already in.

The @ thingyjust type @ and a drop down list will appear with all the contributors to this threads names on it … just click on the one you want.

Books,cd’s.

They are called OP Shops here,short for Opportunity.

I have worked in an Oxfam books only shop.Obviously some self interest involved there.
And a PDSA.They are very keen on steam cleaning the clothes.I was never senior enough to be trusted with operating the MACHINE.

2 Likes

noted dangerous… in the Laundry …is there more to this trusting thing than your letting on?..

2 Likes

:slight_smile: No.I was in charge of turning on the kettle though.

5 Likes

Me too!

Polly… :smiley:.

2 Likes

Do you two want to outbid each other…my delivery charges are only at cost…I started with £25 to bidder No.1…if you wish you can be bidder No.2…simple ST :smiley:

2 Likes

There is no way I would ever eat or drink anything in a ‘pavement’ cafe!

I wonder will they disappear again when the plague has gone? Have a horrible feeling they won’t!

Hi

@Morticia

Thanks that works.

I am stupid at lots of things, the important day to day things, the things that matter.

I can do very complex Maths in my head, compute loads of info quickly and make a decision.

Most of the time those decisions were right, sometimes they where wrong, hence my severe PTSD.

If I got things wrong people died or had life changing effects.

On a day to day level I am useless, I cannot even find my car keys and it takes me ages to do anything practical.

I am a nightmare, I mean well.

Putting a picture up can be a major disaster, but that is a very useful skill.

My skills are different, putting down a machete wielding idiot is automatic, but how often does that happen?

I would swap for the day to day everythings people can do.

1 Like

Thanks - but no thanks. I do really like it but already have too much crockery as it is!

1 Like

When we moved here we came light…all china was white only the rest went to the charity shops…All furniture went also to the Charity shops that help the under paid ones, we purchased the furniture that was here…it was all light oak/pine and ours was Mahogany, nice but wrong for a house of 1801.
The Removal Lorry was in main,full of Garden Equipment which means all benches, garden furniture, oh just tonnes of gear…Husbands mass sets of Tools. Radio Tower even the wheel barrows…Two beds and some curtains and most Kitchen gear…Clothes as I have a change of sizes with Hashimoto’s = 3 wardrobes!
haha all that because you have a load of china… :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

:slight_smile: I have been told that if we move from here.One lorry will be needed just for the plants in the garden.

3 Likes

I have had some great book & music finds in charity shops.

3 Likes

I managed a huge book of gardening… the RHS Encyclopedia Plants and Flowers for 1 Euro…it is used so much as well

3 Likes

One of my recent finds was a copy of Titanic: Signals of Disaster. It is a timeline of all radio signals sent by & to MGY, the Titanic’s radio room. And it includes a copy of the Oylimpics radio log too.

The following is a friends QSL card.

mgy1

4 Likes

Yes. We both love charity shops. We buy clothes as well as household items. Its fun finding good quality unique items that somebody else treasured. Some of my coolest finds have been from charity shops. Beautiful tea pots and cup & saucers. We go when we get an extra discount.

When we moved we gave a lot to our local charity shops. It’s good to help out whenever possible to those less fortunate.

3 Likes

Lovely jacket and pottery.

I love charity shops. There is a huge one near us that is on 3 floors of an Art Deco cinema. They only sell furniture and household items. I bought a solid cherrywood octagonal drinks cabinet for £20 and a big virtually unused Portmeirion oval dish for £10. They both would have cost a lot of money new.

My favourite clothing items are an unused silk and linen Ann Harvey off white jacket for £5 and a Windsmoor wool and cashmere jacket for £8.

4 Likes

I do like to look through charity shops, especially in other towns we visit. I have bought lots of toys for the grandchildren, to keep at our house for when they visit. Then when they grow out of them, I take them back and buy more. I used to buy books, but no longer because these days I always read on my Kindle.

My daughter has found quite a few clothing bargains, many brand new with tags, at a fraction of the new price. And I have bought several things for my granddaughter when she was just a baby or toddler, because at that age clothes get very little wear, so the second hand ones were almost like new.

I never buy clothes for myself, though. I just can’t. It’s early training I think - when I was a child, my siblings and I may not have had many clothes, but what we had were always new.

3 Likes

I love shopping in charity shops, I have some beautiful designer clothes,boots, shoes , some are brand new and I’m extremely picky on what I buy.

1 Like

I have just counted the coats and jackets I have…13 new ones and 9 charity shops ones…+ I did not count my gardening Coats!
or sweatshirt zip up ones either…I knew I had a lot though…just when you count them… :thinking: Why…

2 Likes