Charity Shops, Do You Shop in Them?

We do not have loads of Charity Shops like we did in Bexhill on Sea…they were something of a hobby to me and a good place for a bargain. I still have many clothes I had purchased from them back then… and yes often went for the so called esigner labels as well.
I bought ‘this way’ out jacket for £5.00, worn it out, just the once, maybe never wear it again, but I would never part with it…
.Like donating to them as well…
dressed down with jeans black or silver grey…
the pictures makes it look weird fashion but it looks good when teamed well…
My Local Animal Charity the Hope Association is open this Sunday …thinking of going ,but it would be my first Visit since covid happened…
all this for 10 euros…

7 Likes

That’s a lovely jacket Di!

:hugs:

3 Likes

I like the tableware Di :+1: :smiley:

3 Likes

Not really but I have stopped selling stuff and tend to give everything to a small cat rescue charity I try to support which has a shop.

4 Likes

Hi

I love them, I buy a lot in them, especially things for the house.

3 Likes

I like charity shops too. I buy a lot of books from the local ones.

3 Likes

I will get it for you for say.£25.00 + delivery expenses… :innocent:
it is for the animal charities after all

1 Like

All books regardless are 1 Euro and this Sunday all clothes are 1 Euro each…they are very fussy what they take, as anything not sellable, cost them money to dispose of it…

2 Likes

My friends that are here at the moment…she is addicted to the place for sure…she purchased two long sets of curtains for sliding doors…2 Euros each…
The only issue I have is the food they bring in from Ireland is very costly.when sold to the public again…the mark up is too high so | wont entain that at all…charity or not…

1 Like

I might buy kick knacks, books,and stuff but I’d never ever buy clothes.
I know they wash them but no … not for me. I’d rather stick with my own clothes till they’re threadbare.

2 Likes

Some charity shops here have paperbacks 50p each, another has 3 for £1, but the dearest are £1 each.

2 Likes

I scour them for books and blu rays. There are some bargains to be had.
We’ve also donated quite a bit of stuff as well. Although it’s more difficult to donate at the moment

1 Like

I love them ,my husband buys a lot of books there.I buy quite a few vases and nick nacks

1 Like

WE still have too many in Bexhill instead of useful shops , it is either them or pavement type cafes which clutter up our high street. it is about time the local council clamped down and restricted the number of both. also “gift” shops need restriction as well

2 Likes

Same in my neck of the woods RS … and since Covid encouraged outside drinking due to social distancing the pavements are cluttered with tables and chairs and most all of them got permission for extended licensing hours. The village is full of drunks come 11 at night.
As a pedestrian I sometimes now end up walking in the road if I choose to distance a little.

My Husband dislikes charity shops…does support charities though mainly Cats. He was one of 5 and although being the oldest he got the first wearing, often the clothes were not new to start with.
That is where he gets his dislike of 2nd Hand Clothes…he would never knowly wear them…

2 Likes

Hi

Realspeed.

Your local Council have been stripped of many of their powers, a deliberate policy of Government over the last 10 years.

They cannot object to the vast majority of Change of Use Applications.

It is part of the Governments Deregulation and Business Friendly Policy.

As for the pavement cafes, they were allowed by central government due to Covid restrictions and restarting the economies.

This has now been extended.

Things have changed, permanently, this is the new reality.

I’m the same.
That’s why I dislike them. I always had my sister’s hand-me-downs and a great many clothes were from charity shops or jumble sales.

1 Like

Ain’t that the truth … and the hospitality sector will undoubtedly be the first to recover judging by the bustling bars and pubs in my area.

Two cafes closed during Covid. Small independents.
Two larger licensed bars have opened to replace them.
Three more local bars and one restaurant had a total refurbishment during lockdown.
There seems to be money sloshing about for those who know where to get their hands on it.

Hi

Morti, first of all you are spot on, secondly I still have not to grips with quotes and @ on here.

I am as stupid as ever.

The big money people are making a fortune out of Brexit, deregulation and Covid.
Ordinary people are suffering.